Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The entire gasket for the exterior door handle was apparently left uninstalled thus allowing both noise and wind into the car unimpeded. (This can be checked with the window down and a bright flashlight, if you know what to look for.)

Hmm interesting. Will look into that. I'm bringing the car to the service center on Thursday. Will report back and will ask for a loaner to "test drive" another car while they check.

FWIW, also check your exterior door handle gaskets are installed correctly. We had a loud wind noise on our '15 that we thought was coming from the Pano Roof. Actually, it was sound bouncing off the roof from the front passenger door. The entire gasket for the exterior door handle was apparently left uninstalled thus allowing both noise and wind into the car unimpeded. (This can be checked with the window down and a bright flashlight, if you know what to look for.)

Lots of downstream hassle trying to diagnose problems when the cars aren't built right at the factory. Too bad they can't track it down to the specific guy on the assembly line for the shift that built our door, or perhaps they can?

They probably could track down the specific guy, right now. If and when they ever go with the UAW, it won’t be so easy. But that’s a thought for another thread.

Back to the problem at hand...the howling and whistling roof - or windows - or door gaskets.

Just to give us an idea of the scope of the problem, would anyone with the new All Glass Roof please chime in and advise if yours is making noise? It's really hard to know how many people are having this problem without knowing the size of the pool, but I do know I am looking at an inventory car that has the new roof and am now very worried; I'd drive it but it's out of state.

Feeling like it's a bit too risky to pull the trigger on it until we know more.

Wish we weren't Beta testers for Tesla so often.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Could install a sound level meter and compare levels in decibels at a given speed and set distance from the windshield. Can also be used to better pinpoint the source. Wind speed and direction would be a factor though. Plenty in the IOS App Store.

Could install a sound level meter and compare levels in decibels at a given speed and set distance from the windshield. Can also be used to better pinpoint the source. Wind speed and direction would be a factor though. Plenty in the IOS App Store.

Best to also have a reference vehicle with either a solid roof, or the Pano Roof, and the same tire/wheel combination, just to cut down on the variables. Ditto for driving the cars back to back on the same roads within minutes of each other, if at all possible.

Even better: Tesla needs some time in the wind tunnel with a variety of gaps and "elevations" between the panels to see what conditions create the problem . . . .

The Seat Heaters are your friend for a warm wife ... and a good life :cool:

She is driving the 2015 model S with a metal roof, no wind noise at all. She uses the seat heater until her back is too hot but complains her feet are freezing. I keep a black throw blanket to wrap her feet when it is real cold. The wind noise is only in my new 2017 model S with the glass roof. I ordered a black gasket and will install when it comes in and let everyone know if it works.

Just to give us an idea of the scope of the problem, would anyone with the new All Glass Roof please chime in and advise if yours is making noise? It's really hard to know how many people are having this problem without knowing the size of the pool, but I do know I am looking at an inventory car that has the new roof and am now very worried; I'd drive it but it's out of state.

Feeling like it's a bit too risky to pull the trigger on it until we know more.

My new 2017 Model S with an all glass roof has a slight wind noise at the front center that my 2015 model S with a metal roof doesn't have. I don't think it is coming through the doors. I don't feel any air movement at all. It is not loud, wife hasn't noticed it or at least hasn't mentioned it. If I turn on my seat air conditioner, I can't hear it any more. Not that loud. The glass roof is definitely stunning to look at and the wind noise is not a reason to not buy the car. You will love it. We are writing in to let people know and to let Tesla know it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Reactions: avesraggiana
My new 2017 Model S with an all glass roof has a slight wind noise at the front center that my 2015 model S with a metal roof doesn't have. I don't think it is coming through the doors. I don't feel any air movement at all. It is not loud, wife hasn't noticed it or at least hasn't mentioned it. If I turn on my seat air conditioner, I can't hear it any more. Not that loud. The glass roof is definitely stunning to look at and the wind noise is not a reason to not buy the car. You will love it. We are writing in to let people know and to let Tesla know it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Thanks, that's quite helpful to know. Sample size of one, but the fact that it's noisier than your old MS is disconcerting.

