Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Shoes [tyres]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may assist some but note it is for tyres (not rims - see quote) and "only applies to cars used for personal use that are insured under a private or personal use car insurance policy." So may be different rules for business car insurance.

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...-driving---the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf

As can be seen, often motor insurers will not charge an additional premium when their insured customers use winter tyres, provided that they meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition.

This may assist some but note it is for tyres (not rims - see quote) and "only applies to cars used for personal use that are insured under a private or personal use car insurance policy." So may be different rules for business car insurance.

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...-driving---the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf
I am with LV and called to check before making the investment in wheels and tyres. Was told a change of wheels was fine if done as part of putting on winter tyres. I made clear these were not manufacturer wheels. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and said it really makes no difference. I am always nervous about these things so welcome hearing anyone else’s experience with LV to this question. I also went with the Pirelli Sottozero 3 in the same size as what Tesla supply with their 18” winter wheel package. It wouldn’t necessarily have been my first choice of tyre but figured safest to go with what Tesla supply.

Reactions: MrBadger
I am insured with LV and when I informed them I was changing to winter wheels, they stated that they only needed to know if I was changing to wider wheels. LV were ok about me switching to 18" winter wheels but with the same 235 width. I am happier having spoken to them to make sure as we have had trouble with a previous insurer when fitting winter wheels to a BMW X5 - they didn't understand about the safety aspect and just wanted to charge more for a "modification".

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
I don’t buy the 7 degree argument for cross over temperature as the difference is fairly marginal down to 0 degrees

I think that argument relates to how the rubber performs. As it gets colder so the Winter Tyre rubber comes into its best operating temperature - and the Summer tyres leaves it. Ditto increased wear and poorer stopping distance using Winters above, say, 10C

I've used Winters on all our cars for a decade or so. We live in Rural location - so side roads may not be gritted. Stopping distance on cold, wet, tarmac is very reassuring in winter on winter boots

I'm in East Anglia, so relatively South. We don't get much in the way of snow, and rarely for prolonged periods, but when we do the Winter Boots make the difference between getting home and not, and of course the difference between hitting something and not! Also helps with the occasional bit of black ice on rural roads around here

Reactions: KennethS
I bought a set of these Large tyre protective bags covers XL SIZE 16''-22'' 285mm set of 4 spare wheels | eBay to store my off season wheels in. Very pleased after trying one and reasonably priced too. You will need the XL ones as the smaller ones do not cover the required circumference. Not quite sure on how the pull chords tie off yet - rather a lot of spare chord.

The same ones I was eyeing up. Also available on Amazon Prime for the same price. I assume it is not recommended to stack these on top of each other? or will it be fine for 3/4 months?

I think I’m going for these rims: Tesla Model 3 18

In Space Gray and order tyres from Costco. Will reach out to TSportline to see how long it will take to order from the US. Found a dealer in NL but the the price was almost double!

Anyone wanting to know how to store off season tyres may find this useful.

Tyre storage: How to properly store tyres- TyreLeader.co.uk

No issue with storing on side inside the bags I would think.

Although I am trying to find a vertical storage trolley like this https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637202044/wheel-storage-trolley-100kg-capacity-with-handle (cheaper elsewhere) but the ones that I have seen do not cater for 245mm wide tyres (235/45 r18 tyres as installed and inflated). They normally max out at 235mm although adverts normally just say 225mm buy Sealey measured actual distances for me - great customer service.

However with the bags, for first season, I'll probably just store them on the pallet they came on but not quite as easy to manhandle.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Tatoo1
The other thing that hasn’t been discussed (apologies if side tracking slightly) but for those who have some finance say with Blackhorse, would they have to inform them about the winter wheels (would it count as a modification) ?

I bought a set of these Large tyre protective bags covers XL SIZE 16''-22'' 285mm set of 4 spare wheels | eBay to store my off season wheels in. Very pleased after trying one and reasonably priced too. You will need the XL ones as the smaller ones do not cover the required circumference. Not quite sure on how the pull chords tie off yet - rather a lot of spare chord.
That’s very helpful and good to hear. I just received today a set of the same ones that I bought from Amazon after spending far too long looking at the various options and sizes. I haven’t tried them yet but they seem well made.

18” winter setup is on, 20” summer wheels and tyres safely stored in protective bags in garage. I am not hoping for a harsh winter but feel safe knowing the M3P is ready.

Attachments

• E847879C-7855-4108-B1B9-C2E749EA38C6.jpeg
    E847879C-7855-4108-B1B9-C2E749EA38C6.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Tatoo1
Well our winter set arrived from Tesla. Like for like 18" to keep insurance simple and give us an emergency spare.

They all came complete and balanced. Bit of an awkward consignment though. We were expecting two consignments, but on delivery found wheels were in one and extra set of key cards were the other! So some quick unpacking needed.

However, spot the mistake... :( Everything with this car seems to be a challenge...

View attachment 468409 View attachment 468410 View attachment 468411

Just need to find someone to fit them, or go checking my old jack and torque wrench is still up to the task. Jack pads hopefully arriving this week.

Who did you contact at Tesla UK to get prices please? The online store doesn’t want to recognise the UK!

thanks, Tony

All of Tesla online accessory ordering is done by emailing [email protected]

You say what you want, they give you the prices. If it is not obvious, do query any delivery charges. Do not assume that no mention means no cost. When you then get back to them with an order, they will call you back pretty promptly to take payment.

There was officially 2-3 weeks lead time for the wheels as they came from Tilburg warehouse. In reality, they came much quicker.

Reactions: Tonybvi
18” winter setup is on, 20” summer wheels and tyres safely stored in protective bags in garage. I am not hoping for a harsh winter but feel safe knowing the M3P is ready.

Is it not a bit early? I heard that winter tyres wear quite quickly at warmer temperatures - 10C? Looking at 2 week forecast, I'm going to hold off until at least next weekend, if not beyond.

Learning curve though with the balancing act due to daily and intraday temperature fluctuations.

Last edited:
The other thing that hasn’t been discussed (apologies if side tracking slightly) but for those who have some finance say with Blackhorse, would they have to inform them about the winter wheels (would it count as a modification) ?

I would not have thought so. As long as you had some way of giving back the original set (including in the event of an accident), wheels are totally reversible. Even works in their favor as you are reducing wear on their car. Insurance companies seem to have their own criteria though.

Reactions: Tatoo1
Is it not a bit early? I heard that winter tyres wear quite quickly at warmer temperatures - 10C? Looking at 2 week forecast, I'm going to hold off until at least next weekend, if not beyond.

Learning curve though with the balancing act due to daily and intraday temperature fluctuations.
You are absolutely correct and ideally I would have waited until closer to December. However, I ordered the tyres from a local place as opposed to drop shipment via online retailer. The tyres arrived early this week and, while the local installer was happy to wait on me, I felt it only fair to get them installed and pay them now. Going forward I will probably do the swap myself, but needed to have the tyres mounted and balanced on the new wheels, so having them do the swap onto the car seemed the lazy but preferred option.

Try living up here!!! -3deg C this morning, so far 4 mornings on the trot of frost and gritters past our house every night since last week. When we drove up from Edinburgh with the new car last Saturday there was a fair smattering of snow on the mountains. We live beside the infamous Cairn o’Mount Road which frequently gets closed in the winter and we use this road whenever we head south if open. So the sooner I get my winter shoes the better!! On previous cars I always changed over the wheels when the clocks changed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Are these the VD25X Varro wheels from the Facebook group buy? If so can I ask how much including the TPMS?
See post 29 above for pricing. I did not participate in the group buy on FB but did get them from the same guy, Gavin. I can direct message you with his email if you want (he gave me permission to pass on his contact details, but don’t want to violate forum rules by posting here).