Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lights still work and can still be seen so can't grumble!
Well, you can... But the misted (back) lights do seem to come and go so I assume this is designed in, rather than trying to make them water tight. On my last 2 cars as they got older this happened to them but there was nothing short of baking them in the oven to melt glue and open them up that you could do about it. This way seems better.

sorry for veering rapidly off topic btw.

Well, you can... But the misted (back) lights do seem to come and go so I assume this is designed in, rather than trying to make them water tight. On my last 2 cars as they got older this happened to them but there was nothing short of baking them in the oven to melt glue and open them up that you could do about it. This way seems better.

sorry for veering rapidly off topic btw.

yes I have had a detailed explanation about the lights which I presume is given to anyone that complains about them.

Apparently all lights get condensation in most cars but it is easier to see because of the clear lenses that Tesla use

yes I have had a detailed explanation about the lights which I presume is given to anyone that complains about them.

Apparently all lights get condensation in most cars but it is easier to see because of the clear lenses that Tesla use

Had same spiel about the blindspot detector cams. The B pillar cams do fog up, but it all depends on how quick they resolve - blah blah within tolerance.

Stumbled across this whilst searching for something else. Tesla Model 3 Winter Fixes Video: Frozen Door Handle & Charge Port Latch

Not sure if charge port latch issue can be fixed same way for CCS nor if frozen door handle fix will help SWMBO much in dark cold car park, so still looking for a better solution to the cursed frozen door handles before winter comes in hard.

But it may help someone even if it is to raise awareness ahead of what may happen.

Reactions: CMc1
first really cold snap of season and door handles frozen shut. Took a lot of pressing to open. Tried two, both the same.

Can you remotely open a door?
This has been a problem for me quite a bit. The cold weather made it near impossible to open the car. Worse yet, once I got the door open, the hinge that open/closes the door was stuck in the open position, so the door wouldn't close, just stuck open. Had to wait for it to thaw a bit before driving.

We used to use an ice preventative gel on aircraft door and hatch latches and pins to prevent them freezing up and jamming. I think it may have been some sort of silicone gel in a spray can, came with a nozzle like a can of WD40 (don't be tempted to use dWD40, makes things worse). I remember borrowing a can of the stuff from work and using it on the door locks of the car I had years ago, when we were living in Scotland. Seemed to work well at preventing them freezing up. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find what the stuff was called and if it can still be bought, as a squirt of that around the door handle pivot would probably do the trick. I also found that rubbing a very light smear of clear silicone grease around the door seals tended to prevent them getting frozen to the door, probably works by repelling moisture more than anything else. It needs re-doing two or three times through winter, and the coat of grease only needs to be very thin (smear it on with a finger then wipe most of it off with a cloth).

Was it Irn Bru?

Moderator comment - following posts merged from 'Model 3 - Frozen door handles'

It was -4 this morning and there was a hard frost.

The door handles were frozen solid. It took 5 minutes or so to defrost them all. The kids were late so I wasn't in the good books.

Has anyone got any proven tips for stopping them freezing up?

Luke

Last edited by a moderator: