Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip Doug_G. Warming (charging) the battery prior to driving makes a BIG difference in cold weather (with regards to regen and car is less sluggish). I charge overnight in Standard Mode but in the morning switch to Max at only 5A for about 10-20 minutes and that seems to work too.

Was thinking about that photo Francis posted of the condensation on the interior aspect of the pano roof. So, has anyone noticed any difference in the driver side fogging issues in cars that do NOT have the panoramic roof? Not sure if that would make any difference, but was curious.

Thanks for the tip Doug_G. Warming (charging) the battery prior to driving makes a BIG difference in cold weather (with regards to regen and car is less sluggish). I charge overnight in Standard Mode but in the morning switch to Max at only 5A for about 10-20 minutes and that seems to work too.

Yes, if my car is already fully charged I do the same thing. Works like a charm. Hopefully the iPhone app will make this even easier.

Was thinking about that photo Francis posted of the condensation on the interior aspect of the pano roof. So, has anyone noticed any difference in the driver side fogging issues in cars that do NOT have the panoramic roof? Not sure if that would make any difference, but was curious.

I haven't heard anything myself, but I really doubt the Pano has any influence on this. The problem is a simple lack of warm air reaching the surfaces in question. That is easily determined just by sticking your hand in the vicinity.

True. But I was wondering if the differences in insulation had any effect on it. I suppose not.

If anything, it might make it worse because condensation happens due to temperature differential. If we assume that the solid roof keeps the car warmer...

I don't think there will be enough difference to worry about.

From what I've seen, the frosting issue only happens at cold temperatures with high humidity. If it's relatively dry, e.g. a sunny but cold day, then it's not an issue. If you're in a snowstorm at -20C then it's a big nuisance.

For our friends that do not consult the TMC Canada forum, here's some very good news for all winter drivers (the discussion was about winter issues like fogging):

From zax123:
---

"Hey guys,

After a few back and forths with Elon and his brother, Elon finally ended off with "Bottom line is we will make it good". Although he is just one man, he is obviously dedicated to his product. I am now completely reassured that these issues will be worked out and that we will eventually see solutions which satisfy all of us driving Model S in cold climate."

For our friends that do not consult the TMC Canada forum, here's some very good news for all winter drivers (the discussion was about winter issues like fogging):

From zax123:
---

"Hey guys,

After a few back and forths with Elon and his brother, Elon finally ended off with "Bottom line is we will make it good". Although he is just one man, he is obviously dedicated to his product. I am now completely reassured that these issues will be worked out and that we will eventually see solutions which satisfy all of us driving Model S in cold climate."

Most excellent! Ya just gotta love that guy.

Is all this winter driving happening on 21" wheels? I have ordered 19" wheels and winter tires, but I've been wondering what after-market wheels and tires other northern Model S drivers are getting. Any advice to share?
Nearly all the discussion has been about performance on 19" wheels with various tires. The choice of tires is being discussed here: Winter wheels/tires packages for Model S . The TMC Canucks have been chatting about the choice of winter tires/wheels over here: Winter Tires

PAT,
Thanks for the post. Are you running 21 or 19" tires/wheels? How much snow did you have when you had the trouble on the hill or was it icey?

- - - Updated - - -

MNX
I am told the 19" snows on the rear and all weather on the front make a handling difference. Guess TM sells a winter 19" set of tires right? I take it you are not runing snow tires right?

Richard C, Doug_G and others...

Do you find the Pirelli's good for Ontario Winters? I know patp didn't like them, but the roads seem to be snow covered a lot more in Quebec than here in southern Ontario...
I have found that they are fine. I have used similar low profile Performance Winter Snow (Michelin Alpin Pilot) tires on our Priuses for the past six years and have not had any problems. The continuing reduction, due to global warming, in the amount and duration of snow in our area (we are forecast to get temperatures in the mid-teens Celcius this weekend) means that we rarely have to deal with the amounts of snow enjoyed by our friends in Ottawa or Quebec (combined of course with Toronto's well established, in legend if not in fact, practice of calling out the army on the rare occasion that we receive a significant snowfall). :smile:

In my view they are a reasonable compromise for our area.

PAT,
Thanks for the post. Are you running 21 or 19" tires/wheels? How much snow did you have when you had the trouble on the hill or was it icey?

Yes, I had 19" tires/wheels Pirelli's but I replaced them with Nokian's as I was not satisfied (for me they are cold season performance tires - not winter tires). There was maybe 2-3 inches of snow on half of the road.

Last edited:
A very important question mark for me was cleared yesterday, when Can Sig53 was kind enough to come to my home and tried my icy uphill driveway and made sure ground clearance was fine in standard mode. Having heard some of the issues in this thread I needed to see it for myself. Unfortunately, snow had melted a bit and there were asphalt spots covered with sleet. still slippery but not as much as snow imho.

Here are the quick videos I was able to take (my friend was a bit in a hurry...).

Backward

Forward

Last edited by a moderator:
A very important question mark for me was cleared yesterday, when Can Sig53 was kind enough to come to my home and tried my icy uphill driveway and made sure ground clearance was fine in standard mode. Having heard some of the issues in this thread I needed to see it for myself. Unfortunately, snow had melted a bit and there were asphalt spots covered with sleet. still slippery but not as much as snow imho.

Here are the quick videos I was able to take (my friend was a bit in a hurry...).

That driveway looks tough! Makes you wish for one of those fancy heated driveways but glad the Model S can handle it for you.

The videos don' t seem to be loading.

Last edited by a moderator: