Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting: 35% or 20% on rear side windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have scheduled my car in for window tinting next week.
I have decided to only get the side windows tinted. I'm happy with the darkness and sun block on the roof glass.

Need to decide on darkness now...
- Front will be 35% - that's the law...
- Side Rear: I am choosing between 35% or 20%.

I like the idea of the front and back windows being the same tintness.
I also like the idea the back windows will provide more privacy and may look better on my white SR+. But unsure whether the darkness change between the front and back windows will look dickie.

Has anybody done a 35%/20% split and has pictures they can share?

All comments welcome.

I have scheduled my car in for window tinting next week.

All comments welcome.

You've obviously found that the roof is dark enough. Good to know as I felt that I'd get that done too.
Would you please share where you're getting that done and what you think of the final result when it's done. I was planning on getting tinting after the car is delivered, so I'll be watching this discussion with interest.

Would you please share where you're getting that done and what you think of the final result when it's done. I was planning on getting tinting after the car is delivered, so I'll be watching this discussion with interest.

I'm using Universal Tint at Brookvale.
3M Auto Tinting | Universal Tint

They use 3M film and are a 3M licensed installer.
I have used them and 3M film for 4 cars over the last 15 years.
3M film has a lifetime warranty. Not that I have had to use it.

<disclaimer: I work for 3M.... but, not in the film area and all comments are my own>

I have 3M Crystalline 40 on the front (there is not a 35 in that line apparently) and 20 at the back. I’m very happy with it. You can’t really notice the difference with the darker back when you just look at the car unless you know it is there. You can see the difference from the inside and the big plus for me is that if you look through the windows during the day you can pretty much see nothing that is on the back seat. A member of my family accidentally left their SLR camera on the back seat when we went for a walk in the blue mountains and when we got back we could not even see it was there. We could see everything on the front seat.

I’ll try to get a photo from inside and outside but you will only really see a noticeable difference in the inside shot. Night vision is no problem for anyone in the back either.

I did not tint the roof.

I have 3M Crystalline 40 on the front (there is not a 35 in that line apparently) and 20 at the back. I’m very happy with it. You can’t really notice the difference with the darker back when you just look at the car unless you know it is there. You can see the difference from the inside and the big plus for me is that if you look through the windows during the day you can pretty much see nothing that is on the back seat. A member of my family accidentally left their SLR camera on the back seat when we went for a walk in the blue mountains and when we got back we could not even see it was there. We could see everything on the front seat.

I’ll try to get a photo from inside and outside but you will only really see a noticeable difference in the inside shot. Night vision is no problem for anyone in the back either.

I did not tint the roof.

Good info. Thanks.
Did you do back part of the roof, where the demister wires are?
Driving just now I realised it has no tinting on it like the roof above the passengers.
Photos would be great too.

H
Good info. Thanks.
Did you do back part of the roof, where the demister wires are?
Driving just now I realised it has no tinting on it like the roof above the passengers.
Photos would be great too.
Hi, no I did not get any part of the roof done. I think it looks better the way it is and it blends well still with the tinted windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: Anubis
I'm booked in at Solar Style in Brisbane next week and I opted not to get the roof done either.
What film and how much did they quote you? you are not doing the untainted part of the rear roof?

I just got my car this week. I have only driven in the middle of the day a couple of times. I know many have said they don't feel the heat from the roof, but I certainly do. I am waiting for my sunshades to arrive from AliExpress, so I will see how much difference they make.

RACQ is offering 30% off for their ceramic tint, $284 for a sedan, seems relatively cheap. I was told they use Johnson film, anyone knows what the quality is like? I have booked for mine to be done, but they are booked out for 6 weeks. He said he won't do the roof, as it might result in cracking of the roof. I don't see how tinting the glass roof is any different from tinting the rear windscreen in terms of possible damage to the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I'm using Universal Tint at Brookvale.
3M Auto Tinting | Universal Tint

They use 3M film and are a 3M licensed installer.
I have used them and 3M film for 4 cars over the last 15 years.
3M film has a lifetime warranty. Not that I have had to use it.

<disclaimer: I work for 3M.... but, not in the film area and all comments are my own>

Here are some attempts at pictures. 3M Crystalline 40 and 20 done by that exact same installer. Anubis, if you happen to be around Brookvale this morning you could see my car.

Whilst I don’t have the roof done at all I do have both Tesla roof shades. They spend a lot of their time just folded in their flat bag in the boot and in reality I would not miss them if I did not already have them.
View media item 120708View media item 120707View media item 120706View media item 120705

Thanks JGDC.
I’m going to do the split 35/20. The shade difference isn’t as pronounced as I thought it would be.
Car looks really cool with the tint. Good choice!
No problem. Back years ago NSW only allowed 70% on the front and 35% on the back. This was very noticeable and put some people off split tinting for life. Really, the only way you will notice a 35/20 casually looking at the outside (mine is 40/20 so 35/20 will be even less difference) would be if I told you it was split, or you were trying to see what or who I had on the back seat!

For everyones info (in case you need it too) you can read the current NSW official guidelines here:
https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-03-rev3.pdf
It helped me as I didn't know this:

Visible light transmission (VLT) is the measure of the amount of light that passes through glass. 35% VLT means 35% of the visible light passes through the glass and the rest of the light is blocked.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis
For everyones info (in case you need it too) you can read the current NSW official guidelines here:
https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-03-rev3.pdf

Interesting... the date on this PDF is from 2003.
I think (I hope) the standards have changed since then....
Universal Tint have this on their web site.
https://www.universaltint.com.au/wo...2018/12/201811-UT-Window-Tinting-Law-Send.pdf
Which says NSW revised the regulation in November 2018.

https://www.universaltint.com.au/wo...2018/12/201811-UT-Window-Tinting-Law-Send.pdf

Yes, I saw that. So I thought I'd go to the official doc! But it's not in conflict with the Universal Tint doc, is it?
Oops, yes it is, with darker tinting allowed at the sides. Whoever was supposed to upload the new document is on leave. ;)

Yes, I saw that. So I thought I'd go to the official doc! But it's not in conflict with the Universal Tint doc, is it?
Oops, yes it is, with darker tinting allowed at the sides. Whoever was supposed to upload the new document is on leave. ;)

Hi Petros and Anubis. Go here. NSW legislation

Scroll to 44 and see point 6A there.

This is the official site for NSW and is a better informer than any historical PDF or promise from a Tinter!

BTW if you ever want to completely lose a weekend you could then deep dive into any facet of 'Is my Tesla mod legal in NSW?' that you wished :D

Regards
John

Scroll to 44 and see point 6A there.

Thanks for the pointer. Just for the record....
(6) Glazing used in a window or interior partition of a motor vehicle, other than rear glazing, may be coated to achieve a luminous transmittance of not less than 35%.
(6A) If a motor vehicle is fitted with at least 1 rear vision mirror to each side of the vehicle, the motor vehicle’s rear glazing may be coated to achieve a luminous transmittance of at least 20%.

This community is very informative and constantly surprises me in a positive way!

btw, the legislation needs updating... as Tesla Model 3 owners, we can have the rear camera activated to see behind us as we drive. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile