Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PNG image 2019-08-28 00_20_04.png
Has anyone tried these? I’d so how do you like them?

I have installed them in my TM3. I even used a dB meter before and after. The noise level did decrease but not as much as you would expect. I think it will definitively help keep the dirt and dust out though. Doors sound much better, softer, when closing.

Yes. I installed it this weekend. I figured there were a lot of good reviews online so I’d try it. Sadly I would say I notice no difference.

It probably will help keep dirt out of the door sill but don’t expect too much from wind noise reduction.

I had previously installed the rubber strip on the roof. That one had a bigger effect, but still annoying loud at 70MPH. And on a windy day it’s much louder than my wife’s Toyota Highlander with a giant clam shell on top of the car :(

Did all the doors and the giant rubber bandy thing around the ceiling glass.

Doors are great for keeping the sills clean. Possible minimal decrease in wind/road noise. Can't tell any difference from the roof thing, but my coworker says there's a little difference.

Honestly don't hear appreciable difference in road noise otherwise. Some Youtubers have reported about a -5 dB decrease. Wind noise is probably the same as an ICE car; you just don't have the ICE engine drowning out everything else (previously drove a Lexus CT200). There may be minimal decrease, but not significant. If this is the second of two main reasons your wife (@Silicon Desert) vetoed a 3 purchase, I'm sure she has ulterior motives. As loud as this car can seem, it's all turbulent wind noise to me, from outside the car, and that doesn't bother me - this car has one of the best aerodynamic coefficients of cars generally available. Any other car will have the same noise (and worse), but drowned out by the ICE or extra weight from dampening materials. Turn up the music (on the superb sound system) to drown it out. Easy.

Still a car head and shoulders above the rest in its category.

Noise differs on everyone's car. Could be road noise transmitted from tires thru suspension. Could be general wind noise that these rubber seals may help a little. Could be a specific trim piece, out of place, causing a specific point of air noise, like the triangular mirror pieces sticking into the windflow.

Depending upon what is causing the noise, determines whether any of these possible fixes can help you. Since lots of these are cheap, lots of people have tried them. Can't hurt right?

My own experience is that cumulatively, all the little things I've done, heavy floor mats, roof gasket seal, door gasket seal, window gasket adjustment, all help a tiny bit, adding up to a noticeable difference. It may not be as much a volume difference, as a frequency difference. The higher pitched sounds are less, so now I notice the lower road noise sounds more! Not to mention, doing these little things also have a placebo effect.

Reactions: go2realize
i'm just not convinced any of these aftermarket "solutions" are going to have a lasting/dramatic effect without 1. changing the type of windshield to something more soundproof and 2. dead matting/insulating everything and anything.

the noise i experience in my car sounds more like the wind is "catching" causing a buffer and feedback. if the car were really as aerodynamic as its designed to be, one would think it would be quieter.

i also think the frameless windows have A LOT to do with some of the noise.

Yes I agree. My suspicion is the frameless windows have a lot to do with it. My wind noise sounds like it’s coming from the top of the window area.

Although there is definitely large variability. My friends M3 is much quieter than mine. So not all of the vehicles are equivalent.
Look at your door gaskets, make sure they're seated nicely against the windows.

i'm just not convinced any of these aftermarket "solutions" are going to have a lasting/dramatic effect without 1. changing the type of windshield to something more soundproof and 2. dead matting/insulating everything and anything.

the noise i experience in my car sounds more like the wind is "catching" causing a buffer and feedback. if the car were really as aerodynamic as its designed to be, one would think it would be quieter.

i also think the frameless windows have A LOT to do with some of the noise.
Your description sounds like buffeting. That's turbulent air causing noise. You need to try to identify the source of the buffeting noise, and then you can go about trying to fix the cause of the turbulence. Presumably, something is sticking up into the airstream when it shouldn't. People who've had buffeting have had that triangle piece in the window sticking out, when it shouldn't. Or people have had the roof glass not seated well, so that a corner sticks up into the airflow, causing a little turbulence.

There's 3 kinds of noise, road noise from the tires interacting with the road, transmitted thru the frame. There's steady aero noise due to so much glass. And then there is the variable aero noise, wind buffeting. All three kinds require different solutions.

Reactions: Rob144
Reactions: preilly44
There's 3 kinds of noise, road noise from the tires interacting with the road, transmitted thru the frame.

I noticed that the tire inflation pressure makes a difference in road noise. At 37 psi, it was noisier than 40 psi. My guess is at the higher inflation pressure (40 psi), the tires have a smaller contact patch with the road - thus less noise.

I could be wrong as I did not use a decibel meter to check it. Might have been just a different road surface or a placebo effect...

Reactions: KenC