Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Damaged the Chrome :o(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some scratches on mine (caused by a door closing with the window fully up somehow) but was worried that any attempt to fix would make it worse. I am assuming that is consists of a thin layer of shiny metal coated in plastic/lacquer to stop it oxidising. Any attempt to polish I would think would just remove more of the coating and make it worse but if you find a way please report back

Just a quick update on this.

Tesla Ranger Sid from Birmingham called today. He replaced the damaged trim piece under warranty, and while he was here he did the recall wiring mod under the frunk to prevent water ingress. I continue to be happy with Tesla service.
did you raise the service request just to get this fixed? I never got mine done since I could not face a trip to Birmingham. but if I can get a ranger to come out and do it... They didn't question it at all or try to say it was your fault?

did you raise the service request just to get this fixed? I never got mine done since I could not face a trip to Birmingham. but if I can get a ranger to come out and do it... They didn't question it at all or try to say it was your fault?
Yes, I just raised a service request for trim damaged by window glass. Originally I could only book a Stockport SC appointment, but when they rang to discuss it I asked if it could be changed to a Ranger visit. They then transferred the job to Birmingham SC, because our postcode is the Birmingham ranger’s area. Ranger came yesterday. Job invoiced as £0.00 under warranty.

Never any question about it not being under warranty, or my fault. The Ranger said “It happens!”

I’d go for it!

Almost certainly. It can happen, if attention is not paid to where the windows are, particularly if you play about with the electrics (changing puddle lights for example will make the windows roll up if they're in the dropped position)

Moderator comment - merged (and 3 other posts) from 'Rear Window Failure'

Odd one today and wondering if anyone has had this.

I opened the rear door and didn't notice the window didn't drop. There was quite a horrible noise as the window and the door seal broke suction but luckily no visible damage.

However, once open the window did drop. So I closed the door as normal. Only...

The window actually went back up before the door fully closed and actually slammed into the chrome frame as I shut the door. I THINK the window survived but the chrome window frame has been scratched to pieces. If I put a service centre ticket in I wonder if repairing the chrome will be fixed under warranty? I doubt it. Maybe this will just force my decision to dechrome the car?

Last edited by a moderator:
The window actually went back up before the door fully closed and actually slammed into the chrome frame as I shut the door. I THINK the window survived but the chrome window frame has been scratched to pieces. If I put a service centre ticket in I wonder if repairing the chrome will be fixed under warranty? I doubt it. Maybe this will just force my decision to dechrome the car?

Note the time this happened so you can report it to Tesla. You are definitely entitled to a full repair/replacement due to this fault.