Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla ever allow battery upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So since this thread was last active batterygate and chargegate hit where many of those of us with older cars like my P85 were hit with range reductions and drastic supercharging speed reductions........frankly Tesla isn't even allowing us to keep what we had, why would they allow upgrades?

Crash it. Get a better model with insurance and gap insurance. Or sell it and upgrade. Most of us who own Tesla’s will never keep one long enough to worry about it. It’s just like owning an iPhone or android. When a new one comes out techies get the new one. Besides who owns their very first computer and upgraded it year after year? No one. You toss it and get the new one. Yes it’s expensive but so is life. You will always have a car note or at some point you will drive something that is obsolete or you will spend more than it’s worth and it will become unreliable. Nothing last forever that’s man made for daily use. These are “gas car guy” worries. Us Tesla folks simply need to dream about what’s next. Enjoy it for now. It’s the best thing for you until the next best thing comes out. Trade it for the 500 plus mile cybertruck. Lol. Happy Friday

Crash it. Get a better model with insurance and gap insurance. Or sell it and upgrade. Most of us who own Tesla’s will never keep one long enough to worry about it. It’s just like owning an iPhone or android. When a new one comes out techies get the new one. Besides who owns their very first computer and upgraded it year after year? No one. You toss it and get the new one. Yes it’s expensive but so is life. You will always have a car note or at some point you will drive something that is obsolete or you will spend more than it’s worth and it will become unreliable. Nothing last forever that’s man made for daily use. These are “gas car guy” worries. Us Tesla folks simply need to dream about what’s next. Enjoy it for now. It’s the best thing for you until the next best thing comes out. Trade it for the 500 plus mile cybertruck. Lol. Happy Friday
Um, or not?

My P85 Model S is 6 years old. My X90D is 4 years old. I'm fortunate that my P85 is unaffected by any range changes - though I don't Supercharge that vehicle since it's not my road trip car. But I can't imagine just getting rid of it because something new comes out. It's still better than the majority of new cars I pass on the road.

Exactly my thinking on the SR+ purchase. Between that and Elon Musk saying that the car is a million mile power train but the current battery is half that, there is already a “future” plan to replace battery packs. Not like next year, more like 5 to 10 years.

If they do that would be awesome. I am getting the MCU2 upgrade end of the week. The only gripe I have is the battery range. I am ok with the vehicle condition and I am fine having the original AP1 since I don't plan to use the FSD anyhow. I would love to be able to get a discount upgrade swap to a 90 or 100 if possible. At 100% I am able to get a max range of 220, which is about 22 miles of range lost after 95k miles and a little over 5 years. It was about 242 if I recall brand new.

Um, or not?

My P85 Model S is 6 years old. My X90D is 4 years old. I'm fortunate that my P85 is unaffected by any range changes - though I don't Supercharge that vehicle since it's not my road trip car. But I can't imagine just getting rid of it because something new comes out. It's still better than the majority of new cars I pass on the road.

I don't think Chris meant to crash your car every time a new car comes out. Aside from being painful it would seem that insurance companies would get a little grumpy with you. I think he is saying that once that burn kicks in to upgrade most car enthusiasts will find a way to upgrade. Whilst I am still in awe of my trusty ol' 2015 Model S 70D I sure would love to have closer to a 400 mile range. While I won't crash the car I sure am looking for options to trade up in the future.

The recent options offered by Tesla, like MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades (which have evolved in various flavors of lower cost according to the state of the MCU1 and the screen), CCS upgrade in EU (with price decreasing significantly), the eMMC repair done by Tesla now instead of full MCU1 replacement, also at a much lower price... These are all for older cars. They all extend old cars’ live spans significantly, in terms of usability and convenience.
It would make sense for Tesla to also offer battery upgrades as soon as cars start reaching the end of the 8 years battery warranty.
Which is about end of this year.
It is also in line with the sustainability value they push forward.

All in due time imho.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m new here and new to Tesla. I just place an order on a used 2017 MS 90D FSD. I’ve heard that you can purchase codes from Tesla to unlock the battery. What I mean is that if you have a 60 you can unlock the battery to up to an 85 and they send you the badges to match the battery. Therefore if I have a 90D I could potentially unlock the battery to be a 100D and re-badge it. Is this a true or a false statement and if true what is the cost for such an upgrade.

I’m new here and new to Tesla. I just place an order on a used 2017 MS 90D FSD. I’ve heard that you can purchase codes from Tesla to unlock the battery. What I mean is that if you have a 60 you can unlock the battery to up to an 85 and they send you the badges to match the battery. Therefore if I have a 90D I could potentially unlock the battery to be a 100D and re-badge it. Is this a true or a false statement and if true what is the cost for such an upgrade.
There were only some vehicles that had software locked capacity. The 60D is an example of such a vehicle.

I have not heard of any 90D being software locked - you'll be getting a battery pack with slightly less than 90kWh of capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is a 40 that can unlock as a 60. There is a true 60 that cannot be unlocked. There is a 60 and 70 than can unlock as a 75. There is a true 70 that cannot be unlocked. And only outside the US there is an 85 that masquerades as a 75 that cannot be unlocked

As ohmman mentioned, the 90s and 100s are not software locked.

If they do unlock your car, Tesla will rebadge the outside and the screen inside.

On a rare occasion a warranty replacement will be made larger than the original. Those cars usually get rebadged as the newer, higher range. I have not heard of Tesla bothering to software lock those larger batteries back to the original capacity.

Last edited:
When new cells come out, would it be an option to replace the 90 cells for new ones, basically making it a new million miles 90 pack? This would not influence any of the car parameters, but would unlock full supercharging again.
It is certainly technically possible, even to limit the new, larger batteries back to lower capacities, although when Tesla has done it they have typically left the capacities higher.

The newer cars have thicker cabling for faster supercharging, so you won't get the benefit of faster peak rates.

I think the more interesting question is what happens to the average supercharging rates on DIY upgrades if Tesla weren't to offer it.

Tesla was pretty generous with roadster battery upgrades and S/X uncorking. Although on the latter people complained sooooo much I can see why they might hesitate to be generous again.

The recent options offered by Tesla, like MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades (which have evolved in various flavors of lower cost according to the state of the MCU1 and the screen), CCS upgrade in EU (with price decreasing significantly), the eMMC repair done by Tesla now instead of full MCU1 replacement, also at a much lower price... These are all for older cars. They all extend old cars’ live spans significantly, in terms of usability and convenience.
It would make sense for Tesla to also offer battery upgrades as soon as cars start reaching the end of the 8 years battery warranty.
Which is about end of this year.
It is also in line with the sustainability value they push forward.

All in due time imho.

Here's the hoping.

I've got an 11/13 built S85 and plan to do the MCU2/LTE upgrade when it is available to me, and I would love to see an upgradable battery pack that will offer ~300 mile range and SuC speeds from 10-80 SOC% in 50 minutes. Many folks have said there's no money to be made by Tesla, and suspect the practical course of action would be to buy a new Tesla. I'm someone who is concerned about sustainability and would rather do what I can to keep the car in use as long as I practically can.

They will eventually provide battery upgrade option. The battery technology will keep improving with higher density and lighter weight. To be able to achieve their goal of sustainability, upgrade battery must be one of them, the question to ask is when will this happen.
I suspect it will eventually be possible to do an upgrade with a home storage option that converts a battery that has reached a point where it’s not good for a car, but still perfectly acceptable for home storage.