Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Shoes [tyres]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this year out change of shoes didn't go according to plan.

Instead of the new set being detected within a mile, it was still looking after 3 miles. During the stop, I tried to help it to find the new set by forcing an unnecessary wheel configuration change. This resulted in a couple of MCU reboots which I don't think is meant to happen. It eventually notified that TPMS reset performed, but still no pressures. The car is now reporting a TPMS system fault UI_a017 which won't clear even after a reboot. Hopefully it will clear itself next drive or overnight.

This is 3rd year of this Tesla supplied set. No issues on any of the twice yearly tyre wheel swaps. Everything automatically picked up after a couple of minutes driving with nothing needed to be done.

1636219653943.png
1636219997324.png

Last edited:

Instead of the new set being detected within a mile, it was still looking after 3 miles. During the stop, I tried to help it to find the new set by forcing an unnecessary wheel configuration change. This resulted in a couple of MCU reboots which I don't think is meant to happen. It eventually notified that TPMS reset performed, but still no pressures. The car is now reporting a TPMS system fault UI_a017 which won't clear even after a reboot. Hopefully it will clear itself next drive or overnight.

This is 3rd year of this Tesla supplied set. No issues on any of the twice yearly tyre wheel swaps. Everything automatically picked up after a couple of minutes driving with nothing needed to be done.

View attachment 730016 View attachment 730018
I had the exact same problem this year. The problem did resolve itself. I didn’t do anything particularly clever but after the car was parked for several hours and we went back out it sorted itself out. Fingers crossed yours does the same!

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger

I had the exact same problem this year. The problem did resolve itself. I didn’t do anything particularly clever but after the car was parked for several hours and we went back out it sorted itself out. Fingers crossed yours does the same!

I went out to the car yesterday and still being reported. I didn't bother to drive. Had to use the car this morning, still reporting the issue. Sigh...

But around a mile after started driving, I had a message to say that wheel change had been detected, then one wheel pressure appeared, followed by the final three. Just how it should be. Yay. I'll keep the service request open (its got something else on there) but mention that fault seems to have cleared. Gives remote diagnostics a chance to look if they haven't done do already.

Apart from the fault clearing, its nice to have the pressures back. You soon get use the the reassurance that all pressures are good in the tyre dept, especially after a tyre change, pressure adjustment or big temperature change. They probably could so with a slight top up in a few weeks as each was indicating 1 psi below what I set them too during fitting when it was 6+C warmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6 and KennethS

Thankfully, no repeat of the shenanigans from last time. All went according to plan although a few hundred yards longer for the wheel swap to be detected than previous occasions so a little apprehensive. Enough for me to head (unnecessarily as it happened) on a small dog leg.

The swap was nice and quick this time too. A nice slick operation from the pit crew (alas not quite 2.5 seconds...) and I had reverted back to a good old mechanical torque wrench which was far quicker than having to have silence to listen out for the subtle beep or fluctuating display from my digital ones that I had previously bought or the job - my trusty 35 year old wrench didn't do the necessary torque and I thought that a higher rated digital version might be an upgrade, but nope, good old mechanical click is best.