Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
apparently Michelin X-Ice Snow tires are not available in the Model Y size (255/45R19) until January
Curious. Do you know if that availability is for all of NA or just your area?

I'm south of the border from you and I have been patently waiting for the same tires to become available in size 255/45R19. Already have wheels and Tesla TPMS, just need the tires. Been watching TireRack and first they reported being available on Sept 26, then pushed back to Oct 3, now they are saying Oct 15. I guess different countries and different regions, and I assume different vendors so wait and see. Trying to find out if it is not enough supply for demand or just not being made for some reason. This morning the temps are at the low end limits for that Uber 21 tire, so I will have to decide what is plan B pretty soon too...

Update: I got the sensors from Tesla, but apparently Michelin X-Ice Snow tires are not available in the Model Y size (255/45R19) until January. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 are also not available yet and they don't know when they will be. I'm now going with Continental VikingContact7 104T, which are a bit cheaper but probably not as good as the other two. I don't want to wait until January...

Thanks for the update, I'm on the same journey. I bought the Replika R241s online yesterday, got the TPMS from Tesla and I'll grab some tires and get it all fitted (probably at Costco) once the winter tire incentives kick in (some start this week, some next) - they're probably only going to save me $100 but it all helps. It does seem like 255/45R19 is a tougher size to get.

Curious. Do you know if that availability is for all of NA or just your area?
The guy at my tire shop just said they were not available until January 1. It could be just here in Canada. I did notice that they are available to order on TireRack.com but the price would be quite a bit higher, especially after factoring in shipping, duties and customs broker fees. Oh well, the Continentals should be OK and I'll get X-Ice Snow next time.

One other note about the Replika R241 wheels: They are available in +45 offset, which is the Tesla spec, but the default seems to be +35. That would push the wheels 1cm outward, which might increase the problem of stones from the front wheels chipping the part of the back door that ramps outward. The guy at the tire shop said he'd order +45 for me and I have PPF on the whole car but the film on the back door is already getting nicked quite a bit. I think I'll go back to the PPF shop and ask them to cut out that area and replace it with two layers. That way I can get that section redone every few years. If decent-looking front mud flaps come along, that would be a good option too, but I don't see any options right now.

Well I just heard back from my tire guy and according to him the Michelin X-Ice/Snow 255/45R19 has not been released yet and best guess for availability here is late Feb or Mar 2021. A bit late for a winter tire, does not help me, so I placed an order for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV, which is back-ordered till mid Oct. So perhaps it is not too early to be looking, given how much CV-19 has messed up everything, and limited options for MY winter tires.

Just called Goldwing and Slick..
For my performance I’m dropping down to 19 inch..

It seems they both are offering Replica 241 wheels (I’m a bit bummed because I wanted something that looked different from my 21 Ubers)

Goldwing has the Nokian R3 is stock and Slick has the Viking Continental..

All in Goldwing was quoting $3345 (apparently they have the TPMS sensors in stock..)

All in Goldwing was quoting $3345 (apparently they have the TPMS sensors in stock..)

Seems a little bit pricey to me? I picked up R241s for $1084 all-in. A set of the most expensive tires is $1700 all-in, install maybe another $60 and 4x Tesla TPMS @ $200. You can probably save $3-400 if you shop around. I'm guessing it's not an itemized quote? For me that's similar to when you buy a car and they'll only show you the monthly payment. :)

You might want to check they know about and mean the new Tesla Bluetooth TPMS - one website I looked at offered to include TPMS and when I checked they were just including the regular ones.

Seems a little bit pricey to me? I picked up R241s for $1084 all-in. A set of the most expensive tires is $1700 all-in, install maybe another $60 and 4x Tesla TPMS @ $200. You can probably save $3-400 if you shop around. I'm guessing it's not an itemized quote? For me that's similar to when you buy a car and they'll only show you the monthly payment. :)

You might want to check they know about and mean the new Tesla Bluetooth TPMS - one website I looked at offered to include TPMS and when I checked they were just including the regular ones.
Where are you getting four Tesla TPMS at that price? Second hand? Tesla charges $75 USD each! If not Tesla TPMS, make sure you can return them if they do not work.

Reactions: PKOttawa

Here's what I was quoted. Of course you can add/ remove options.
Alloy Wheel
R241 Replika 19x9.5 5x114.3 +35 +10
260.00 x 4=1,040.00
T430634 255/45R19 NOKI BW WI HAKKA R3 XL 104 T
322.00 x 4 =1,288.00
Tire Installation and Electronic Balancing
20.00 x 4=80.00
ECO TIRE TAX
Ontario Eco Tire Recycling Tax
4.00 x 4=16.00
OEM TESLA TPMS
110.00 x 4=440.00
Hardware Kit ~ Black Spline Closed (20)
69.95 x 1=69.95
WHEELS&TIRES - NITROGEN
4.00 x 4=16.00
Subtotal 2,949.95
HST 13% 383.49
Total CAD including HST $3,333.44

The guy at my tire shop just said they were not available until January 1. It could be just here in Canada. I did notice that they are available to order on TireRack.com but the price would be quite a bit higher, especially after factoring in shipping, duties and customs broker fees. Oh well, the Continentals should be OK and I'll get X-Ice Snow next time.

