Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also notice that you can play with this a bit by letting off the accelerator (but not entirely) when going downhill

I drove a MINI E for a year, and the term we used for that was "feathering" the pedal - that's how i've been doing it on standard regen, and i've a nice 1/2 mile downhill on I-287 that yields a lovely and long green track on my energy graph. But i'm interested to see if i put it on low, if i can actually produce a deeper regen for longer with the added momentum.

I completely agree... except in certain circumstances. I would probably leave it this way for half or 3/4 of the year. It's the winter experiences that concern me. I could be in traffic expecting a lift of the pedal to slow me down and suddenly, due to a cold pack, it's not there and I have to quickly jump on the brake before I hit the guy in front of me. I would also be concerned with too much re-gen braking on the rear wheels in icy conditions. I realize there is traction control, but just yesterday in my ICE (with TC) I had to be very careful lifting off the gas due to extreme black ice on the roads. Using the existing low re-gen option would work, but then you'd lose the benefits of re-gen. Putting it over on the brake at least would get you some.

I just look at the power meter when I head out, so I know where the regen levels are at. It's not a big deal for me.

And yes TC activates on Regen.

I could be in traffic expecting a lift of the pedal to slow me down and suddenly, due to a cold pack, it's not there and I have to quickly jump on the brake before I hit the guy in front of me.

Oofa - not a fun experience that, especially with an extra-heavy EV! With this weather we've been sharing (Arctic temps = Canada's #1 export, lol), the black ice has terrified me because of the weight we all carry - so far i've felt the TC kick in just a few times though and it's handled fine. Down here though we haven't had more than a few inches of snow so far, so glad to get your experiences in preparation.

Last edited:
I drove a MINI E for a year, and the term we used for that was "feathering" the pedal - that's how i've been doing it on standard regen, and i've a nice 1/2 mile downhill on I-287 that yields a lovely and long green track on my energy graph. But i'm interested to see if i put it on low, if i can actually produce a deeper regen for longer with the added momentum.

Yes, exactly! And even if Low produces a shallower green curve, the total area under that curve might be greater than under a deeper (but narrower) Standard curve. And if I remember my calculus, the area under (or in this case, above) the curve should be the total power regenerated.

But i fully appreciate that some folks may just want it to be exactly as an ICE experience, and for them moving the regen to brakes would do that.
I guess it's all in what you're used to. I learned to drive on a manual transmission, and I still can't get used to automatics. I'm not a sporty or power driver by any means, but to me having the regen on the gas pedal is the one which is "exactly like an ICE experience" -- seems "natural" because it's just like the engine brakiing.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my ice-encrusted wheel, just rinsed the salt off. Rotor is pretty darn shiny! ]

That's really nice. I was definitely worried about that because most of the cars I've driven have developed rusty rotors (very gentle braking habits, low driving rate, lots of salt and gunk on the roads). Not worried any more!

but to me having the regen on the gas pedal is the one which is "exactly like an ICE experience" -- seems "natural" because it's just like the engine brakiing.

well, it's like engine braking on massive steroids - if you suddenly and fully take your foot off the accelerator, the regen force reminds me most of the first set of brakes you hit at the end of a roller coaster ride.

But rejoice neroden - you're going to get tons of feathered-regen opportunities on the hills around Ithaca! Maybe i'll swing by on my way to Canandaigua Lake to say hi!

Last edited:
Why the prius can blend regen and braking, and why it is more difficult to do so in a Tesla :

Prius is front-wheel-drive!!!!!!
When regen is applied, it brakes on the front wheels. When it uses brakes, it uses the front wheels too!

The Tesla has both these braking-systems on different axels, making it verry difficult to blend them!

Some interesting cold weather related trivia from today...

My Ranger came to replace a couple of my door handles. Rather than have him freeze his butt, I had him do the work indoors at our office. The car was indoors at room temperature for over five hours. It hasn't been this toasty since the day it was delivered!

Afterwards I backed the car out into -25C weather, hopped out to close the door, and hopped back in to drive away. I was out of the seat maybe 30 seconds. When I restarted the car it was showing a moderate regen limit. There's no way the car got cold that fast!

Sounds like the regen/power limits are not just based on pack temperature, but also on ambient (or something in the HVAC system that couples to ambient). I was thinking there were a few times when I was surprised to see a modest regen limit... this might explain why.

Very interesting observation Doug_G. Wonder why TM would have set the system to use ambient vs internal temp unless the pack thermometer is exposed/close to outside and would read outside temps that it would interpret as pack temp. This is a question for the TM engineers

- - - Updated - - -

"Impressed by the car, but in the snow, this is not its strength".

Better than other RWD like BMW 3i series, same or worse?

This morning the temperature was about 25°F. In my uninsulated garage (which was in the 40/50°F range), I opened the car and turned on climate control (full auto, temp at 70°F). Closed the driver's door just to the first click (climate control and touchscreen stayed on).

I then spent 20 minutes finishing my morning routine, and came back to leave. A few observations:

-My range had dropped 4 miles, even though I was still plugged in.

-After hitting the road (cabin all toasty), my Wh/mi usage was up in the 400-600 range for a while.

This behavior was contrary to what I expected.

First, I didn't expect to see the range loss because I was still plugged in. Shouldn't power from the wall be used for heating up the cabin and battery?

Second, I'm not sure the pack was heated at all. I would've thought that 20 minutes was more than adequate to heat up the pack, and I didn't expect to see the pack warming after I hit the road. Does turning on climate control NOT start heating the pack?

-My range had dropped 4 miles, even though I was still plugged in.
[...]
First, I didn't expect to see the range loss because I was still plugged in. Shouldn't power from the wall be used for heating up the cabin and battery?

No, at least not currently. If I want it to have no impact on range, I'll tell the car to start charging. That'll work (as long as you're not too close to full) reasonably well.

No, at least not currently. If I want it to have no impact on range, I'll tell the car to start charging. That'll work (as long as you're not too close to full) reasonably well.

I hope this improves with a future firmware update. No reason to burn miles when you're still plugged into the wall. Shouldn't be a major change--they just need to initiate charging at a rate required to offset the usage.

-After hitting the road (cabin all toasty), my Wh/mi usage was up in the 400-600 range for a while.

This behavior was contrary to what I expected.

Second, I'm not sure the pack was heated at all. I would've thought that 20 minutes was more than adequate to heat up the pack, and I didn't expect to see the pack warming after I hit the road. Does turning on climate control NOT start heating the pack?

Right, I have some observations on this front. I had previously assumed that the pack heater would be on if the cabin heat was on. I assumed that because the message that pops up telling you the battery is cold says to plug in and to use the smartphone app to pre-warm the car, and when you do that the pack heater would also be turned on. Well, that leads to the idea that if the cabin heat is on so is the pack heater. Not so.

Today I was demonstrating the car at a meeting of the Professional Engineers Ontario, Ottawa Chapter. The practical upshot is I spent a half hour outside at -18C. Brrr!!!! The car had been cold soaked prior to this demo and had no regen.

I left the door open a notch so the heat would stay on, and when I had a chance I would pop inside to warm up. I noticed the car was drawing 5 or 6 kW for the cabin heat, which means the pack heater was NOT on. When the pack heater is on the power draw doubles. Confirming this, when I started up afterwards I still had no regen.

So, it appears that popping the door to turn on the cabin heater does NOT turn on the pack heater. You either have to be charging, or your butt has to be in the seat.

Also I have previously observed that the car NEVER draws any power from the charge cable unless it is actually charging. There is a workaround for this: set Range mode (so it will continue charging even if "full"), and set the current to minimum. You won't accumulate any significant battery charging in half an hour (or even in several hours) but it will heat the pack. Just don't forget to reset it back to normal settings afterwards.

Also I have previously observed that the car NEVER draws any power from the charge cable unless it is actually charging. There is a workaround for this: set Range mode (so it will continue charging even if "full"), and set the current to minimum. You won't accumulate any significant battery charging in half an hour (or even in several hours) but it will heat the pack. Just don't forget to reset it back to normal settings afterwards.

This works? Wow! So it can be done!!!!!

Right, I have some observations on this front. I had previously assumed that the pack heater would be on if the cabin heat was on. I assumed that because the message that pops up telling you the battery is cold says to plug in and to use the smartphone app to pre-warm the car, and when you do that the pack heater would also be turned on. Well, that leads to the idea that if the cabin heat is on so is the pack heater. Not so.

Today I was demonstrating the car at a meeting of the Professional Engineers Ontario, Ottawa Chapter. The practical upshot is I spent a half hour outside at -18C. Brrr!!!! The car had been cold soaked prior to this demo and had no regen.

I left the door open a notch so the heat would stay on, and when I had a chance I would pop inside to warm up. I noticed the car was drawing 5 or 6 kW for the cabin heat, which means the pack heater was NOT on. When the pack heater is on the power draw doubles. Confirming this, when I started up afterwards I still had no regen.

So, it appears that popping the door to turn on the cabin heater does NOT turn on the pack heater. You either have to be charging, or your butt has to be in the seat.

Thanks Doug. I tried that this morning. Went to range mode, set to 5 amps, turned on climate control and began charging. Came back 20 minutes later, and I'd lost 3 miles of range. Guess I didn't set the amperage high enough--whoops! I'll try 20A tomorrow.

I believe this worked. Although I did have higher than normal initial usage, it dropped back to normal much quicker. And, after all, it was 19 degF when I pulled out of the garage this morning, so it's not exactly toasty outside.

Most importantly, this will be forgotten when the app comes out next week. Right Tesla? Next week, right? This app seems like it's been delayed forever!

Well this is interesting, because I used your door-open-a-click method last weekend before my long trip, and I never received the "Battery pack is warming, power will increase as you continue to drive error". Yet my initial "Rated Range" dropoff in the first 10-20 miles of my trip (on back roads) was very high...my buffer just disappeared entirely. Maybe it was heating the pack, but I was above some threshold where the message displays. It had heated the pack just 2-3 hours before, after being cold soaked at 17F for 2-3 hours prior to that...so perhaps residual heat was in the pack, but it "topped off" the pack once I got underway, but never let me know via the message. I did have limited regen initially, IIRC.

Well this is interesting, because I used your door-open-a-click method last weekend before my long trip, and I never received the "Battery pack is warming, power will increase as you continue to drive error". Yet my initial "Rated Range" dropoff in the first 10-20 miles of my trip (on back roads) was very high...my buffer just disappeared entirely. Maybe it was heating the pack, but I was above some threshold where the message displays. It had heated the pack just 2-3 hours before, after being cold soaked at 17F for 2-3 hours prior to that...so perhaps residual heat was in the pack, but it "topped off" the pack once I got underway, but never let me know via the message. I did have limited regen initially, IIRC.

17F isn't that cold, so I doubt it was running the pack heater full blast. From observation I don't believe it pops the message unless it's on full power. The batteries are also less efficient when they are cold, so that could have some impact.

Here's how to really find out what the pack heater is doing. Drive for a minute or so, because it doesn't seem to turn on as soon as you start the car. Pull over and stop, but leave it in Drive so it doesn't think you're shutting down, and turn off the cabin heat (use the master switch at bottom center of the touchscreen). Now look at the power draw meter on the speedometer. If the pack heater is on full you'll see a fair bit of orange - something like 5 or 6 kW. If it's not on at all you'll just see a sliver of orange.

Full pack heat plus strong cabin heat comes in somewhere around 10-12 kW. (It's hard to tell exactly as it's a logarithmic display and the tics are hard to see.)

