Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no shipping or demo'd FSD Tesla yet.
You should get hold of Tesla Service immediately! I've got a good number of features running on my car, new one came out a few weeks ago, too.

Shipping. Period.

AFAIK, neither the Waymo vans or the Cruise AVs are geofenced. Look for their videos on YT.
Then you lack even basic understanding of the topic. Of how their technology functions.

I'm not sure what you're confused about.

In 2016, FSD cost $5000 (EAP) + $3,000 (FSD) = $8,000. You couldn't buy FSD without first purchasing EAP.

After July, if Elon is to be believed, FSD will cost $0 (basic autopilot) + $8,000 (FSD) = $8,000

Last I checked $8,000 = $8,000.
Umm, Not exactly, the 3000 was a promise of self driving some day that people just got screwed on that ordered it. EAP was 5K and does basically everything at this point.

Reactions: SammichLover
Correct me if I am wrong.

When you sell the car the buyer gets the license. You dont get to apply it to your new car as well. With the PC you dont get to transfer the license to say Office 365 to another PC while when you sell the PC to someone else.

Yes you do , office 365 is subscription based. its your account and you use it on whatever computer. And I think most software you do transfer the software license to whatever computer.

You're correct in one regard. Everything EAP does now is everything EAP will ever do. If you want more features, FSD is required for the Stoplight and Stop Sign response right now, and will be required for Autosteer on city streets when it is released later this year.

exactly what use is autosteer on city streets when you have to baby sit it? I know I know, it will progress from there, but no it won't because the car doesn't have the capability, not what I've seen so far, if it did, regardless of purchased options, the car would make sure it didn't hit a pedestrian or would swerve around an obstacle to stop a crash and it doesn't.

Correct me if I am wrong.

When you sell the car the buyer gets the license. You dont get to apply it to your new car as well. With the PC you dont get to transfer the license to say Office 365 to another PC while when you sell the PC to someone else.
Depends. If I sell the car to Tesla they strip the license.
If I sell the car to a private party it will transfer (as of today).
If I sell the car to a dealer (no idea what happens).

Office 365 is a cloud license, so yes I get to transfer it to my new PC. That’s why Microsoft has moved in that direction. The license stays with the user, not with the machine.

So your analogy isn’t fully accurate.

I've got EAP. FSD is now $4k, and you say it'll go up another $1k to $5k? Nope, not gonna do it. $1k, for a new chip and city driving and we're talking.
Same here. I'm a techie and might stretch to $2000 just for the thrill of being on the cutting edge, but $4k is a good bit of cash and I can't imagine spending it on something that really won't be of practical use for years, if at all.

Umm, Not exactly, the 3000 was a promise of self driving some day that people just got screwed on that ordered it. EAP was 5K and does basically everything at this point.

Again, it cost a total of $8,000 to buy the full self driving package in 2016.

After July, it will cost a total of $8,000 to buy the full self driving package in 2020.

It's a very simple premise. Same set of features, just broken up among two different intermediary packages.

exactly what use is autosteer on city streets when you have to baby sit it? I know I know, it will progress from there, but no it won't because the car doesn't have the capability, not what I've seen so far, if it did, regardless of purchased options, the car would make sure it didn't hit a pedestrian or would swerve around an obstacle to stop a crash and it doesn't.
?

That's a lot of unwarranted logic leaps, there. First of, why do you assume this would all be bundled into the base (which has to be capable of running on HW2)?

Second, "swerv[ing] around an obstacle" can happen to a degree, already. If you have it turned on, ELDA will automate some steering adjustment.

Third, if it isn't there to the extent you expect today then it never can be? I've been impressed with the extra detection capability I gained after my car was upgraded to HW3. I don't know how much of that shows if you don't have FSD, though? It seems to be getting better at picking out people. The garbage can thing is new, I was really surprised to see those pop up. The driving cone seems to be something of a stand-in so far, it'll off ID a
mailbox as a cone if there is a reflector on it. Not sure that's really going to be an issue, but it was a curious thing.

As for what autosteer is on city streets; Relaxation and a driving aid. Even "babysitting" it, there's plenty of time I can use looking further ahead and also just relaxing. If you drive a lot it really does reduce fatigue.

To some extent I get how if you have the old EAP, at current upgrade price it is a long way for the current feature set. Likewise, if you haven't had a lot of experience with EAP level features or now the FSD stuff you could be relatively uninterested. TACC and the basic AP takes care of a fair amount of stuff, especially if you don't drive much 4-lane up and up.

But I'd really miss the features even before Stop Sign was added (the feature that I'd bought FSD for).

This all before "it drives itself". The "it drives itself" is worth way, way more than current pricing. A lot more.

Reactions: smatthew
I don't think that's question that can be answered without knowing what it will be like at the point when it goes up by another $1K. The last time it went up by $1K they had recently added Smart Summons. It wasn't all that useful, but it was apparently exciting enough that they could raise the price by $1K.

The take rate for FSD is pretty high where it's estimated to be around the 30-40%. That's pretty high for something that only really gives you auto-lane changes of standard AP. Everything else like Smart Summon, Auto-Park, and NoA doesn't work all that well. I know because I have FSD already.

As an owner I benefit when it goes up because it adds value to my car. But, I see nothing that it currently does today being worth $7K let alone $8K. Basic AP takes care of 95% of a persons needs.

Put me down for never buying FSD.

Is that because you have no desire for autonomous driving features or that you feel it will never work?

I do wonder what percentage of people who own a Tesla are of the type that simply have no desire for autonomous driving? Whether it was a $5K feature or a $20K feature. Tesla can safely ignore them when it comes to pricing.

Reactions: SlimJim
Depends. If I sell the car to Tesla they strip the license.
If I sell the car to a private party it will transfer (as of today).
If I sell the car to a dealer (no idea what happens).

Office 365 is a cloud license, so yes I get to transfer it to my new PC. That’s why Microsoft has moved in that direction. The license stays with the user, not with the machine.

So your analogy isn’t fully accurate.

My point is you dont get to keep the license as well as give it to the person you sold the PC to.

If Tesla indeed does this arent they also cutting how much you are selling the car for and you are voluntarily choosing to do so.

Reactions: smatthew
Again, it cost a total of $8,000 to buy the full self driving package in 2016.

After July, it will cost a total of $8,000 to buy the full self driving package in 2020.

It's a very simple premise.

Yes, but it continues to be fundamentally incorrect.

In 2016 it was 5k for EAP and 3k for FSD. 8k total.

In 2019 they rearranged things, and soon after they raised the price of all new Teslas (except the off menu SR) by $2000, but made basic AP standard... meaning they forced everyone to buy basic AP for $2000 regardless of it you wanted it. Plus charged $6000 for FSD.

$8000 total.

Same price a year ago

Then they raised FSD $1000. $9000 total now. $1000 more than it was in 2016 bought with a car.

It's going up another $1000 July 1. So $2000 more than in 2016 if you bought it with the car.

Just because they're hiding the $2000 every (SR+ or higher) new buyer is paying for AP doesn't mean it's not there.

Just ask the people who have an off-menu SR (and thus were not forced to take the "included" AP) how much FSD costs them today. (spoiler- it's not "less" than the 8k from 2016 as your post suggested, and it'll go up another 1k in July on top of that)

So your basic premise, that only after this new price bump coming in July, will FSD be "back" to costing $8000 total like in 2016, is not correct.

Hope this is clear enough for you now.