Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Gateway automatically reset if demand exceeds capability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have another semi-related question. I'll have Ethernet/Wi-Fi available where the Gateway will be located, but only when the grid is up. The access point won't have power when running off the Powerwalls.
My understanding is a modem is included with the Gateway. I'm assuming the Gateway will fall back to the modem if internet is lost. What carrier(s) does Tesla use? Verizon is the only carrier that covers my location. And, I'm assuming there is no charge for this service, correct?
One thing important to me is to get a timely notification if the grid goes down. Will falling back to the modem delay my reception of an alert notifying me that my house is running off the Powerwalls?
Thanks

My system is complicated. The short story is the branch that powers the access point into won't be backed up. If there is a significant reason that it should be connected to my home intranet during a power outage I can spring to have a separate circuit installed installed to power the access point. I also have a separate CAT-5 cable that I may be able to dedicate to the Gateway but there are some complications with that also.

Even if your house has Powerwall power and your network (wired or WiFi or mesh etc) is up and running, your ISP will probably go down after a variable period of time. Where I live the nearby Xfinity/Comcast 'node' has about 1-3 hours of backup power. Once that goes down, no internet (or VoIP phone or TV).

I have my Gateway connected both to my wired Gigabit ethernet network and to my mesh/WiFi network, and the gateway also has cell connectivity (all 3).

But also remember that most cell towers have battery backup and during a prolonged neighborhood/regional power outage, they too will go down after some period of time.

Ask me how I know....NoCA with several Public Safety Power Shutoffs last year (one lasting 5 days).

So after one full day into PSPS where I live, no Comcast/Xfinity service, so no internet or VoIP phone or TV, and no cell service. So I elected to pay $$ to install HughesNet satellite internet as a backup to have limited internet (for e-mail, limited VoIP).

Even if your house has Powerwall power and your network (wired or WiFi or mesh etc) is up and running, your ISP will probably go down after a variable period of time. Where I live the nearby Xfinity/Comcast 'node' has about 1-3 hours of backup power. Once that goes down, no internet (or VoIP phone or TV).

I think it really depends on where the outage is. It was kinda funny... after hurricane matthew I lost power for more than three days, but my home internet and cell service stayed up the whole time.

Then a year or two later hurricane irma came through and that time my power stayed on, but my home internet from spectrum as well as my cell phone service from AT&T were both down for about two days and then up and down for another week after that. I finally went out and got a hotspot device from Verizon since they still had service.

I have my Gateway connected both to my wired Gigabit ethernet network and to my mesh/WiFi network, and the gateway also has cell connectivity (all 3).

But also remember that most cell towers have battery backup and during a prolonged neighborhood/regional power outage, they too will go down after some period of time.

Ask me how I know....NoCA with several Public Safety Power Shutoffs last year (one lasting 5 days).

So after one full day into PSPS where I live, no Comcast/Xfinity service, so no internet or VoIP phone or TV, and no cell service. So I elected to pay $$ to install HughesNet satellite internet as a backup to have limited internet (for e-mail, limited VoIP).
I have satellite internet (the only thing available to me unfortunately) so I have internet during a power outage (as long as the dish and modem have power).

My Verizon tower uses a backup generator during a power outage and they keep it running. Strange thing is, my analog landline goes down when the power goes out because it goes through a digital data center that gets shut down.

I was out of power for nearly 2 weeks once last year due to PSPSs. The need to inspect the power lines after a shutdown to make sure they they don't start a fire when they power them back up. The prioritize the inspections based on how many people will benefit. I live in a rural area and we are usually the last to get power back. We got a second shutdown before they restored power from the prior shutdown.