Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield rock chip repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can have it patched at Safelite, do it. Our chip quickly spiraled into a huge crack, and it cost almost $1500 to replace it at Tesla plus a 2 week wait for a windshield to come in (though we paid only our $500 deductible).

I had Safelite repair rock chip over one month ago ... so far so good ....no spread and it is not noticeable to an observer ..... it was initially a circular crack a bit smaller than a dime ......as moxart626 says do it right away.... if you glass coverage should be good either way.... i did not want to replace a windshield on a 1 month old car

My Model X took a flying rock hit yesterday and I have a very small chip in the windshield. If this were my old ICE I would consider doing the "bullet" repair but not sure with the Tesla windshield. Anybody been down this road?

I'm going to echo the others here. Same thing happened to my MX 3 weeks ago. Boy was I upset. But I knew from what I read it was risky waiting even thinking it through. The concern that spare windshields were even readily available; and the authorized body shop over an hour away, etc., and my loving my car. I did the Safelite approach, 10 minutes away and while I waited. My insurance company pays 100% of that cost regardless of deductable (and mine is $1000). The cost was about $70 - cheap. The tiny chip is sealed mid windshield on the passenger side. It pretty much just looks like a bug is stuck there. I could try and upload a picture but it is really hard to get the contrast enough to see it.

My Model X took a flying rock hit yesterday and I have a very small chip in the windshield. If this were my old ICE I would consider doing the "bullet" repair but not sure with the Tesla windshield. Anybody been down this road?

I got a 3mm chip and 15mm crack from a rock last Spring near the center bottom of My MS windshield. I've used Safelite in the past, but used an independent this time. He drilled the chip and filled the crack with resin - $85.
You can still see some of the crack, but the chip is now perfectly smooth. He said he can replace the windshield for much less than Tesla if the crack gets bigger, around $1000.

In the category of 'me too', I got a chip repaired last week by safelite; looks almost good as new. They came out the day following my call. Also discovered that, since I have Gieco and comprehensive, they waived the deductible.

Get it fixed now! We got a chip in Dallas on Monday and pulled over immediately. While looking up Safelite's number, the chip spread into an 8 inch horizontal split as we watched. Safelite said they don't repair cracks bigger than a dollar bill, so we moved on. The crack is now 3 feet long, mostly in the black bottom area out of sight. I'm not changing a windshield on a 3 month old car, since it's not a visibility issue. Our deductible is $200 and we have accident forgiveness, so we'll just change it at our first annual service in December.

I have repaired a few windshield rock chips on the Model X. I have had no issues with the repair process. www.simplifywindshieldrepair.com

• Disagree
Reactions: puhiniho