Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if Tesla can make a car much bigger than the X, though. The drag coefficient of the X is 0.24, and the smaller size drives a lot of that low number. The larger SUVs all have drag levels in the 0.35 or higher range. That would cut into range significantly on an EV.

No. The drag coefficient, Cd, is a way to compare the resistance of different shapes independent of size. The cross sectional area is explicitly separated from the Cd. The X's .24 is the result of the smooth curves, not the overall size.

Your basic point is correct, though, because the aerodynamic drag is a function of the cross sectional area as well as Cd.
Walter

After having sat in the 2nd row and having tried to sit in the 3rd row, it seems pretty clear that the 2nd row seats are here to stay.
The car is just too small. The mono post seat gives a little bit more leg room to people in the 3rd row. A folding 2nd row would make the 3rd row completely unusable except for small children.
The cargo space with 2nd row positioned so that someone can sit there is very disappointing. And even with 2nd row all the way forward it's not much to write home about.
I think this is a case where Tesla way over-promised and under-delivered. There is no feeling at all of "what would you do with all this space". It's "man this feels cramped - where will my stuff fit?"

Yeah - this was way over-promised and way under-delivered.
My hope is that it will be possible to buy the Model X in a 4 seat version, without the 2nd row seats.
That should be substantially less expensive...
Such configuration would suit my needs perfectly.
If this will not be an option, I think I will wait for other alternatives. Maybe something like the Volkswagen BUDD-e.

The only way Tesla could have made the 3rd row more comfortable would have been to build a full-size SUV rather than a mid-sized one. Having looked at peer vehicles like the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX, the 3rd row is typically not that great. Ok for children, but not so much for adults, especially on longer trips.

The only mitigating factor is the availability of the 6-seater configuration, which is what I would choose if I were in the market for a Model X. The open space in the 2nd row gives the 3rd row passengers slightly more room to stretch out, and also greatly improves access because there is no need to move the 2nd row seats back to access the 3rd row. The open space also allows for long thin items to pass through, rather than run into a middle 2nd row seat.

Ultimately, my sense is that the 6-seater will prove very popular. Interestingly, there are few 6-seaters on the market. The Mazda5 is what comes immediately to mind, and Mazda sells it as an "MPV" rather than a CUV or Minivan.

Yeah - this was way over-promised and way under-delivered.
My hope is that it will be possible to buy the Model X in a 4 seat version, without the 2nd row seats.
That should be substantially less expensive...
Such configuration would suit my needs perfectly.
If this will not be an option, I think I will wait for other alternatives. Maybe something like the Volkswagen BUDD-e.

Well, if you bought the 6 seat version, you could certainly remove the middle seats. It's your car at that point.

Well, if you bought the 6 seat version, you could certainly remove the middle seats. It's your car at that point.

Yes, of course. But why pay for complex inventory that I do not need?
I don´t want a car that appears as a DIY-project.
What I suggest is a factory designed cargo hauling configuration, that is also capable of carrying 2 passengers more by folding up the seats in the 3rd row.

Second Row Seating

Ordered my model X last year and just found out that the second row seats don't fold down or flat ? Cant understand why a large SUV that's made to carry large loads eg Beds ,furniture etc doesn't have fold down seats .Porsche ,BMW ,Mercedes SUV's all have this function. I understand that the 3rd row is optional ,may be wrong here ,which is fine .

Would be interested for other views as maybe we can change this .

Ordered my model X last year and just found out that the second row seats don't fold down or flat ? Cant understand why a large SUV that's made to carry large loads eg Beds ,furniture etc doesn't have fold down seats .Porsche ,BMW ,Mercedes SUV's all have this function. I understand that the 3rd row is optional ,may be wrong here ,which is fine .

Would be interested for other views as maybe we can change this .

There are multiple threads that have debated this in detail. Please take a look there before starting another one.

Tesla appears to have made the choice they made to optimize the car as a people (and child seat / booster) mover vs. a cargo carrier. Also there is a general view that making the free-standing (to avoid belts blocking third row access) second row seats foldable would compromise Tesla's desired top safety rating - or at least make it much more difficult to achieve. So I wouldn't expect it to change very soon.

maserati;1353382Cant understand why[/QUOTE said:
I placed my deposit in just because of the promise of more rear luggage length with foldable second row seats.

As to why: At this point, the design is to have a very nice and shiny back for those seats with no intention to place any luggage that can harm those glossy backs.

I placed my deposit in just because of the promise of more rear luggage length with foldable second row seats.

As to why: At this point, the design is to have a very nice and shiny back for those seats with no intention to place any luggage that can harm those glossy backs.

I don't think the lack of folding is to protect the shiny seat backs. The seats are freestanding without any support from the car's structure other than the base, with built-in seat belts. If they were foldable the folding mechanism and latch would have to be very strong to restrain the occupants in a frontal crash in particular. Perhaps it can be done but I guess that was one engineering challenge too far for Tesla, at least at this point. They appear to have optimized for people moving rather than luggage.

LOL. The reality of the Model X seat backs is difficult to describe. How would you describe it without double entendre? Most car companies have a flat seat back that is designed like the back of a church pew. Tesla curved the design at the sides. it is NOT curved like the top of an Apple Magic Mouse when viewed horizontally or vertically. The sides of the seat are where the extra leg space occurs. Look at the back of the Apple Magic Mouse with the switch on top. That is a more accurate depiction.
2Fimg-teknosa.cubecdn.net%2FTeknosaImg%2FproductImages%2F455x348%2F125191166-2-apple_magic_mouse.jpg
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.appgefahren.de%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F10%2FApple-Magic-Mouse-2.jpg