Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2013 CPO P85 on Friday. When we took it for the shakedown run with the DS, I noticed distortion at the base of the windshield. I didn't notice this on the test drive.

Is this normal? I have never experienced a windshield with this kind of noticeable distortion. After I drove it home, I felt a little nauseous and wondered if it was due to my peripheral vision picking up the distortion.

I really like the car on many levels. On other levels, it is behind the 5 year-old BMW I traded in. Not complaining, but I have significant BMW iDrive experience on many iterations. There are things that one would think are simple that are not done, such as email and text display (BT Message Access Protocol).

Thanks to all have posted here. I learned a lot about the car before I got it.

This is normal. It has been in the front windshield design since day 1. I agree that it does bother your eyes if you stare at it but in 3 years of ownership it has not bothered me in daily driving.
In almost 3 years of ownership...I have never noticed any distortion in the windshield. But I'm sure if I look really hard I will see it and it will really bother me. ;)

I noticed this when I got my car in early 2013, and quickly was able to ignore it.

A larger problem is that Tesla changed the defroster vents several years ago. The original defroster vents were covered by a non-reflective material. That material is gone, and the vents are now exposed - and when I've driving loaners, it's been harder for me to ignore the reflections of the vents in the windshield.

The small distortion at the bottom of the windshield has not been a problem.

I picked up my 2013 CPO P85 on Friday. When we took it for the shakedown run with the DS, I noticed distortion at the base of the windshield. I didn't notice this on the test drive.

Is this normal? I have never experienced a windshield with this kind of noticeable distortion. After I drove it home, I felt a little nauseous and wondered if it was due to my peripheral vision picking up the distortion.

I really like the car on many levels. On other levels, it is behind the 5 year-old BMW I traded in. Not complaining, but I have significant BMW iDrive experience on many iterations. There are things that one would think are simple that are not done, such as email and text display (BT Message Access Protocol).

Thanks to all have posted here. I learned a lot about the car before I got it.

My 2016 S also has the windshield distortion problem. The bottom two inches of the windshield are distorted. Shorter passengers that ride low in the car complain about it.

Has anyone successfully had their windshield replaced with one that wasn't so badly distorted?