Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement is getting out of hand - cracks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y. Cracked windshield within 2 months of taking possession. Thought it was bad luck. And surprised that such a small pebble would lead to a full crack over whole glass. Don't mind rock chip repairs but was insanely fast how it spread within minutes and became a non option.

Now onto my 4th windshield in 3 years. Huge cracks form after small rock chips. Have noticed lots of chatter about similar stories and starting to wonder if that glass on the Model Y (and sounds like 3) is brittle/ fragile/ poorly designed/ leads to full windshield cracks that go beyond simple chip repairs.

Anyone stumble onto any good options? At $1000 a pop this is getting a bit expensive.

B

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man and KJD
I'm also on my 4th windshield. First one happened 2 days after taking delivery. I've just always used the glass policy of my insurance. Tougher glass is one of the things I'm excited about for my Cybertruck (when I eventually get it).

talk to a tint shop.. here in calif (USA) my buddies shop can install clear shield (like a tint that helps with protecting the windshield)
Nice idea but it would take a long time to make it worth it based on the few $$ per month I spend on glass replacement on my insurance policy. I think it's about $3 more per month. I guarantee you're not getting that shield installed for less than about $400 in SoCal.

I drove my Model 3 for 140k miles and repaired and filled 5 different rock chips, always before the damage spread. If you get the initial damage before too long you can often avoid replacement and only have a tiny distortion in the glass.

With my Model Y I got a crack within the first 5k miles, and no other damage in the last year.

Rock chips are pretty much luck of the draw in my opinion with a small chance to catch them if you see the impact and fill it quickly.

Reactions: Pianewman
Haven't replaced a windshield yet in our 3 or Y, but I have had rock chips filled on each of them so far.🤞However I had a jeep wrangler I averaged at least two windshields a year in that vehicle (thanks to the windshield that was almost vertical).

Model Y. Cracked windshield within 2 months of taking possession. Thought it was bad luck. And surprised that such a small pebble would lead to a full crack over whole glass. Don't mind rock chip repairs but was insanely fast how it spread within minutes and became a non option.

Now onto my 4th windshield in 3 years. Huge cracks form after small rock chips. Have noticed lots of chatter about similar stories and starting to wonder if that glass on the Model Y (and sounds like 3) is brittle/ fragile/ poorly designed/ leads to full windshield cracks that go beyond simple chip repairs.

Anyone stumble onto any good options? At $1000 a pop this is getting a bit expensive.

B
When getting a new windshield ask for a thicker glass... acoustic laminated...most places will give you a cheaper windshield..or go to the factory and pay the price for the original glass instead of the aftermarket!!

When getting a new windshield ask for a thicker glass... acoustic laminated...most places will give you a cheaper windshield..or go to the factory and pay the price for the original glass instead of the aftermarket!!
Could you please provide source of this information, and where a shop could find "thicker glass...acoustic laminate..."?

I'm doubtful.

Read a lot of speculation about "poor quality" Tesla glass also, are there any replacements that people feel is a superior product to Tesla glass, even if empirical and anecdotal?

Drive around mountain roads that are frequently graveled in the winter, just can't avoid issues even with conservative following distance with opposing traffic and passing lanes.

Tesla does not allow 3rd party replacement parts (this is one of the sticky points that Elon is gonna have to change if he wants to remain competitive over the long run). They may have more than one supplier, but it's highly doubtful that they're making Tesla approved windshields to differing specifications.

Tesla does not allow 3rd party replacement parts (this is one of the sticky points that Elon is gonna have to change if he wants to remain competitive over the long run). They may have more than one supplier, but it's highly doubtful that they're making Tesla approved windshields to differing specifications.
That would make sense for Tesla to not waranty a non-Tesla or non-approved part. I also don't think this replacement of one part with a non-approved one would dissolve the rest of the car's waranty.

Like others have asked, where is it shown that a particular windshield is better and who has these better windshields for a Tesla? Inquiring minds wanna know.

It would be helpful to know if anyone that has had a replacement windshield actually INQUIRED about windshield manufacturers that offer different specifications, or if there actually ARE alternate sources for Tesla windshields.

I highly doubt it, but I won't mind being proven wrong.