Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was unlucky enough to catch a good sized rock while driving on the freeway.

It created a significant bullseye crack and skipped up about 3-4 inches causing another crack.

I first contacted Safelite. I uploaded the same photo attached to this thread and they determined that a repair was not possible - needed to replace the windshield.

Unfortunately, Safelite needs to special order windshields from Tesla - takes about 2-3 weeks.

So, I opened a service request with Tesla through my app. They had an available time slot the day after I returned from a trip. This was at the Fremont, CA service center.

I showed up for my appointment - they took the car and gave me $100 Uber credits. I got an alert about 2 hours later saying the car was ready.

Paid through the app - total was $885.00.

No issues - really simple transaction...and a brand new windshield...

Was unlucky enough to catch a good sized rock while driving on the freeway.

It created a significant bullseye crack and skipped up about 3-4 inches causing another crack.

I first contacted Safelite. I uploaded the same photo attached to this thread and they determined that a repair was not possible - needed to replace the windshield.

Unfortunately, Safelite needs to special order windshields from Tesla - takes about 2-3 weeks.

So, I opened a service request with Tesla through my app. They had an available time slot the day after I returned from a trip. This was at the Fremont, CA service center.

I showed up for my appointment - they took the car and gave me $100 Uber credits. I got an alert about 2 hours later saying the car was ready.

Paid through the app - total was $885.00.

No issues - really simple transaction...and a brand new windshield...

what was the safelite quote?

Now since Tesla does not work with insurance claims, did you pay out of pocket and now submitting it for reimbursement with your insurance? btw what insurance do you use?

If my comprehensive is $500 deductible, then i'd do this route with insurance. But if deductible is $1000, then out of pocket is the better route.

Responding to a couple of questions...

Never got a quote from Safelite. When they said it would take 2-3 weeks (at best) to get the windshield from Tesla I gave up on them. By the way, they explained that in the past they were able to quickly - like same day - obtain windshields from local Tesla service centers. Then Tesla changed their policy and Safelite must order from either California or Pennsylvania Tesla warehouses(?).

I have insurance through Tesla but have the $1,000 deductible. I called and got through to an agent right away. They opened a claim and said an adjustor would contact me in 24-48 hours. I got a call about 5 hours later from the adjustor. They explained that deductibles are waived if the glass can be repaired. But, not for a full replacement. So I just paid the $885.

Hope this helps with others that have to deal with windshield issues and Tesla insurance. Both were very smooth...at least for me.

FWIW folks might want to check what a $0 deductible for comprehensive costs, for me it was like $10 more or something stupidly cheap, basically comes out ahead if I replace 1 windshield a decade or something, and I definitely do it more than that.

Reactions: Gotham1012
How is this handled for someone who has State Farm insurance?

it depends on your individual specific policy. Somewhere in the fine print is a section on glass. And of course your choice of deductible ($0, $100, $500, $1,000?)

some insurance companies, can vary by state rules, may require their preferred repair site.

it’s usually easier to call your agent and ask.

it depends on your individual specific policy. Somewhere in the fine print is a section on glass. And of course your choice of deductible ($0, $100, $500, $1,000?)

some insurance companies, can vary by state rules, may require their preferred repair site.

it’s usually easier to call your agent and ask.
I have a deductible ($500 I think) ...so looks like i would file a claim just like I have in the past

Just renewed my insurance and no deductible coverage for glass is not available in WA state unfortunately. I have already had 2 windshields shattered by pebbles driving on 1-5 and currently have a chip in my windshield that was repaired.

I am having mine done in Sterling, VA right now. 975$ but I have Erie with 0$ deductible. Erie's windshield program is run by Safelite but I just called and said I don't want to take my car to two different places because of calibration and they gave me no push back whatsoever. They called the service center and gave them a PO authorization and received the quote and everything, we will see if I have to pay for it and file a reimbursement when I pick it up.

Just renewed my insurance and no deductible coverage for glass is not available in WA state unfortunately. I have already had 2 windshields shattered by pebbles driving on 1-5 and currently have a chip in my windshield that was repaired.

I have State Farm Insurance and live in WA State and have $0 deductible comprehensive so all glass replacements are no cost to me. Maybe that policy is specific to another insurance company?

I have State Farm Insurance and live in WA State and have $0 deductible comprehensive so all glass replacements are no cost to me. Maybe that policy is specific to another insurance company?
Seriously? I couldn’t find anything about it in WA and when I spoke to my Geico rep, she said it did not exist in WA. I figured that was right because I didn’t see the option when I was shopping around and getting quotes but I guess that’s wrong.

Seriously? I couldn’t find anything about it in WA and when I spoke to my Geico rep, she said it did not exist in WA. I figured that was right because I didn’t see the option when I was shopping around and getting quotes but I guess that’s wrong.
not In WA but my glass is not separate coverage its under comp, some insurance companies do offer a glass plan (when I was in VA this was the case) and some states (FL, TX maybe?) by law require insurance companies to fix windshields for free regardless of comp coverage.

Reactions: PNWLeccy

I've been with State Farm in WA State for over 40 years, so maybe I"m "grandfathered in" or something. I definitely have zero dollar deductible though, and I tested that with a windshield repair on my M3P a couple of years ago. Safelite did a great job but they weren't cheap. I paid nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
My Model 3 has a small stone chip in the black area at the top of the windshield. Tesla service center says it will be $885 for the repair. From what I read here it sounds like they want to replace the windshield to fix a tiny chip. Is that really necessary?