TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield wiper jets

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Reddozen, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Reddozen

Reddozen New Member

My Model S' windshield wiper jets spray right over the car, barely getting any fluid on the windshield itself. Is that factory behavior?

2. bmanke

bmanke Member

I would recommend changing your windshield nozzles to the spray type or "froathers" instead of the jets. As far as I know the spray nozzles are only available in the non-heated version but seeing as you live in Florida this should not be an issue. I switched both of our cars over and am much happier with the performance and spray pattern.

3. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Happens, on all cars. Get Tesla to adjust them for you.

Or if you want to do it yourself, open up a small paperclip and insert it into the nozzle opening and have at it. Warning: you really only need to move them a TINY bit for a big change.

4. Reddozen

Reddozen New Member

Thanks. Local service center had me in and out in 20 minutes.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Tell us more. I really don't like the driver side spray. What did you substitute, pictures of pattern?

6. Blue Millenium

I never thought the windshield wiper jet could be adjusted. That is an awesome tip. Thanks for the post.

7. bmanke

bmanke Member

It's the entire spray nozzle that clips in under the hood. Unclip the old one, clip in the new on and you are on your way. The new style sprays. Really no picture required. It works much, much, much better.

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

So the newer cars have a spray nozzle that makes a fan style spray vs the old ones that are a wimpy stream? Did you get the parts at the service center?

9. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

That's the autobahn package. You need to be going 120 MPH to force the jet spray on to the windshield.

Mike

• Funny x 1
  10. scottm

scottm Active Member

So it's a Tesla nozzle found in newer cars! OK, what's the Tesla part number...?

I have heated nozzle option...but it's probably not going to be missed.. I don't think heated nozzles do much even where I live with lots of freezing. We tend to not use wipers in winter.

11. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Mine are heated but spray in a double stream.

I wish they misted like the range rovers.

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

OK, so it's pretty clear, I have to sacrifice the heat function if I want better spray pattern.

Too bad.

13. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

bmanke - where did you purchase the new spray nozzle? aftermarket part? or from service center? Thank you.

• Informative x 1
  14. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I was told the jets were no longer adjustable for my VIN but the subject of replacing the nozzles themselves never came up.

Since day 1 the top 1/3 of the windshield doesn't get wiped sufficiently. Changing wiper blades to supposedly the Bosch Icons helped for a few days but not so much thereafter.

I've never gone through as much windshield wiper fluid as with this car.

During the last series of road trips, I had to use a spray bottle at pretty much every SC stop as the wipers just could not keep up.

It's one of the growing list of things I'll inspect closely when it comes time to test drive the next Tesla as well as at delivery.

15. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

You guys got wiper fluid in your car? Posh. Mine apparently came empty.