Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Damaged the Chrome :o(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - merged from Window trim damaged by glass

When I was cleaning the car last week before we came away on holiday I noticed some scuffs on the trim above the rear passenger window. There are four small vertical scuff marks, which I assume have been caused by the window glass riding up over the trim. I’ve no idea when it happened, certainly since I last cleaned the car.

As it isn’t supposed to do this, has anyone else experienced this problem, and will Tesla sort it out under warranty?

F4653238-4B6D-4855-8866-C5C7843CD491.jpeg
899B5704-66A8-49B9-BC2C-C59E4D240E65.jpeg
30966A00-E105-48AB-A0E6-0A8E4A46B049.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the way the glass slides up under the trim after the door closes, it's hard to see how it could jump that far out. Is it possible that the glass is somehow rising back up to the door closed position, whilst the door is open? That may explain it, as the glass would then hit the trim as the door closes, and perhaps the mechanism senses this, lowers the glass (causing the scrape marks) and then raises it again.

Might be worth doing a few tests to see if the glass does somehow raise above the door opening position when the door's open, or, perhaps, if it's possible to do this accidentally whilst the door is open, using the window switches. I've noticed a few times that I've accidentally opened the rear nearside window, no idea how, but I'm guessing that I must somehow lean on the button when opening, or perhaps closing, the driver's door. It's a lot harder to accidentally raise a window, though, so that looks improbable as a cause.

Reactions: Roy W.
Looking at the way the glass slides up under the trim after the door closes, it's hard to see how it could jump that far out. Is it possible that the glass is somehow rising back up to the door closed position, whilst the door is open? That may explain it, as the glass would then hit the trim as the door closes, and perhaps the mechanism senses this, lowers the glass (causing the scrape marks) and then raises it again.

Might be worth doing a few tests to see if the glass does somehow raise above the door opening position when the door's open, or, perhaps, if it's possible to do this accidentally whilst the door is open, using the window switches. I've noticed a few times that I've accidentally opened the rear nearside window, no idea how, but I'm guessing that I must somehow lean on the button when opening, or perhaps closing, the driver's door. It's a lot harder to accidentally raise a window, though, so that looks improbable as a cause.
I’ll do a few tests, but perhaps not until Wednesday when the rain stops. :rolleyes:

I wondered if the “automatic” system for lowering the glass when the door is open somehow got its knickers in a twist.

Ah, ok yes that ruins that theory.

@Roy W. have you had the door cards off or could the door puddle light connection be loose ? this rolls the window up to top position unless it’s rolled down when you have the door open.

for the time being it’s worth following the window calibration/reset procedure in the manual.

I’ll do a few tests, but perhaps not until Wednesday when the rain stops. :rolleyes:

I wondered if the “automatic” system for lowering the glass when the door is open somehow got its knickers in a twist.

That was my thinking, that somehow the automatic glass lowering feature had got confused, and raised the glass whilst the door was open.

Presumably this system uses the same door open/closed sensors that are used for the warnings, interior lights, etc. Not sure how they work, but I wonder if there may be some way to accidentally activate the sensor with the door open, such that the car thinks the door is closed?

As it isn’t supposed to do this, has anyone else experienced this problem, and will Tesla sort it out under warranty?

Tesla certainly should sort it in my view because it surely cannot be seen a user error ... this shouldn't be possible unless something is faulty. I can see that it might be an awkward conversation though. Good luck with it.

Reactions: phil4 and Roy W.
Ah, ok yes that ruins that theory.

@Roy W. have you had the door cards off or could the door puddle light connection be loose ? this rolls the window up to top position unless it’s rolled down when you have the door open.

for the time being it’s worth following the window calibration/reset procedure in the manual.
I’ve never had any of the door cards off. I’ve changed the front puddle lights, but the rears are original. I’ll check that they’re working once it’s not pouring with rain. Will also try the calibration, but the window seems to be working okay now.

The exact same thing happened to my M3 a few weeks ago. I added it to an existing mobile technician appointment stating that it was clearly a hardware/software glitch. I was contacted in advance and asked for the date and time that it happened as they said they needed to check the logs to be sure that it happened as I said (the window raising the last few centimetres before the door was fully shut). They ended up covering it under the warranty and the mobile technician replaced it.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and Roy W.
The exact same thing happened to my M3 a few weeks ago. I added it to an existing mobile technician appointment stating that it was clearly a hardware/software glitch. I was contacted in advance and asked for the date and time that it happened as they said they needed to check the logs to be sure that it happened as I said (the window raising the last few centimetres before the door was fully shut). They ended up covering it under the warranty and the mobile technician replaced it.
That’s useful to know. My problem is that I’ve no idea when it occurred, other than a couple of weeks window between washes. From their response presumably it is possible to do this “deliberately”, although why would you? And how?

That’s useful to know. My problem is that I’ve no idea when it occurred, other than a couple of weeks window between washes. From their response presumably it is possible to do this “deliberately”, although why would you? And how?

Yes its annoying that they asked for the date and time as it implies it might have been avoidable. As far as Im aware, we have no control over when the window lowers/raises the first/last few centimetres. When it happened I googled and found lots of other instances of this, often in colder/freezing climates. IIRC they all managed to get it replaced under warranty. Definitely push for it as someone in the US was quoted $300 to replace that piece of trim (have no idea how accurate that price is!).

I pushed the rear passenger door closed while cleaning the other day to the point where the catch was knocked but the door didn’t “close”. Just for a second the window went up to its “closed” height before returning to its “open” height. It could be that it did this and caught the trim?

I pushed the rear passenger door closed while cleaning the other day to the point where the catch was knocked but the door didn’t “close”. Just for a second the window went up to its “closed” height before returning to its “open” height. It could be that it did this and caught the trim?
I've had something similar where the rear door has been a bit "stuck". On my car the rear doors or the rubber bits mean they're not as fluid as the fronts in terms of opening them, so you have to pull a bit harder on the handle. A couple of times I've pressed the handle and the door has popped out slightly, and it's done a sortof up, down, up, down, up, down thing with the window.

Could be that something like that happened here?

Same thing happened to my rear trim ages ago. All scratched up now but not happened since. There is also a 1-mm chip out of the corner of the window so you may want to check your glass Roy.

My slightly ajar door appeared to close itself but somehow the window popped up over the outside of the trim. I wasn't touching the car so I guess the wind must have blown the door enough to trigger the window switch but then the wind pressure stopped and the door then opened far enough quickly enough for the window to pop outside the trim.

The conditions for this to happen are fortunately rare. There doesn't seem to a defect on the door/window switch and I can't reproduce it. Although I haven't tried too hard to scratch the trim again :rolleyes:.

Perhaps the secret is to close or open doors fully esp if its windy. Just in case.

The scratches don't seem to bother me too much so not had it fixed but may mention it if I ever go into (the new) Belfast SC. Would be interested to hear if others had the trim replaced under warranty.

• Helpful