I have not tested this out yet, but plan to do so this weekend. Low regen obviously gives less regen than Standard, but still gives (what appears to be) way more regen than I was getting downhill with cruise control set. Plus it would slow you down much less than Standard, effectively letting you coast downhill. I also notice that you can play with this a bit by letting off the accelerator (but not entirely) when going downhill, even with Standard on. I think it will just take some practice to see what works best. I'll try to post some numbers for how much regen I see in various scenarios on the same hill.
If you're trying to maximize range, you do not want as much regen as possible:

1. Mechanical brakes are super evil - avoid completely whenever possible. Regard them purely as an emergency safety mechanism.
2. Regen is evil - you waste energy by using the motor to build speed, and you again waste energy by using the motor to reduce it. Electrical losses are somewhere around 15 to 30 %. But in addition to this, tire resistance increases dramatically when you accelerate or decelerate, because the rubber slides against the road surface, and it deforms much more too. I don't know how much this is, but I think it would be hard in practice to regenerate more than half the energy you spent, considering rolling resistance and electrical losses both ways (out of and then back into the battery).
3. If you have to brake, use regen, but do it early so you can regenerate at as low power as possible.
4. Using more power (in the physics sense, measured in watts) than necessary is bad. This is because both electrical losses and rolling resistance increase dramatically with increasing power. So to conserve energy, you want to accelerate and decelerate relatively slowly and maintain an even power consumption. Note that this is very different from maintaining an even speed. Accelerate and decelerate as though you were transporting your daughter's wedding cake unprotected in the passenger seat.

In hilly terrain, imagine that you're a rollercoaster. This is the ideal, a rollercoaster does not waste any power maintaining speed uphill, and then regenerating (or - heaven forbid - braking) downhill. Even if you avoid regenerating downhill, you will waste energy unless you simply coast over the top. On a public road, this is obviously unachievable, but it helps to know what the ideal is.

So if you're approaching a smallish hill and there's no one behind you, try to estimate early on how much power you have to apply to clear the top at your minimum acceptable speed. Then feather the accelerator so that gravity decelerates you at the rate that will let you reach the top at that speed. Then you either coast back up to speed down the other side or just keep applying the same power as during the climb to accelerate back up to cruising speed if the road is level. This minimizes the power and therefore the losses.

Turning also increases rolling resistance, so it helps to drive the racing line as much as safely possible. It's better to take the corner at higher speed if that can be done safely rather than regenerating first and then accelerating again. Hoard your kinetic energy.

Now don't take this too far, or other drivers will get seriously annoyed. Just knowing how it works helps, there is usually some wiggle room.

There are also some tradeoffs that complicate the picture if you really try hard to conserve energy. For example, accelerating a bit before you enter an uphill will get you to the top in a shorter time and reduce the required power, but this will also increase air resistance. It's hard to say where the optimum is without detailed and unobtainable data.

I don't often drive like this, but I can squeeze out quite a bit more range than usual if I have to without being (too much of a) nuisance to other drivers.

Last edited:
If you're trying to maximize range, you do not want as much regen as possible:

1. Mechanical brakes are super evil - avoid completely whenever possible. Regard them purely as an emergency safety mechanism.
2. Regen is evil - you waste energy by using the motor to build speed, and you again waste energy by using the motor to reduce it. Electrical losses are somewhere around 15 to 30 %. But in addition to this, tire resistance increases dramatically when you accelerate or decelerate, because the rubber slides against the road surface, and it deforms much more too. I don't know how much this is, but I think it would be hard in practice to regenerate more than half the energy you spent, considering rolling resistance and electrical losses both ways (out of and then back into the battery).
4. If you have to brake, use regen, but do it early so you can regenerate at as low power as possible.
3. Using more power (in the physics sense, measured in watts) than necessary is bad. This is because both electrical losses and rolling resistance increases dramatically with increasing power. So to conserve energy, you want to accelerate and decelerate relatively slowly and maintain an even power consumption. Note that this is very different from maintaining an even speed.

All of this is very correct, I believe. Just one thing to add that I've been thinking about, perhaps relevant seeing as this is a thread about winter driving: with the currently reported behaviour of the Model S in low temperatures imagine driving a certain distance either as efficiently and carefully as you can and ening up with say 250 W/mile or driving a bit faster and caring less about being efficient and instead doing it at 350 W/mile. Now, imagine that it's quite abit below freezing. Some people have reportef that during efficient (<300 W/mile) driving at highway speeds it seems the pack gets cold and the car turns on battery heating in order to maintain battery function and performance. So say you're doing all you can to be efficient, but you are in a way penalized for being to efficient by battery heating turning om, thereby consuming i total MORE energy for the driven distance than if you were driving more leniently?