One other note about the Replika R241 wheels: They are available in +45 offset, which is the Tesla spec, but the default seems to be +35. That would push the wheels 1cm outward, which might increase the problem of stones from the front wheels chipping the part of the back door that ramps outward. The guy at the tire shop said he'd order +45 for me and I have PPF on the whole car but the film on the back door is already getting nicked quite a bit. I think I'll go back to the PPF shop and ask them to cut out that area and replace it with two layers. That way I can get that section redone every few years. If decent-looking front mud flaps come along, that would be a good option too, but I don't see any options right now.
My tire shop said the same: Ice-X Snow not available until January. They are only available now in Ontario in smaller wheel sizes. I prefer Michelin so I went with the Pilot PA4 tires. I also bought the Replika R241's (19x9, with +45 offset, as I did not want to change from the standard wheels). Just waiting for the TPMS sensors from Tesla (about 2 weeks, approx. $100 CA ea).

Just checked 1010Tires..

Looks like they have much more wheel selection and 10% off right now so you could save at least $300 depending on tire selection...

Just have to figure out where to get TPMS sensors..

Yeah those prices seem decent. Trouble is if they're installing the tires on the rims then shipping, how do you get the Tesla TPMS installed?

Check out Black Circles for tires too - they are 8% off plus the manu discount on most. They also setup the at-home install directly for $30. I got a call within an hour of ordering to confirm it all - seemed really helpful and keen. I got my Replikas from PMC who were also excellent to deal with.

I got my TPMS from the Tesla SC on Carling.

Yah.. after much fiddling with the annoying interface..

I’m going with the replica 241 (it was too difficult to determine if other wheels would fit properly)

and Michelin PA4 (19 inch)

the total with tax and delivery is $2590

I guess I’ll have to order TPMS and get them installed (and the tires rebalanced) but I should still come out ahead..

Yah.. after much fiddling with the annoying interface..

I’m going with the replica 241 (it was too difficult to determine if other wheels would fit properly)

and Michelin PA4 (19 inch)

the total with tax and delivery is $2590

I guess I’ll have to order TPMS and get them installed (and the tires rebalanced) but I should still come out ahead..
With new tps' and wheel nuts to match he new rims you're up to 3k. I'm just going to go with GW since they're brining in the sensors already. Not sure if they have the tires you want, but I'm sire they can get them. Might be worth asking and figuring out an all in price. Might save you some effort or RE and RE and re-balance.

Went into Slick Automotive and talked to Andre. I decided to go with Toyo Celsius All Weather tires as I prefer just the one set of tires. Will put them on the Gemini's when I get the car early November. $300 each and they are in stock.

Hmm, never heard of these, or anyone doing all-seasons in Ottawa. I guess it depends how much you drive. I'll be interested to see how they wear when used year-round, and what the performance is like. I would assume there's a bit of a compromise across the board.

I always found this video quite persuasive about the benefits of winter tires, then again it is from Tire Rack -

Reactions: Barrygold
Hmm, never heard of these, or anyone doing all-seasons in Ottawa. I guess it depends how much you drive. I'll be interested to see how they wear when used year-round, and what the performance is like. I would assume there's a bit of a compromise across the board.

I always found this video quite persuasive about the benefits of winter tires, then again it is from Tire Rack -
I guess you meant "all weather" not all-seasons. I run all weather on my pathfinder. All weather have the snow flake symbol. They're closer to winter tires for stopping than all seasons. I've never actually used snow tires for a car in Ottawa. I live in the core but go skiing around 30-50 times/year. Last year was my first with all weather tires. I was only getting two years with all season tires so switched to all weather last year. Figuring it couldn't get any worse. I'll probably keep the oem and get them to switch out in the spring.
This article was pretty good.
Toyo Celsius All Weather Tire Long-Term Test, Part Two

Tesla store is now showing $4700 for snow tires. Crazy expensive.
Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Yeah that is expensive. I think there's two factors - a) they don't particularly need or want the business and b) original factory wheels from dealers are always expensive, if you can even get them - I'm guessing that's because they have to come from the factory and potentially take away supply from the build lines.

I was going to buy the oem originally but then decided to save 2k+ and go with the replicas.

It was the same deal for my Audis when I bought for those. Dealer is always much more expensive. Even just buying rubber with no rims.

The replicas look better anyway.