Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Commuting on 880 in Northern California has averaged a cracked windshield every two years. I started thinking I beat the average last month since it has been a little over 2 years.

Yesterday my luck ran out. Good news is the Sunnyvale service center was fantastic - they made accommodations for a loaner and scheduled the replacement immediately. Plus I will get the tires rotated and the seat belts checked. I am impressed with the service over my previous German car dealers.

Reactions: mshuang
A couple searches online indicated $1,500 to $2,000 so I didn't ask. I will let you know after I pick it up.

All this sounded high based on a recent replacement of my windshield on NorCal. I just found my service order receipt it is $1030 out the door. $540 parts, $490 labor, done by Fremont Service center a few months ago. Bastards at GEICO covered me for $176 dollars of it claiming they could get it done cheaper...

Yeah that jives with what the my windshield replacement cost too at my service center. About $1000. Glad I'm not with Geico! But then again, State Farm just pays out fully and the jacks up rates to cover it, so works out the same in the end!

All this sounded high based on a recent replacement of my windshield on NorCal. I just found my service order receipt it is $1030 out the door. $540 parts, $490 labor, done by Fremont Service center a few months ago. Bastards at GEICO covered me for $176 dollars of it claiming they could get it done cheaper...

Adding on glass Coverage to your Auto Policy is often a good thing. it's a minimal cost and the deductible is usually around $100.00
If they can Epoxy it it to fill it before it crack that is usually free.

I would have challenged Geico as to where they though they could get the glass from. They would have ended up at Tesla anyway.

$490 in labor seems a bit on the high side - was this GEICO's contention? I hope the $176 was after deductible.

Even billed at $200/hour, that's 2.5 hours. My (non-Tesla) experience with windshield replacement is that it normally takes no more than 1 man-hour. Usually closer to half an hour.

I assume the rain sensor takes additional time (none of my prior cars have had a rain sensor). And connecting up the windshield wiper heaters, if you have them. But still...

Commuting on 880 in Northern California has averaged a cracked windshield every two years. I started thinking I beat the average last month since it has been a little over 2 years.

Yesterday my luck ran out. Good news is the Sunnyvale service center was fantastic - they made accommodations for a loaner and scheduled the replacement immediately. Plus I will get the tires rotated and the seat belts checked. I am impressed with the service over my previous German car dealers.

With a record of every 2 years I would suggest checking out Clear-Plex. I also have a very bad record with windshields and also don't like replacing them as things don't ever see exactly 100% right when replaced. I installed the Clear-Plex film on my 85D the 2nd week I had it (albeit after a very tiny rock chip) and have absolutely been 100% happy with the product. Installation, ehh, but the product is fantastic. Have already had several rocks that WOULD have resulted in a replacement and the film has performed as advertised. The beauty is that the film can be peeled off and replaced with as often as necessary depending on wear and tear. I paid $275 for it. Not sure if that was a good deal but I find it as cheap insurance. Here is a link to find a shop near you. Windshield Protection Products - ClearPlex

I just had mine replaced at the TESLA Mississauga (Toronto) service centre.
$716 for windshield (with heated wiper element) and $350 installation. $1066 $CDN. Deduct 30% for my American friends. $1500-$2000 seems VERY high.
Note: My deductible is $1000 - so I paid it out of pocket

^^ Yes, good point. It's hard to tell from this thread if we're perhaps comparing apples-to-apples. FWIW, I would always expect the windshield replacement for a MS with the Cold Package and/or Autopilot to be higher than one without due to additional heater elements in the windshield for the former; and if you have Autopilot, according to the Owner's Manual, realignment of the camera (by a SC) is necessary whenever the windshield is replaced.

I'll be getting mine replaced soon. My deductible is $250 and the insurance company is trying to run the claim through Safelite Auto Glass. Apparently they're currently looking for the part. It's a basic windshield from a 2012.

So, are they going to find the right part? Should I call the service center to get that ball rolling now? Thoughts about the Safelite mobile installation service?

USAA used Safelite to replace a back heated window on my MB GL63 and there was only one part available and it was OEM and they did it for much cheaper than MB was quoting. Cost me $100 for ded, but the whole job was about $350. I wouldn't worry as it has to be OEM with Tesla as well. Safelite came to the house and had it done in under an hour.

USAA used Safelite to replace a back heated window on my MB GL63 and there was only one part available and it was OEM and they did it for much cheaper than MB was quoting. Cost me $100 for ded, but the whole job was about $350. I wouldn't worry as it has to be OEM with Tesla as well. Safelite came to the house and had it done in under an hour.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking it was either that they would have all kinds of experience and do a great job or they would be less attentive because they've done a ton of them.

I'll be getting mine replaced soon. My deductible is $250 and the insurance company is trying to run the claim through Safelite Auto Glass. Apparently they're currently looking for the part. It's a basic windshield from a 2012.

So, are they going to find the right part? Should I call the service center to get that ball rolling now? Thoughts about the Safelite mobile installation service?
I've used Safelite a bunch of times (seems I'm replacing a windshield just about once a year) and they've always done a great job. Very convenient since they come to your house. My Land Rover always gets an OEM windshield since it has embedded heater wires in it.

That said, I think I would go to Tesla for a Tesla windshield replacement since it is more complex with the camera mounting. I'd want to make sure that was done right and I know Tesla will do it right with the right parts.

I've used Safelite a bunch of times (seems I'm replacing a windshield just about once a year) and they've always done a great job. Very convenient since they come to your house. My Land Rover always gets an OEM windshield since it has embedded heater wires in it.

That said, I think I would go to Tesla for a Tesla windshield replacement since it is more complex with the camera mounting. I'd want to make sure that was done right and I know Tesla will do it right with the right parts.

But is there a camera in mine? I've got a 2012 with none of the fancy AP stuff.