Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers in model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the beginning of the winter rainy season, the wipers would tend to judder a lot. However, as the winter wore on, they stopped doing that. I also stopped using the Ultima rinseless car wash solution on the glass and now use a RainX glass cleaner instead.

Once in a while our car did 5 or 6 furious fast wipes when we first got in the car. It hasn't done that in a while. Auto mode mostly does what I want, but I do manually press the end of the stalk periodically when it's not wiping enough. I think it may have a harder time seeing the drops on the window at night, so it tends to wipe less when it's dark.

The wipers are horrible! Only the passenger side wiper clears the windshield properly, which sucks...because the driver needs the visibility not the passenger.

Also the fluid spray I think only comes from one wiper, it does a crap job of cleaning the windshield.

The autowipers still doesn't wipe quickly enough and the driver side wipe doesn't seem to wipe as effectively as the passenger side. Fluid also comes out unevenly so I have to use a lot to clean the whole windshield. Overall the wiper system is pretty bad.

I saw marked improvements with each update until 2019.12. With 2019.8 I thought they were pretty much perfect, but I’ve seen a definite step back with 2019.12. Now they don’t wipe as often and don’t detect moisture that accumulates slowly.

As for how they wipe, and how the sprayers work, I don’t have any of the problems that others have mentioned here. The drivers side wipes just as well as the passenger side, the spray is evenly distributed from both wipers, and I don’t have to use excessive amounts to get the windshield clean. I would suggest that if you are having those types of problems (ie, mechanical) that you take it to a service center.

As for how they wipe, and how the sprayers work, I don’t have any of the problems that others have mentioned here. The drivers side wipes just as well as the passenger side, the spray is evenly distributed from both wipers, and I don’t have to use excessive amounts to get the windshield clean. I would suggest that if you are having those types of problems (ie, mechanical) that you take it to a service center.

I've had 2 or 3 SC visits and a mobile visit and no real work was ever done. Creaks and sounds came and went but was never reproducible and the wipers they said was normal and all cars require multiple wipes for full coverage. It sometimes takes 4-5 passes before the sides no longer show streaks while my friend's new Volvo has a similar fluid-in-blade system and in two passes the entire area is cleaned. Maybe this is normal and I'm nit picking?