Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the M3 GUI allow you to disable the traction control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you light up the tires if slip start is enabled?
Your selected new tire vendor is one lucky (and profitable) business! :D Where are you located in SoCal? Can I come and watch the dollars go up in smoke? Wet the pavement first if you want lots of smoke! I want to disable TC and then hit Summon while am waiting at the curb in front of Spago. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
It's like having a top speed of 140MPH. It's not because you will do it all the time.... It is about being able to. Not sure why Tesla is OK with letting their customers drive 140MPH, but disallows their customers from doing a burnout.
Really not so much Tesla's fault, but there are federal vehicle safety standards (49CFR 571.126) for electronic stability control systems. When these systems first came out, they were pretty simple and able to be turned off fairly easily. But now, It is more and more common for the systems to not be totally turned off or have to go through multiple steps to do it. And even some when totally turned off, still can reactivate if someone pushes the limits too hard.

Could Tesla make it easier to turn it off? I'm sure they could. But Tesla has always been about touting safety, so kind of would go against their strengths.

Really not so much Tesla's fault, but there are federal vehicle safety standards (49CFR 571.126) for electronic stability control systems. When these systems first came out, they were pretty simple and able to be turned off fairly easily. But now, It is more and more common for the systems to not be totally turned off or have to go through multiple steps to do it. And even some when totally turned off, still can reactivate if someone pushes the limits too hard.

Could Tesla make it easier to turn it off? I'm sure they could. But Tesla has always been about touting safety, so kind of would go against their strengths.
There is a balance. I get having the systems on by default and even making them obnoxious to disable and resetting back on. But making a vehicle that will allow you to go 140 MPH isn't all about safety. I would argue that if safety trumped all, the vehicle should not be allowed to go faster than, say, 85 MPH. It's a balance involving choices. Disabling traction control like 90% of vehicles can do today is a choice that I think Tesla ought to offer their customers. It is not the end of the world for me, just don't agree with Tesla's choice here....

How is this not bothersome to many die hards? I have never read much about it and this thread is pretty cold. I am thoroughly surprised.
Yes and no. Frankly, I've basically always driven AWD sports cars (3 WRX, 1 STI) and outside of playing around in snow (Slip-Start would suffice), I never see a need to turn off stability/traction control on public streets. The system never activates besides in deep snow. At the track, ok, but Tesla's are so heavy, they aren't really meant for HPDE or AutoX.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
Yes and no. Frankly, I've basically always driven AWD sports cars (3 WRX, 1 STI) and outside of playing around in snow (Slip-Start would suffice), I never see a need to turn off stability/traction control on public streets. The system never activates besides in deep snow. At the track, ok, but Tesla's are so heavy, they aren't really meant for HPDE or AutoX.
Are you saying that without traction control you don't think the M3 could light them up from a stop light? Around a corner?

Are you saying that without traction control you don't think the M3 could light them up from a stop light? Around a corner?
You are talking RWD. For the Dual Motor you wouldn’t want to lose traction in the dry.

With enough power, greasy tires and RWD sure you can...

But, this isn’t a Chevy SS or BMW M3, it’s not designed for that type of driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
You are talking RWD. For the Dual Motor you wouldn’t want to lose traction in the dry.

With enough power, greasy tires and RWD sure you can...

But, this isn’t a Chevy SS or BMW M3, it’s not designed for that type of driving.
I wanted to burn rubber too, but my car won't let me. Probably for the best. According to YouTube it's not very safe:

Older Teslas could burn rubber, but I wonder if that's been firmwared out of them.

If you want to spin wheels, just get a GM based EV, the traction control completely sucks on Bolt and Volt, having driven both of these hard, they have pathetic traction control.

Even my Smart ED has better traction control than GM EV's. Yet, I too dislike the overly controlling intervention of the relatively "average" (in terms of usefulness) traction control in my Smart ED, blame that on Mercedes/Daimler who after 8 years with the Smart ED program still can't get it totally right like Tesla.

Our RWD Tesla has the best mix of light the tires up, while also controlling traction without overly controlling the situation. Mid turn on accelerator movements seem to be perfectly judged by the Tesla systems compared to the dozen other EV system I've driven and experienced.

If you must light up tires, I recommend a Mustang, I hear their owners throw them in the ditch or trees quite often showing off the power, so a second hand low mileage copy might be available near you...just check for dents... ;-)

• Helpful
Reactions: 03DSG
If you want to spin wheels, just get a GM based EV, the traction control completely sucks on Bolt and Volt, having driven both of these hard, they have pathetic traction control.

Even my Smart ED has better traction control than GM EV's. Yet, I too dislike the overly controlling intervention of the relatively "average" (in terms of usefulness) traction control in my Smart ED, blame that on Mercedes/Daimler who after 8 years with the Smart ED program still can't get it totally right like Tesla.

Our RWD Tesla has the best mix of light the tires up, while also controlling traction without overly controlling the situation. Mid turn on accelerator movements seem to be perfectly judged by the Tesla systems compared to the dozen other EV system I've driven and experienced.

If you must light up tires, I recommend a Mustang, I hear their owners throw them in the ditch or trees quite often showing off the power, so a second hand low mileage copy might be available near you...just check for dents... ;-)
Will the M3 traction control allows squeels and /or screeching as it does its thing?

ABS and Traction Control are usually different. You do not want to disable ABS (unless on a racetrack).

In my STI I can turn off VDC (stability/traction), but ABS stays active. (My car can also independently control the ABS at each wheel, not pairs...fancy)

2018 STI:
  • [Normal Driving] Full ON (normal, but only when activated): ABS ON, Traction ON, Engine Torque Reduction ON
  • [Spirited/Snow Driving] Traction Mode: ABS ON, Traction ON, Engine Torque Reduction OFF
  • [Get out of a ditch] VDC OFF: ABS ON, Traction OFF, Engine Torque Reduction OFF
    • This would be like Slip Start

Last edited: