Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting Awareness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone has their windows tinted, they should be aware of an issue with the driver windows. My window tinter engaged the lever inside the door latch to make the door think it was closed, this caused the window to go up so he could tint the entire window. However, when he did this the driver door tried to close on him (no big deal, it stopped when it hit him), but it then messed up the window so that it would not one touch go down or up. The window also would not close all the way when the door was shut.

This was resolved by closing the door and holding the window button down until it was all the way open and raising it back up again all the way a few times. It appears this is a re-calibration of some sort. After a few up and downs it worked fine again.

This only happened on my drivers door, but I wanted others to know the solution in case they have a similar issue.

I had something similar, after having tint applied, when I tried to raise the Windows they would go to the top and then go down about half way. This is happening with both front windows, the Windows on the falcon wing doors are both working ok.

That sucks! I had a similar issue with one of my windows on my Model S. For some reason the rear back window would not go all the way up. It turns out it was the safety deal where if someones arm is in the window it goes back down. Something was making it think the window was hitting something and it would go back down. Oddly enough, when I opened the door it worked perfectly. This only occurred when the door was closed. I had a part replaced but this still occurred when it was hot outside...not sure if that is helpful or not.

• Informative
Reactions: dwebb66
That sucks! I had a similar issue with one of my windows on my Model S. For some reason the rear back window would not go all the way up. It turns out it was the safety deal where if someones arm is in the window it goes back down. Something was making it think the window was hitting something and it would go back down. Oddly enough, when I opened the door it worked perfectly. This only occurred when the door was closed. I had a part replaced but this still occurred when it was hot outside...not sure if that is helpful or not.

I had an appointment at the service center the next day (the car is still there) and they are looking at it.

Something similar happened to me, but with driver and passenger windows, but after a few toggles with the up and down switch it fixed itself. Of note, initially the windows kept going down more and more when the doors were closed shut, but self-fixed when used the toggle to raise the windows.

Confirmed this worked. We had tinting done and afterward one window was going up too far, so when the door closed it was jumping almost an inch over the trim above the door!

These are the steps I took that worked:
Step 1: Lower the window all the way; release the window button
Step 2: Hold down the window button for 30 seconds
Step 3: Raise the window all the way. Window hits the top and automatically lowers half way; release the button.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 a few times (took three tries for me) until the window hits the top and STAYS THERE; release button
Step 4: Hold up the window button for 30 seconds, all fixed.

Thanks god I saw this solution. . . . . .

The window tinting is in progress............We did once and problem happened, so we took it out and we are redoing again. . . Cross finger. .. It really starts worry about this " TOO high tech Vehicle" . . . . .

Reactions: cclaygo
Confirmed this worked. We had tinting done and afterward one window was going up too far, so when the door closed it was jumping almost an inch over the trim above the door!

These are the steps I took that worked:
Step 1: Lower the window all the way; release the window button
Step 2: Hold down the window button for 30 seconds
Step 3: Raise the window all the way. Window hits the top and automatically lowers half way; release the button.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 a few times (took three tries for me) until the window hits the top and STAYS THERE; release button
Step 4: Hold up the window button for 30 seconds, all fixed.
This actually worked for me when every other method that had been tried and tested here had work for others and not me. The 24 hour line even said we need to have your car come in but this did the trick.
I did have to try step 3 around 8-10 times before the window stopped at the top before coming down half way.