TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield backordered.. any ideas how long?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by twonius, May 11, 2018.

1. twonius

twonius Member

Got a small stone chip by my rear view mirror yesterday and immediately started looking for someone to fill it. Unfortunately .like an idiot. I started my AC before I got in the car so now it's spider webbed into a 12" crack (doh).

I called the service center this morning and they said windshields are back ordered and couldn't really tell me when I'd be able to get one. Anyone have a guess how long I'll be Ace Ventura style?

[​IMG]

FYI, I'm not the only one!

• Funny x 2
  2. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

I just replaced mine for a similar chip, wait time was ~ 2 months?

3. croman

croman Active Member

Insane. Windshields? 2 months? Should I stockpile them and sell them on eBay?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. David.85D

David.85D Member

I’ve thought about stashing one in the basement...

• Funny x 2
  5. croman

croman Active Member

It's not unreasonable to ponder.

6. twonius

twonius Member

Just stay away from the Rich Rebuilds videos or that could get out of hand

"Well I left Kentucky back twenty one nine
    and went to Fremont working on the assembly line
    First year that had me putting wheels on model S... "

7. morepower

morepower Member

It was almost 2 months for me :(. I'm glad the crack was on the passenger side so it didn't obstruct my view.

8. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Scheduled with my local SC/mobile service team. They said 1-2 weeks for ordering #shrug

9. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

How much is a windshield for model S?

10. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

windshield costs ~$850 from Tesla. Labor is an addl $250ish.
    Think my total cost was $1135.

• Helpful x 1
  11. bandido

bandido Member

Took me over 2 months as well. Definitely an issue. I complained a bit about the wait and Tesla suggested I get a rental car. They clearly have a parts issue. I hope I am wrong, but I predict increasing service issues once Model 3 volumes get higher.

12. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

All this B/O mess is ridiculous. How can a part be backorder when you are building hundred of the same product each week. Tesla should step up and god if you have 200 windshield B/O for repairs, well sell what you have in stock for building your damn cars. This is non-sense.

• Like x 1
  13. twonius

twonius Member

I can only think of two possible causes

1) They're conserving cash by limiting (eliminating) inventory of service parts
    2) They have a serious supply chain management problem

i could go either way. Tesla's really in a class by itself right now for EVs until competitive charging networks come up, but I've never had the impression that day to day operations were managed very well. This is not Toyota.

14. tls

tls Member

As of early last year, one of the two local authorized repair shops had stockpiled an entire set of S glass and both bumpers. Though of course there have been changes to the bumpers over time so who knows how that worked out for them really. They were trying to get a set of X glass but Tesla wouldn't sell it to them without a VIN, and they didn't want to "pollute" a customer's service record with "repairs" from the parts orders...

The parts situation with our cars is absurd.

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's about what mine cost last year.

16. Visscher

Visscher Member

In BC I replace my windshield every year. No matter what car. Our insurance works that way, we pay $200 and they allow us a new one each spring. This year the multiple cracks from rock chips made an entire circle to frame the front. First year it did that. No problem if I can't get it right away... the first chips happen Nov/Dec and by March or April they have almost finished moving the snow and gravel off the roads so I only got one chip so far this May.