Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - when do you install your winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Run all weather tires and you don’t need to worry about changing them over every 6 months ;)
Even in the lower mainland and Victoria, you need snow tires.
All it takes is the one snow storm a year to ruin your day.
All season tires should be banned everywhere here as they are really “No Season” tires.
You just don’t have the stopping capabilities with these tires compared to the winter ones.
Everyone, no matter what part of Canada you live in, should have Winter tires. Anyone who doesn’t, is only fooling him/herself!
Insurance companies also offer discounts wth snow tire use.
Why risk it?

I do mine when snow is forecast or when I'm traveling to an area where there is snow. However, I switch them myself and have a second set of wheels and tires to avoid dependence upon a tire shop.

Since I despise putting away wheels for a long time with brake dust on them, I make sure to swap the wheels out when the weather is decent so I can clean them. Which usually means taking a look at a 14 day forecast.
I did the swap this past Sunday to all my vehicles. Took advantage of the nice 22C weather to get them all cleaned up and put away till next season.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
mid to late November or when the daily temps start to get around 7C, whichever comes first

Also, several people have mentioned “all-weather” tires and received “disagrees” - it’s important to note those are very different beasts than “all-season” (aka “no-season”) tires. These seem to be often confused as same.

All-weather tires (like Nokia’s WRG3) are actually winter-rated tires w/ mountain/snowflake logo that you can use year round without worry they’re going to melt away in the summer. They are much better in snow and cold temps than all-seasons, though true winter tires will still be better. But all-weathers may be suitable compromise for some people (and again, much better than all-seasons) I heard that BC Hydro and Telus use WRG3 tires year-round on all their fleet vehicles in BC

AFAIK other than the Nokian WRG3, the only other all-weather tires are the Hankook Optimo 4S but last time I looked they didn’t come in a size that fits the Model S.

While I have a 2nd set of wheels with Hakkepelitta R2 winter tires for my MS, on my wife’s ICE we have WRG3 year-round and they are significantly better in winter than the all-seasons that originally came with the car

mid to late November or when the daily temps start to get around 7C, whichever comes first

Also, several people have mentioned “all-weather” tires and received “disagrees” - it’s important to note those are very different beasts than “all-season” (aka “no-season”) tires. These seem to be often confused as same.

All-weather tires (like Nokia’s WRG3) are actually winter-rated tires w/ mountain/snowflake logo that you can use year round without worry they’re going to melt away in the summer. They are much better in snow and cold temps than all-seasons, though true winter tires will still be better. But all-weathers may be suitable compromise for some people (and again, much better than all-seasons) I heard that BC Hydro and Telus use WRG3 tires year-round on all their fleet vehicles in BC

AFAIK other than the Nokian WRG3, the only other all-weather tires are the Hankook Optimo 4S but last time I looked they didn’t come in a size that fits the Model S.

While I have a 2nd set of wheels with Hakkepelitta R2 winter tires for my MS, on my wife’s ICE we have WRG3 year-round and they are significantly better in winter than the all-seasons that originally came with the car
This is true. I drove on winter trips to Timmins, Hearst and Chapleau with Nokian WR2 (WRG3's predecessor) and they were fine to the point where once when driving to Chapleau I had to turn around and head back to Timmins not because I was lacking traction on the unplowed road, but because snow was going over the hood and on the windshield, effectively bringing visibility to 0 and packing up the radiator grille.

That being said, I've got a set of studded Hakka 9 on order and should be installed late Nov to early Dec, weather premitting.

Let the fun times begin. :D

This is true. I drove on winter trips to Timmins, Hearst and Chapleau with Nokian WR2 (WRG3's predecessor) and they were fine to the point where once when driving to Chapleau I had to turn around and head back to Timmins not because I was lacking traction on the unplowed road, but because snow was going over the hood and on the windshield, effectively bringing visibility to 0 and packing up the radiator grille.

That being said, I've got a set of studded Hakka 9 on order and should be installed late Nov to early Dec, weather premitting.

Let the fun times begin. :D

I already got sets of studded Hakka 9’s for my S and X. I’m not risking either of my cars in freezing rain or black ice this year. Can’t wait to try out the 9’s on the Coquihalla, the Sea to Sky highway, and up to Mt. Baker this winter.

Even in the lower mainland and Victoria, you need snow tires.
All it takes is the one snow storm a year to ruin your day.
All season tires should be banned everywhere here as they are really “No Season” tires.
You just don’t have the stopping capabilities with these tires compared to the winter ones.
Everyone, no matter what part of Canada you live in, should have Winter tires. Anyone who doesn’t, is only fooling him/herself!
Insurance companies also offer discounts wth snow tire use.
Why risk it?

Agree, I said all weather not all season ;)

Yeah all weather tires are a better compromise... except I would expect they would wear out fairly quickly on a Model S. It's bad enough with the summer tires...

I have 30K on a set of WRG3 and I've been surprised how well they are lasting. There is still plenty of "meat" on them. I don't drive aggressively but I don't baby the car either.