Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind/road noise from doors/windows -- fix it for good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to drop in and thank @Zen_3! I followed his input to put those D shaped seals all the way around the front windows and the noise went away completely. I also noted the noise coming from that top corner area before, slightly touching the window while driving would change the pitch more or less depending on where you applied the pressure.

Before I added the seal, I even took the car to Tesla where they attempted to fill the window seal with some rubber tubing. They said its a common complaint and they do this all the time. Well once I saw what they did I knew it likely wasnt going to work. It made the driver side a little quieter, but that just made the passenger side more obvious (which they did try to fix as well). The location they added the tubing was further back than the primary seal, and that material was never intended to be the sealing surface.

Reactions: XPsionic
Just wanted to drop in and thank @Zen_3! I followed his input to put those D shaped seals all the way around the front windows and the noise went away completely. I also noted the noise coming from that top corner area before, slightly touching the window while driving would change the pitch more or less depending on where you applied the pressure.

Before I added the seal, I even took the car to Tesla where they attempted to fill the window seal with some rubber tubing. They said its a common complaint and they do this all the time. Well once I saw what they did I knew it likely wasnt going to work. It made the driver side a little quieter, but that just made the passenger side more obvious (which they did try to fix as well). The location they added the tubing was further back than the primary seal, and that material was never intended to be the sealing surface.
How many ft of seal did you get? And this D type seal just glues onto the back of the OEM door seal to add another place for the glass to touch? Is that the idea?

How many ft of seal did you get? And this D type seal just glues onto the back of the OEM door seal to add another place for the glass to touch? Is that the idea?
I got 10ft and it was the perfect amount for both driver and passenger windows. Take a look at the pictures from Den’s post not too far up. He shows where the seal is placed, if you go look close at your own seals, you’ll quickly understand what to do.

Reactions: house9 and XPsionic
I got 10ft and it was the perfect amount for both driver and passenger windows. Take a look at the pictures from Den’s post not too far up. He shows where the seal is placed, if you go look close at your own seals, you’ll quickly understand what to do.
Not sure how you guys got the D seal to stay put, I cleaned the original seal before putting on the D seal, the adhesive is no where near strong enough to keep it in place. The D seal I got also isn't quite large enough to simply wedge in place either, especially by the B pillar area.

Does your D seal actually hold up to use over time?

Not sure how you guys got the D seal to stay put, I cleaned the original seal before putting on the D seal, the adhesive is no where near strong enough to keep it in place. The D seal I got also isn't quite large enough to simply wedge in place either, especially by the B pillar area.

Does your D seal actually hold up to use over time?
I’ve only had mine on for a couple weeks. But I do remember that when I was installing it, the adhesive didn’t seem to want to stick. I also cleaned the seals with alcohol beforehand. I decided to force it in place and the leave the window closed on it for at least a day before trying to roll the windows up/down. After a few days I went back and tried to pull on it a little, it’s definitely stuck on there well now.

My passenger side one isn’t too tight, but my driver side is tight enough to trigger the safety feature that causes it to roll back down. It’s been pretty cold lately, but I plan to play with it more once it’s warmer.

My M3P has been troubled with mostly wind and road noise originating from areas or in ways that don't seem right since I got it 1 year ago. I've been at my local service center 4 times with the issues, and every time they make it worse, so I decided to try and fix it myself.

For the past few months I've spent almost every weekend of free time in a combination of driving trying to locate the issue areas, going back home to fix, going out again in what seems like an almost endless cycle without really great results. It's gotten better for sure, but I still have issues, particularly with the frameless windows and/or A-pillars. Unfortunately I've run out of ideas -- and the ones I've already tried might also not be the best since I lack expertise and go solely by gut feeling.

What I have done so far (basic stuff):

- Mounted extra door seals in all doors (BASENOR Mode 3 Door Seal Kit)
- Mounted frunk and trunk isolation mats from Torque Alliance
- Replaced floor/frunk/trunk mats with 3dmaxspider
- Added rpm tesla wind noise reduction kit

Combined these made a noticeable difference - mostly in reduced road noise, and less dirt on the insides (bonus).

To fix wind noise I've tried fiddling with the window seals. The first thing I noticed was that inner piece didn't seal tight against the windows in several places. This was concluded by sliding a plastic applicator from a vinyl kit between the window and seal:

View attachment 529186

I also found that the outer-most rubber that contacts the window (the part to the right of the plastic tool, under the widow, just before the center glass piece) had gaps in some places so it also didn't make window contact. My logic tells me that this is not right, and that the way to fix it is to either push the windows further inwards or push the seals outwards. I read that windows can be tilted inwards by screws behind the door panels, but I couldn't find any videos on how to do this and decided to try and fix it the other way (this may be a wrong decision?).

I've inserted D-type door seals behind the seal liner itself to push it out (on all 4 windows, this only shows the back):
View attachment 529190 View attachment 529191

I also added B-type door seals behind the inner flap to push it outwards (sorry the shots are from different sides, hope it's still clear):
View attachment 529192 View attachment 529193

These changes made a significant difference to the noise coming from the back parts of the windows. What I can't figure out now is where the remaining noise is coming from. There's normal wind noise coming from the windshield of course, but there's also a kind of rustling noise that's especially apparent with strong side winds. It sounds like it's coming from the upper part of the window/seals. However, even though there are some areas here that are not perfectly tight against the window, I'm not sure that's the issue though since the window seals tight against the seal on the top. This is one of the problematic areas due to bulging in the seal:

View attachment 529196

The upper part of the window seal is much stiffer than the back part, and it doesn't seem possible to insert anything under the seal itself or the (large) inner flap to push it out.

Another potential source of issues could be the triangle pieces next to the side mirrors. It sounds like some wind noise is coming from here as well but I'm not sure how to fix it. The triangles don't seem to be sticking out enough to cause noise, as I've seen on some M3s.

View attachment 529203 View attachment 529204

I also tried adding B-type seals to different positions on the inside of the door, to make the door shut tighter against the triangle/plastic piece. This helped a little, but the noise is still not eliminated.

View attachment 529206

Any ideas on how to improve here is greatly appreciated.

I hope some kind souls could share ideas for how to fix the remaining noise. If not, then at least I hope you can use my approach above to eliminate some of your own.
What size of b-style seals was used? I got the one which is about 13mm wide and somehow it feels too big. The other ones I saw on Amazon were about the same size.

It looks more like d-style on the picture. I'm talking about b pillar driver door trim.
That is what I have for B type trim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230506_111525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230506_111525_Chrome.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 145