Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I respectfully disagree. You only need UMC on the road with you if you plan on plugging into some outlet. Superchargers and other EV public chargers do not require your UMC. All you need 95% of the time with you is the adapters.

It's the 5% risk that I mitigate by carrying the UMC cable. We have had situations where the only source was 120V AC wall plug over night and in a serious need of charging I'll stop by a farm house and ask to use their welder circuit.

For me driving the car without UMC and adapters in the trunk feels wrong. However, you are right that a well planned road trip uses Superchargers and Destination chargers. We toured the East Coast this way and everything worked out. I also carried CHAdeMo adapter which we needed for one long run. The Nissan dealer was welcoming and other Model S were there at the same time.

I can't stress enough that the HPWC is a very well built and robust piece of equipment. It's meant for daily use and it can be used outdoors. If it ever failed my UMC and 14-50 become backup so with some redundancy life with an EV is low stress.

I guess that you could buy a second UMC. One in the garage and one in the trunk. That works.