The question remains, however, as to why the problem exists and what Tesla is doing to fix it. The part that concerns me the most is that replacing a windshield is actually close to major surgery given how they're "bonded" in to the car now; the roof would likely be even more difficult to remove and replace should that be a part of some factory "fix it" program.

I'll probably fly out to personally test drive the car before I buy it; it's too risky otherwise and I don't like risks with six-figure cars that I stretch to pay for. It's probably some sort of OCD thing I should get therapy for, but I just hate NVH issues. They drive me nuts . . . .

I ordered the black rubber tubing suggested on this site,
Trim-Lok X311-25 EPDM Closed Cell Sponge Rubber Seal, 0.276" Tubing Diameter, 0.206" Tubing Inside Diameter, 25' Length for $13.00. Installed it in the gap between the windshield and roof glass and went for a drive. No more wind noise. I'm not sure why there is a gap. It look like the space should be filled with silicone, but the rubber tubing works and look very natural. I uploaded a picture of the gap, hard to see in the picture but there is a gap.
gap.jpg
Glass is level and even and the roof glass is not raised at all above the windshield glass. The noise is the air turbulence in the gap.
The second picture is with the tubing in place,
tubing.jpg
looks fine and no more wind noise. I put it just across the front first to see if it stopped the noise which it did. May wrap it all the way around both sides to make it look better.
gap.jpg

tubing.jpg

Trim-Lok X311-25 EPDM Closed Cell Sponge Rubber Seal, 0.276" Tubing Diameter, 0.206" Tubing Inside Diameter, 25' Length for $13.00. Installed it in the gap between the windshield and roof glass and went for a drive. No more wind noise. I'm not sure why there is a gap. It look like the space should be filled with silicone, but the rubber tubing works and look very natural. I uploaded a picture of the gap, hard to see in the picture but there is a gap.

That’s terrific! I’m glad it worked, and I hope for the same success using your fix, should my Model S have the same problem. Thanks!

[QUOTE="TSLA Pilot, post: 1982912, member: 12822”]

I'll probably fly out to personally test drive the car before I buy it; it's too risky otherwise and I don't like risks with six-figure cars that I stretch to pay for. It's probably some sort of OCD thing I should get therapy for, but I just hate NVH issues. They drive me nuts . . . .[/QUOTE]

I hate NVH problems too. Usually because I can never isolate their source, and even when I do, I can almost never do anything about them.

I’ll be stretching also, to pay for my brand new Tesla, and just like you, if your screen name is any indication, I too, am a - um - “Heavy Equipment Operator."

I added the tubing as well, except I installed it along the front area and down each side to the rear trunk like the earlier poster did. Looks fine and wind noise was substantially reduced. I bought the 25 foot version off Amazon. $18 and in 10 min it was installed. A simple and effective solution until Tesla comes up with a proper fix.

My S goes in for some warranty work in mid March. Springfield NJ SC has not yet seen an all glass roof... I plan to show them this solution. I'll report any news.

I added the tubing as well, except I installed it along the front area and down each side to the rear trunk like the earlier poster did. Looks fine and wind noise was substantially reduced. I bought the 25 foot version off Amazon. $18 and in 10 min it was installed. A simple and effective solution until Tesla comes up with a proper fix.

My S goes in for some warranty work in mid March. Springfield NJ SC has not yet seen an all glass roof... I plan to show them this solution. I'll report any news.

Thank you for the added confirmation. I haven’t even received my car yet and I’m already worried about this. Truth is, it would irk me to no end if I had this problem with the most expensive vehicle I’ve ever bought in my entire life. At least, there’s a fix, thanks to members on this forum.

View attachment 215987
Glass is level and even and the roof glass is not raised at all above the windshield glass. The noise is the air turbulence in the gap.
The second picture is with the tubing in place,
View attachment 215988
looks fine and no more wind noise. I put it just across the front first to see if it stopped the noise which it did. May wrap it all the way around both sides to make it look better.View attachment 215987
View attachment 215988
Excellent. Glad you got rid of the problem. I will do the same now. The all glass roof is worth every penny and if a $13 fix eliminates the noise, then great. Yeah, Tesla should have done a better job, perhaps they will release their version of the "fix" sometime later. Till then, this black tube it is. Rubbers are always good in preventing unwanted things, aren't they? ;)