Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield distortion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice my front windshield has a minor distortion, almost like mildly looking through a funhouse mirror. Is this normal? I’m starting to wonder if it’s giving me headaches, almost like an incorrect glasses prescription. Before I bother service, I wanted to know if this was a normal thing or if I’m just noticing something insignificant? I don’t recall my previous car having this issue. Anyone else notice this?

Yes noticed this on taking delivery. It stopped bothering us after a few days and my wife didn’t get the headache anymore. Just see if you can localize where the distortion is and how much you actually end up looking at it when you’re not trying to.

If it’s a large area then you could look at getting it replaced.

There's a bit of that on the passenger side of my car -- at least, as viewed from the driver's seat. I've not tried sitting in the passenger seat to see if it's a symmetrical issue to do with seeing through the glass at an angle or if it's a flaw on the passenger side of the glass. It's minor enough that I haven't complained to Tesla about it.

FWIW, I saw something similar in a 2015 VW Golf that I once owned, too. I don't recall seeing anything like that in any other car I've owned.

There's a bit of that on the passenger side of my car -- at least, as viewed from the driver's seat. I've not tried sitting in the passenger seat to see if it's a symmetrical issue to do with seeing through the glass at an angle or if it's a flaw on the passenger side of the glass. It's minor enough that I haven't complained to Tesla about it.

FWIW, I saw something similar in a 2015 VW Golf that I once owned, too. I don't recall seeing anything like that in any other car I've owned.

Same here, I can see some distortion towards the passenger side of the glass, but it's subtle enough that I really only see it when staring in that direction while making left turns. Not worth the hassle of a replacement IMO. Would definitely bother me if the distortion was in my line of sight all the time though.

there was a thread created by someone in spain or portugal who was upset about how Tesla is handling there situation with the windshield distortion.
It is a company car and all the employees were getting sick.

Somehow I didn’t notice that mine has this on the passenger side for several months but I noticed it while circling several floors leaving a parking garage. It’s definitely there in the right third of the windshield about 1/3 of the way up. It doesn’t bother me so I haven’t brought it up to Tesla. I only really notice it while turning to leave the garage so it should be okay. Weird defect though. But maybe all glass has distortion to some extent when viewed at an angle?