Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model X was delivered to me without any windshield wiper fluid. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of going through service, so I was just going to buy some fluid myself. When I read my car manual, it states, "Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash," yet many of the fluids on the market do have these formulas. Does anyone have a recommendation on wiper fluid that is compatible for a Tesla?

I add a tiny bit of my car wash detergent to water and mix well before adding, & have had no problems. Water alone should do fine, but it's nice to have something to disrupt the surface tension. Sudsy ammonia (again, tiny bit) should work also, but ammonia does dissolve some waxes.

I'll completely sidestep the mention that you spent probably well north of 6 figures for an automobile and it did not come with washer fluid :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: X-pilot and Brando
I never have an issue getting the washer fluid without additives. Not sure where where you live. Don’t care for the Idea of car wash and water. Where I live it would freeze. The proper fluid will clean and dry much better than water and soap.

I take the caution in the owners manual to avoid ones like the orange on the left. My Tesla’s get the purple on the right.
22196C32-A7CB-4A22-8E88-311D95779A4F.jpeg

Reactions: StanMI
My 2020 Model X was delivered to me without any windshield wiper fluid. I don't really want to deal with the hassle of going through service, so I was just going to buy some fluid myself. When I read my car manual, it states, "Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash," yet many of the fluids on the market do have these formulas. Does anyone have a recommendation on wiper fluid that is compatible for a Tesla?

Just in case you made same mistake I did, the windshield fluid button has 2 detents: first push is just the wipers, push it past that first push to get fluid out. I thought mine was delivered without fluid too but turned out I didn't push it far enough. ((At least this is true with 2016 X)

What is different? They both have bug cleaning and water repellent on the label. Each of which is prohibited in the manual.
You are right! I had never read all the details on the purple one, while the orange one is name-brand Rain-X and prominently promotes its other purposes. I’ve been using the purple one for 2 years with no adverse issues, tho.

The warning is there because some additives will leave a hazy residue that will obstruct the cameras.
Curious where you got the obstruct cameras info. The owners manual just says:
9FFA4269-2165-4148-BBDF-349343679702.jpeg

I’ve had no problems with streaking, smearing, squeaking or camera operation.