Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield ghosting Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a serious ghosting issue with a June S75. Not distortion, just light refracting weird from other cars stop lights and front lights at night. Pretty much in the middle of the windshield left to right about 2 inches wide. At night cars that are not very close shows double lights - very annoying. If I move my head up or down the ghosting is gone.
I reported.. will get a new windshield. I just wonder if anyone else had this issue. It appears to have been a big problem for the X. In fact the SC has a device that can measure the optics. Of course they tried to tell me that it looks normal to them but it classifies as a safety issues and they agreed to change it.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
My June 100D has a similar issue. Maybe a bad lot of windshields? for me it's some kind of "frosting" which appears to be within the windshield and not on the surface, and only visible when the sun is low and hitting it at just the right angle. It passes all clarity tests so the SC initially didn't do anything but I took some pics early morning and you can see a line where the frosting starts just to the right of the wheel. After seeing the pics the SC ordered me a new one and we're just waiting for it now.

Attachments

• windshield_1.JPG
    windshield_1.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 198
My June 100D has a similar issue. Maybe a bad lot of windshields? for me it's some kind of "frosting" which appears to be within the windshield and not on the surface, and only visible when the sun is low and hitting it at just the right angle.

Mine was also slightly annoying with low sun reflection similar to yours, but the nighttime issues worsened to the point it was dangerous to drive (and it looked like Christmas in July :D ). No problems since the replacement, and I have an X without any problems either. Good luck to you.

Story continues.
Tesla of Bellevue replaced my windshield but then it has not been placed well and I was getting wind noise around it. Went back, they replaced it again! Now I got ghosting back. Surprisingly they had a windshield in stock. I hope they did not put back the original windshield. They have some tooling to test this in the shop. They put a light on a tripod and observe the light doubling inside the car through some ring. If the ghost light comes inside the ring they claim this is within norms. Now, the issue is that for me the further the light the more ghosting. If light is really close you see no ghosting. If I move my head really low the ghosting is not present. Nevertheless out on the roads you see a tone of lights all over and it is very disturbing and gets you tired driving at night, specifically on highways with lots of cars. It does this to headlights and really bad to stop lights. Making low quality windshields and coming up with a way to counter the customer issue .. sounds like a real bad idea. Specifically since this is a safety issue.
Service now claims they can't do anything and need to escalate. Sound ridiculous.
I am amazed there not many people reporting this kind of issue. It can't be an isolated case.
Problem is they have issues with windshield coating process - it is not uniform. Also, why is it so hard to insulate well the windshield? They have a 3rd party windshield repair company doing the work. Is the frame bent? I hope not.

Correct. Pay attention to the ones more distant. Also looking left it will be more noticeable too. But watch incoming cars on highway.
I thought the same thing at some point.. must see an eye doctor.... but no ... Funny, if you google glass optics you get directly to Tesla complaints but mostly for the X. X had this big time at the beginning but they fixed it at some point. It is really weird to have the issue with the S.

My June 100D has a similar issue. Maybe a bad lot of windshields? for me it's some kind of "frosting" which appears to be within the windshield and not on the surface, and only visible when the sun is low and hitting it at just the right angle. It passes all clarity tests so the SC initially didn't do anything but I took some pics early morning and you can see a line where the frosting starts just to the right of the wheel. After seeing the pics the SC ordered me a new one and we're just waiting for it now.
also june 100D. with the low winter sun is it also near impossible to see anything for you?

Our new Model S had the windshield replaced because of ghosting and too much distortion (objects changing shape as you drive) as well as a hazy or cloudy effect especially when the sun hits the windshield at certain angles. The replacement windshield is almost as bad! And it also has major ghosting just like the one that was replaced. I really have a hard time trying to focus on specific objects, I realize this is because of the ghosting effect. I am concerned that if I go though the trouble to get another replacement It may have the same problems. Anyone checked into aftermarket windshields? I think I will.

Last edited:
Where I live, if you don't like your windshield (ghosting, whatever).. just wait and within 2 years you'll be getting a new one anyway.
...it'll be so pitted and cracked up you'll want to replace it.

I am seriously thinking of just ordering my next one "on spec" even though my current one is fine. Just based on lead times it took to get my previous replacement... was about 4 months? Maybe they're faster now.

Reactions: audiofan
I just got my car back. This would be the 4th glass on it. It has ghosting, I can see it in daylight .... cloudy, gray outside.. lots of cars with lights on and I can see it easy. This time at least it has been installed well and I get no wind noise but I cannot believe the problem with the glass quality. Out of 4 I had 3 with ghosting. It must be more than this out there. I don't see ghosting with other cars.. yeah maybe some people are more sensitive to this but I just had 2 rented cars plus my X5, no ghosting.
I believe I will try to go to a glass company and have it tested otherwise the service manager will think I out of my mind.
Again, this is about lights doubling at night passing through the windshield. There must be lots more people with the issue on cars built this year at least.