Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield backordered.. any ideas how long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a small stone chip by my rear view mirror yesterday and immediately started looking for someone to fill it. Unfortunately .like an idiot. I started my AC before I got in the car so now it's spider webbed into a 12" crack (doh).

I called the service center this morning and they said windshields are back ordered and couldn't really tell me when I'd be able to get one. Anyone have a guess how long I'll be Ace Ventura style?

wp0_wp57ce6b65.png

FYI, I'm not the only one!

Took me over 2 months as well. Definitely an issue. I complained a bit about the wait and Tesla suggested I get a rental car. They clearly have a parts issue. I hope I am wrong, but I predict increasing service issues once Model 3 volumes get higher.

All this B/O mess is ridiculous. How can a part be backorder when you are building hundred of the same product each week. Tesla should step up and god if you have 200 windshield B/O for repairs, well sell what you have in stock for building your damn cars. This is non-sense.

I can only think of two possible causes

1) They're conserving cash by limiting (eliminating) inventory of service parts
2) They have a serious supply chain management problem

i could go either way. Tesla's really in a class by itself right now for EVs until competitive charging networks come up, but I've never had the impression that day to day operations were managed very well. This is not Toyota.

Insane. Windshields? 2 months? Should I stockpile them and sell them on eBay?
As of early last year, one of the two local authorized repair shops had stockpiled an entire set of S glass and both bumpers. Though of course there have been changes to the bumpers over time so who knows how that worked out for them really. They were trying to get a set of X glass but Tesla wouldn't sell it to them without a VIN, and they didn't want to "pollute" a customer's service record with "repairs" from the parts orders...

The parts situation with our cars is absurd.

In BC I replace my windshield every year. No matter what car. Our insurance works that way, we pay $200 and they allow us a new one each spring. This year the multiple cracks from rock chips made an entire circle to frame the front. First year it did that. No problem if I can't get it right away... the first chips happen Nov/Dec and by March or April they have almost finished moving the snow and gravel off the roads so I only got one chip so far this May.