Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the M3 GUI allow you to disable the traction control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like it is NOT currently in the interface. While I understand that Tesla is still working on the GUI, I am wondering how soon (if ever) you think Tesla will offer the ability to disable traction control? Sometimes you have a fever. And the only prescription is..... more tire spin!

Only early pre-D Models S had the option to disable traction control. Since then it's only a "Slip Start" option to allow limited wheel spin from a start on loose surfaces. It turns off when you hit 40mph.

On dual-motor cars it'd be seriously difficult to drive without traction control and torque vectoring, since the two motors are fully computer controlled.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Only early pre-D Models S had the option to disable traction control. Since then it's only a "Slip Start" option to allow limited wheel spin from a start on loose surfaces. It turns off when you hit 40mph.

On dual-motor cars it'd be seriously difficult to drive without traction control and torque vectoring, since the two motors are fully computer controlled.
Well the Model 3 will be a "pre-D" model for the next 6+months. So did this feature exist on the recent RWD MS before they dropped them?

You cannot do this on the S or X currently. You used to be able to on older P85s but I'm not sure it was the car or the software back then. You can only 'slip start' the S or X which is nothing like a totally disabled traction control.

How is this not bothersome to many die hards? I have never read much about it and this thread is pretty cold. I am thoroughly surprised.
If it has the slip start function for snow/ice starts, then as far as normal street driving it is not a problem. For actual organized competition, it depends on the event and how well the TC and stability control is implemented. For autocross competition, TC and stability will probably have to be defeated some way to be competitive (fuse?). Might not make a difference for drag racing (not my sport).

You can disable traction control on the RWD 85's. But it will only disable anti-spin, but ESP is still partly active.

Too bad because in the winter I like drifting. It's possible to drift in the snow with traction control off, I've had a few really wide and nice ones in curves. But occasionally a wheel will lock and ESP will attempt to straighten the car, though won't succeed if car is already in a good drift and you keep powering.

The only way to fully disable all driver's assist features is removing the ABS fuse. Never tried myself, but I've seen some good Model S burnouts in the summer with that method. Good amount of smoke too when the rearwheels reach speeds of 200 kmt+, but your tires won't last long.

I guess my real use case is that the Tesla M3 will be my first RWD since high school. It will be the most powerful vehicle I've owned. Maybe foolish, but I really want the choice of burning some d@mn rubber when I want to! Don't big brother me on that. I would very much like to avoid pulling a f'in fuse because I want to make the irresponsible decision to light up my tires! If Tesla can't understand this adolescent urge, then maybe a toggle switch finds its way in line with the TC fuse... Utterly ridiculous if you ask me.

Reactions: kbecks13
According to the M3 owner manual, traction control can be disabled in the UI.

To some extent, from page 48 of the owners manual:

How It Works
The traction control system constantly monitors the speed of the front and rear wheels. If Model 3 experiences a loss of traction, the system minimizes wheel spin by controlling brake pressure and motor power. By default, the traction control system is on. Under normal conditions, it should remain on to ensure maximum safety.

* Allowing Wheel Slip

To allow the wheels to spin at a limited speed, you can enable Slip Start. Slip Start can be enabled only when Model 3 is moving 30 mph (48 km/h) or slower. Slip Start automatically disables when the speed exceeds 50 mph
(80 km/h).

Under normal conditions, Slip Start should not be enabled. Enable it only in circumstances where you deliberately want the wheels to spin, such as:
• Starting on a loose surface, such as gravel or snow.
• Driving in deep snow, sand or mud.
• Rocking out of a hole or deep rut.

To allow the wheels to spin, touch Controls > Driving > Traction Control > Slip Start.

------------------------

I don't see anything in the owners manual about disabling it. I do see things in the owners manual about how to tell if it is disabled.

Page 40 shows the icon and says:

Electronic stability control systems are no longer minimizing wheel spin. See Traction Control on page 48.

Followed by this warning on page 48:

Warning: If the above indicator remains illuminated in situations in which you have not enabled Slip Start (described next), the traction control system may not be operating correctly. Contact Tesla Service immediately.

page 62 about TACC says:

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cancels, or may not be available, in thefollowing situations:

The traction control setting is manually disabled or is repeatedly engaging to prevent wheels from slipping.

but I don't think that suggests anything other than the page 48 slip start option.

page 82 says:

Traction Control: Turn traction control on or off (see Traction Control on page 48).

but we know that page 48 only has the slip start option, no Off setting as such.

Last edited: