Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - when do you install your winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be surprised by how low they are.
Sensor says 2.8 bars which is 41 psi. I think 3.1/45 is recommended level. These are Michelin 245/45R19s.

Why bars used for tire pressure rather than kiloPascals (1 bar = 100,000 kPa)? I know that bar approximates atmospheric pressure, but it is kind of getting away from the Metric system.

Do you wait until December? Late November?
Location is Greater Toronto Area.

Wow that's late. I have to have mine on by Oct 1 for our mountain passes, at least according to the signs out here. It's not uncommon to have snow on the mountain passes in October. I want through a blizzard on the Coquihalla connector in mid-Oct last year and I was sure glad I had my x-ice tires on.

winter-tires.jpg

Wow that's late. I have to have mine on by Oct 1 for our mountain passes, at least according to the signs out here. It's not uncommon to have snow on the mountain passes in October. I want through a blizzard on the Coquihalla connector in mid-Oct last year and I was sure glad I had my x-ice tires on.
Not a lot of mountain passes within 1000km or so of Toronto. We were at 20C as late as Oct 22 this year and we just saw freezing temps and snow a couple of days ago and that was unusually early.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
The Coquihalla summit is 1,244 m or over 4,000 feet and Sunday Summit on the Crow's Nest (#3) is el. 1,284 m or 4,213 ft. They're basically off limits for my Tesla this time of year. Even if I had AWD the rocks thrown by the semi's make me cringe in my nearly 10 year old Tahoe hybrid that's full of rock chips. I got the snow tires for my Tesla for the shoulder seasons and that's over now. Here's just last week when I went from my cabin in Tulameen to Kamloops on Coalmont Road to join the Coq. connector:

CoalmontRoad.jpg

There's no cell phone coverage and as you can see the temperature reads -22 C and it got down to -25. But that's unusually cold for this time of year and it has since warmed up above zero. The Tahoe got so full of mud, salt and rocks that they plaster the highways with -- but much needed since otherwise there'd be no traction. Then there's the semi's and others that throw up the rocks used on the roads like shrapnel. Every year it seems the road crews use bigger gravel. You need a lot of washer fluid to keep the windshields clear -- front and back. I've replaced the windshield on my Tahoe twice now and lived with a lot of chips between changes. I've got two small chips injected in my Tesla that I got during the shoulder seasons.

personally I put my winters on when I hear the tires start to sort of crunch at low speed turns. Or basically whenever it gets down below 5 degrees celsius.

That was mid november this year. Brilliant fall in Ontario. I just traded my car in and drove home friday on 21" Michelin PSS on turbines and was fingers crossed the whole way for no snow. It was plenty cold but they did ok. Switched to 19" classic wheels with Pirelli Sottozeros this afternoon and am all set for the first snowstorm, tomorrow/tuesday.

Winter tires and all weather tires will wear faster in dry and warm conditions. The winter rubber compound is quite soft compared to all seasons and summer tires.

I like to change over from summer to winters tires around November and back to summer tires in March/April. I’m fortunate enough to own several sets of tires/wheels and I’m still on my wet weather setup with Pirelli Sottozeroes on both Teslas. The Nokians (R2’s and studded Hakka 9’s) are going on soon when we plan to go to Whistler and to the Interior of BC in the upcoming weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Winter tires and all weather tires will wear faster in dry and warm conditions. The winter rubber compound is quite soft compared to all seasons and summer tires.
The wear difference is minimal. What are we talking about 20% less tire life at most? Assuming 1500/set that's 300 bucks every 3-4 years.

Considering the labour and time/energy cost of swapping wheels every 6 months I doubt it's any different financially.

I swap out my own wheel sets so it costs me about 30mins of time. I’ve chewed up a set of Blizzaks with blocks of tread missing on highway speeds going into spring thinking it wasn’t a big deal...now I swap out my Nokans when I know it warms up and conditions get dry. I guess 120-130 km/h highway speeds don’t help either.

Also, it’s not a choice to run all seasons all year long in Quebec or if you travel the Sea to Sky or BC highways north and east of Hope BC. Snow rated or M+S tires are required by law between Oct and April in these areas.

Last edited:
Northern Cali is warm, but Palm Desert is smoking hot. I thought my Conti tires were going to melt. The hottest surface temp was 63 degrees C when I was driving, but I got a pic at the Indio Supercharger saying it was 59 degrees C that day.

Braking distance would suck with winter tires in the summer as well and vice versa with summers or all seasons in winter conditions.

Attachments

• 0678C070-50C5-43D1-8097-81FBE8D8BAD5.jpeg
    0678C070-50C5-43D1-8097-81FBE8D8BAD5.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: