Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Buena Vista Charging-sm.jpg
    Buena Vista Charging-sm.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 450
I'm not sure if anyone else has responded to this yet, but traction wrt Regen is not a problem at all. The roads are very snowy/icy here at the moment and I can lift off the accelerator fully at any speed and the regen modulates itself perfectly without the rear wheels sliding. Frequently I couldn't get over 15kW of regen (with a fully warmed pack that could do 60kW on dry pavement) on snowy roads. It's a really fantastic system!

The problem with high regen in winter driving is emergency reactions. The reaction is always to yank your foot off the accelerator and/or stab the brakes, putting you into a rear skid.

If you are used to driving a manual it could happen there too but experienced manual drivers stab the clutch at the same time to prevent this from happening. You don't have that option with the Model S unless you can get good at doing a half click of the drive lever to pop it into neutral, which likely would be difficult because you would probably be giving steering input too.

I'm not sure if anyone else has responded to this yet, but traction wrt Regen is not a problem at all. The roads are very snowy/icy here at the moment and I can lift off the accelerator fully at any speed and the regen modulates itself perfectly without the rear wheels sliding. Frequently I couldn't get over 15kW of regen (with a fully warmed pack that could do 60kW on dry pavement) on snowy roads. It's a really fantastic system!

I finally got a chance to test it this am. Full regen in a turn on ice and the car handled great. Regen was reduced and the stability control stopped the skid really fast.

Agreed; you might get a bit of tail wiggle but it is actually self-stabilizing. However I feather the regen - I love the level of control it gives you. Actually much of the time I don't have enough regen to get wiggle anyway!

I like the control and also the feedback. I was travelling along the highway after our snow storm. The roads were centre bare, and when I reduced speed under a bridge the regen didn't kick in and the tail end gave a little wiggle signalling ice (as in frozen water not the other ICE). From then on I could see the ice under every bridge and was prepared.

+1 mnx !!

Reminders re winter driving: Slow down *before* the curves. Forget all the bad habits of summer driving.

REGEN is not the culprit here; it is just as useful on snow as on dry pavement.

SNOW TIRES required . . . SNOW TIRES required . .
--

Just had my first true "cold soak" winter drive last night.

The car was parked at work unplugged for 15 hours in -20C temps. When I finally was ready to go home, I pre-heated the car for about 15 minutes (I was rather tired, and did not want to wait too long). The interior temp was -18C according to the phone app when I turned on the HVAC, and had increased to +7C when I walked to the car.

For most of my commute, the regen was completely disabled (with warning message on the instrument screen). That was a first for me. I was surprised at how well the car coasts, and how much I have gotten used to not using my friction brakes very often... Acceleration power was initially limited, but this was a complete non-issue for city winter driving. The battery heater used 10kWh for my entire drive, and the driver was kept nice and toasty.

The only thing I noted as different was steering, which felt a bit "stiffer".

Overall, a very pleasant experience. I just wish I could plug in at work...

Made the drive to Boston this morning, 170 miles over rolling terrain. Temperature ranged from 8 deg F at departure to 1 deg F at coldest point and back to 10 deg F at arrival. Range charge ended 20 minutes before my departure in a ~40 deg F garage with 252 rated miles.

Averaged 70mph for the first 150 miles then stop and go most of the rest of the way into Boston. Cabin heat was 66 deg F with liberal use of cool defroster to clear windshield. Calm winds the whole way. On arrival had 28 miles rated remaining. So, 224 rated to go 170 miles. I didn't take a snapshot of the dash but it was about 380 Wh/mi for the first 150 miles; don't remember what it was at the end of the trip after the slow down.

This specific use case is why I bought the 85kWh battery, plus the added benefit or road tripping flexibility. I make this drive about a dozen times each year and often as a day trip. Would be painfully slow, and subject to weather disruption, in a 60kWh.

Hi, @jkirkebo,

Thank you for your pointers to the RUD matic tire chains. I have been looking all over the website trying to understand my options. The first thing I notice is that, from the US, I can see two different RUD websites. One of them is in English. The other, pointed to from your link below re RUD matic Disc, is in German. Alas, as a native American, I am not allowed to be fluent in any languages whatsoever. Including English. So I'm having some trouble with the RUD matic Disc page.

Having said that, even on the English website, I am confused by all the options. Classic, hybrid, compact, soft, spikes, etc. And no Disc option!

You seem to emphasize purchasing the Disc version rather than, say, the Classic version. Is there a strong reason to purchase the Disc version?

And, if not the Disc version, do you have any advice about Classic versus all the other options? The website doesn't make it easy to compare the advantages/disadvantages of the various flavors.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

Alan

P.S. For what it's worth, I have never before used chains. I'm getting around Boston/New England just fine so far on a P85+ paired with 19" Rials & Nokiian Hakka R2s. I'm thinking that having chains is a good insurance policy.

1. Not the classic, it's the RUD-matic Disc.
RUD matic Disc 4716660 Sonderkette BMW

2. Just once for now, to test them.

3. None at all.

4. Very good, as expected. I had these on my previous car too.

5. I use about 3-4 minutes to put them on, and a minute to after-tighten after a few hundred meters of driving.

Hi, @jkirkebo,

Thank you for your pointers to the RUD matic tire chains. I have been looking all over the website trying to understand my options. The first thing I notice is that, from the US, I can see two different RUD websites. One of them is in English. The other, pointed to from your link below re RUD matic Disc, is in German. Alas, as a native American, I am not allowed to be fluent in any languages whatsoever. Including English. So I'm having some trouble with the RUD matic Disc page.

Having said that, even on the English website, I am confused by all the options. Classic, hybrid, compact, soft, spikes, etc. And no Disc option!

Yeah, it's all a bit confusing. The Disc version seems to be available only in a few select sizes and is not mentioned on the main website. I think Google translate can help with the language problem? ;)

You seem to emphasize purchasing the Disc version rather than, say, the Classic version. Is there a strong reason to purchase the Disc version?

I wanted to protect my rims from chain rubbing. The disc is designed to do that, so only the plastic disc touches the rim. Possibly this is more of an issue for cars with wide rims and narrow tires? I do however not see any drawbacks in the disc version, it should be easier to put on too.

And, if not the Disc version, do you have any advice about Classic versus all the other options? The website doesn't make it easy to compare the advantages/disadvantages of the various flavors.

I can't say much about the other types as I have ever only used the disc version. One thing to be concerned aboutis clearance, the disc version I linked to is specifically made for cars with little clearance, and personally tested on the MS by me. So we know that one works without issues. I'm not so sure about the classic.

Fogging isn't much of an issue with the improved vents. At -15C I find the standard Auto settings keep the windshield and side windows clear. At -20C the side windows start to fog lightly but the low Defog setting clears them. Between the vent upgrade and the firmware improvements to the HVAC controls it is working really well this winter.

I've been wishing I had the heated wipers this weekend, though. They keep getting embedded in ice a couple of inches thick. Yes, we're having some pretty bad weather! (Better than Toronto, though, which got it all as freezing rain and is having massive power outages as a result.)