Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer the facelift bumper as a retrofit?

Will Tesla offer to upgrade a classic Model S to the new front bumper?

• No. Sell your classic Tesla and buy a new one.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • Yes. The retrofit is rather easy and doable by Tesla.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • No, but the aftermarket will offer a bumper kit that will do the trick.

Votes: 89 49.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see it happening. Does Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Chev/Ford offer retrofit kits to make an older model look like a current model? Nobody does that. Tesla did some of that sort of thing in the early years, but as the grow they can't afford to dedicate resources to that sort of thing.

Yes Actually, BMW and Porsche offer retrofit kits for specific model upgrades.

Sorry for the previous posts, sure wish there was a delete or edit button in this forum.

Here is a newer link, the website makes it confusing but this should help. The price tag is steep ($2500) and can be reserved for a $500 deposit. Expected to ship in August. They offer shipping to the body shop of your choice and the bumper cover will come painted to match your paint code or primer. The Karstyle website is confusing because it shows the old nose cone upgrade kit, and that is all you can buy on the website so there has been some confusion (myself included) as to what they are selling. This is a complete replacement front bumper cover which will work with existing attachment points, headlights, etc.

I reserved one this morning. I will post later after I receive it and have my body shop install it.

Here is the link: Facelift

Well, it looks like the new bumper cover will fit an older car:

tesla-test-mule-5.jpg

lots of conflicting information on this topic. Most of it seems to be guess work so I thought that I would explore the options. The aftermarket companies seem to have engineered a retrofit bumper and charge a lot for it...about $3,300 + tax (that includes shipping. You need to source your own top grill so add another $200 or so, to make it right. This seems like a LOT when you consider that a bumper straight from Tesla is about 500.00.

They will tell you that all of the mounting points are different, and the most recent feedback I had was that the hood was 2" longer and it simply wouldn't fit....seemed like a LOT of work and contrary to what any logical upgrade would be in this kind of format - maximum affect, but try to avoid retooling etc. So, I found a used bumper in the same color as my car for 300.00 and thought what could it hurt.

So, its true that the mounting points are different, BUT its NOT true that the hood is different, at least from the preliminary fitting. I have a contact at a Tesla approved facility that claims correct factory parts would set you back about 3800.00 and then fitting and painting would set you back another 1500.00 - in my case. The parts would include, rad mounts, ducting, grills etc. From there, its somewhat plug and play.

I have a shop willing and very capable of doing custom work to make it fit. This is not to be confused with a duct tape install; rather they are a true custom shop that works on the likes of Ferraris Lambo, Bentleys and of course, Teslas. Its still early in the build, but no clear signs that its not possible. Because there are so many differing opinions on this, I will report back with the progress as it develops...which leads me to the other facelift...the headlights.

After carefully reviewing and researching the topic, I don't recommend it at all! First buy the lights and plug em in and they are non-returnable. Second, all signs point to a CANBUS system. Unlike the pre-2016.5 build cars, the headlight has logic built into and extra wires and signals coming from the cars ECM. This means its a hardware and software problem - and without access to both, NO ONE will be able to get these lights to work. Short of cracking them open and dumbing them down to an analog format its kind of a waste; there would be no improvement. Instead, I purchased a fully optioned set of lenses from Evan over at Vision Auto Lab. Not only are they esthetically beautiful lights, they are a HUGE improvement on the stock lighting - if you're going to update your car, this would be the best place to go - quality!!!
50639139950__1B787C3E-57AC-4571-B3F4-842ABE9B5322.JPG.jpeg
Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 8.20.50 AM.png

I still maintain that the front lip arch of the classic hood is much more curved than the front lip arch of the facelift hood. If you look at any photos of both, you can clearly see the difference. The facelift hood front edge is much flatter. Now will that make a big enough visual difference next to the facelift bumper? That I don't know yet, and I suppose we'll see once someone first mounts one on a classic car.

I still maintain that the front lip arch of the classic hood is much more curved than the front lip arch of the facelift hood. If you look at any photos of both, you can clearly see the difference. The facelift hood front edge is much flatter. Now will that make a big enough visual difference next to the facelift bumper? That I don't know yet, and I suppose we'll see once someone first mounts one on a classic car.

uh....that pic I just posted is a 2017 bumper on a 2014 P85D, and the hood is 2014 too - you'll see by the test fit that they are the same.

lots of conflicting information on this topic. Most of it seems to be guess work so I thought that I would explore the options. The aftermarket companies seem to have engineered a retrofit bumper and charge a lot for it...about $3,300 + tax (that includes shipping. You need to source your own top grill so add another $200 or so, to make it right. This seems like a LOT when you consider that a bumper straight from Tesla is about 500.00.

I have a shop willing and very capable of doing custom work to make it fit. This is not to be confused with a duct tape install; rather they are a true custom shop that works on the likes of Ferraris Lambo, Bentleys and of course, Teslas. Its still early in the build, but no clear signs that its not possible. Because there are so many differing opinions on this, I will report back with the progress as it develops...which leads me to the other facelift...the headlights.

Skilly, thank you for tackling this facelift ... please keep us updated on your progress.
I agree that upgrading the HID lights is the way to go ... the LED lights are a waste :cool: