Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will there be another Tesla Wall Charger out soon?

Should I buy existing Tesla Wall Charger now?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was hinted back before the unveiling of the Solar Roof that there would be a new Tesla Wall Charger. The unveiling came and went, and nothing was mentioned. What happened?

Should i buy the current one now, or wait a few months to see if they come out with something new? Obiously i would want a charger before my Model 3 arrives.

You don't have a Model 3 and won't for at least a few months. Why buy a cable now?

If there is a new connector coming (no further hints or rumors or suppositions of such have surfaced), when it is released it'll reduce the price of the current wall connector if that still suits your needs.

If I had to guess, the new connector is one that will support DC power direct from a Powerwall battery attached to a solar array. Currently the power from the battery is converted from DC to AC, pumped into your home's wiring, and through the connector, and then converted to DC by the car's internal charger. There's a good chunk of inefficiency in those conversions, so a direct DC battery-to-battery connector would be needed.

The existing Tesla Wall Charger is a pretty good deal, but that said, I wouldn't buy anything right now. Nobody knows what Tesla's plans are or what they will offer to Model 3 buyers. We also don't know how much current the charger in the Model 3 will accept, although 40A is a good guess. I'm not even convinced the Model 3 will come with the UMC. Wait until they announce something.

Also, don't tell your electrician it's for a Tesla unless you want to pay the Tesla tax ;)

The existing Tesla Wall Charger is a pretty good deal, but that said, I wouldn't buy anything right now. Nobody knows what Tesla's plans are or what they will offer to Model 3 buyers. We also don't know how much current the charger in the Model 3 will accept, although 40A is a good guess. I'm not even convinced the Model 3 will come with the UMC. Wait until they announce something.

Also, don't tell your electrician it's for a Tesla unless you want to pay the Tesla tax ;)

The Model 3 will most certainly (in my mind) come with a mobile charger. Tesla is pushing for home charging and only using Super Charger for travel. With current infrastructure in place for S/X outlet, I highly doubt they will change this and force all Model 3 to use an adapter at supercharger stations.

Reactions: 03DSG and sigmo32
The Model 3 will most certainly (in my mind) come with a mobile charger. Tesla is pushing for home charging and only using Super Charger for travel. With current infrastructure in place for S/X outlet, I highly doubt they will change this and force all Model 3 to use an adapter at supercharger stations.

I agree it’s likely, but the mobile charger isn’t intended for full time use. Making it optional would help margins.

I agree it’s likely, but the mobile charger isn’t intended for full time use. Making it optional would help margins.

Per some threads in the S forum, many use the mobile charger at home and keep it plugged into NEMA 14-50 and only take it with them when they travel. Some buy a second mobile kit for home use and is always plugged into the outlet. I purchased a used Tesla Mobile charger that I plan to stay plugged into my NEMA 14-50 outlet and keep the new one in the car.

Reactions: jsrawa and Lunarx
That's not true at all. The vast majority of S and X owners use the UMC to charge at home. Mobile is a capability, not a requirement. The only time to put it in the car is when you're going on a trip where you might need to plug into an outlet.

It wouldn't surprise me if that had a cheaper wall charger to be shipped with the Model 3 which would cost less money.
You can't go wrong with the current UMC, but why rush into it when you're going to get way more information really soon.
If you need electrical work doing and are desperate to get started, get a 14-50 plug installed to cover all bases.
The current UMC is a god price compared to J1772 solutions though.
I'd wait a few extra weeks, then decide. Regardless of when your 3 arrives you will have plenty of time to figure this stuff out.

Most electricians in my area are booking 2 months out (minimum). This will change with the mass deliveries of the 3 in 2018/19/20 not to mention the other manufacturers. In my mind the proactive move is to get a Nema 14-50 asap into your parking space.
Later we can always upgrade to the HPWC and a higher rated CB as long as the 6/3 wire is under a 150 foot run to take full advantage of the 48 amp onboard charger.

Didn't they already upgrade the charger in April last year? The new one has load sharing:
Tesla's HPWC Gets Significant Upgrades, Cheaper Price

Not sure what other upgrade would be expected.

I don't know if Tesla will offer another wall connector after revealing the Model 3 charging specifications, however it would be wise for Model 3 buyers to wait and see before doing anything more expensive than a 14-50 install.

If they do offer a new wall connector, it may be downsized from the current 80 Amp capable model to 40 A or 48 A or whatever the base Model 3 on-board charger supports. The downsized model would be an even more affordable option for model 3 buyers.

Also speculated up thread is integration of the wall connector and solar inverter and/or powerwall.

GSP

Given the issues with the model 3 on board charger

Tesla has been in the EV business for far too long to now hit issues with charging. I know a couple of recent Model S owners and they have not encountered problems with charging and Model 3 is not yet on the road so cannot affect Model 3.

Perhaps your connections gave incorrect information again or you have been reading too much into the future?

Last edited:
In the US there is a tax break for installing EV infrastructure, but there is something that doesn't allow it if you're also taking the EV credit. I forget the details, but buying a charger and the car in different years might get you a little more in tax breaks.

I don't think they will change the HPWC anytime soon. I expect if they do come out with a DC charger for solar installations it will be a separate charger setup. But I could be wrong.

In the US there is a tax break for installing EV infrastructure, but there is something that doesn't allow it if you're also taking the EV credit. I forget the details, but buying a charger and the car in different years might get you a little more in tax breaks.

I don't think they will change the HPWC anytime soon. I expect if they do come out with a DC charger for solar installations it will be a separate charger setup. But I could be wrong.
There's nothing that says you can't take both credits in the same year but many people have reported that they got hit with the alternative minimum tax when they tried to do it. That is why my HPWC is already installed. I was also concerned about availability once all these Model 3's start hitting the streets. I also obviously agree that the chargers won't change to the extent that the current HPWC would not be able to charge a Model 3.

Given the issues with the model 3 on board charger, I would wait and see
lol%20wut.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
There's nothing that says you can't take both credits in the same year but many people have reported that they got hit with the alternative minimum tax when they tried to do it. That is why my HPWC is already installed. I was also concerned about availability once all these Model 3's start hitting the streets. I also obviously agree that the chargers won't change to the extent that the current HPWC would not be able to charge a Model 3.
It's not really that you get hit with the AMT, but that the availability of the deduction is based on the difference between your actual tax owed and what the AMT would be, if you had to pay it. In my case, in the year I got the 7500 for buying my leaf, that closed (or widened? I don't recall exactly) the gap between post-credit tax and AMT, so I didn't qualify for the deduction for installing the charger.