Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine just picked up his M3P and needless to say he has to quickly find a wheel that will fit on the car that accommodates the bigger brakes etc.

He will very likely get the Michellin X-Ice winter tires. Any recommendations on size and what offset of wheels (and size) to get that will fit the M3P?

Thanks in advance!

A friend of mine just picked up his M3P and needless to say he has to quickly find a wheel that will fit on the car that accommodates the bigger brakes etc.

He will very likely get the Michellin X-Ice winter tires. Any recommendations on size and what offset of wheels (and size) to get that will fit the M3P?

Thanks in advance!

I got the 19" ASA GT14 from TireRack with the Sottozero Noise Canceling tires for my M3P. I know you can get 18" also. Just check them out, not expensive and look great.

Reactions: SilverGS
Just received the Ohm Lightning (Gloss Black) 18 x 8.5" wheels with Michelin X-Ice Xi-3 235/45/18 winter tires. They exceed my expectations, these wheels are fantastic. They clear the performance brakes and weigh ~22 lbs, machined to fit the P3D hubs without any adapters or rings. Still waiting for the TPMS to be detected, but hoping they register soon. Shout out to Jason @ GetYourWheels!

Oh and please excuse my dirty discs in these photos, just went through a couple of snow storms with grit and grime on the roads, and of course haven't applied the brakes much with the sorta recent improved regen update. Ran to the car wash after installing the new wheels and snapped a few photos. I'll take it out tomorrow and stomp a little to make them sparkle.

BTW the cost of these, delivered, was less than my original Black Friday order for a competitors winter tire package.

wheels1.jpg wheels2.jpg wheels3.jpg wheels4.jpg wheels5.jpg wheels6.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up 18 Viking Contact 7. As others have noted they are actually quieter than the Primacy stocks. I have them on Touren TR60 Gunmetal Grey. We likely won't have snow in the next few days where I'm located, but it's been alright in the rain and does feel soft.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-21_21-33-5.png
    upload_2019-12-21_21-33-5.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.32.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.32.48 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 240
Reactions: mcorf and TomB985
Just received the Ohm Lightning (Gloss Black) 18 x 8.5" wheels with Michelin X-Ice Xi-3 235/45/18 winter tires. They exceed my expectations, these wheels are fantastic. They clear the performance brakes and weigh ~22 lbs, machined to fit the P3D hubs without any adapters or rings. Still waiting for the TPMS to be detected, but hoping they register soon. Shout out to Jason @ GetYourWheels!

I am making this change soon after going through a pothole and damaged the side of front tire Any changes in handling, efficiency, or ride quality? And did you use any spacers or hub centric ring to have the OEM fit?

Oh and please excuse my dirty discs in these photos, just went through a couple of snow storms with grit and grime on the roads, and of course haven't applied the brakes much with the sorta recent improved regen update. Ran to the car wash after installing the new wheels and snapped a few photos. I'll take it out tomorrow and stomp a little to make them sparkle.

BTW the cost of these, delivered, was less than my original Black Friday order for a competitors winter tire package.

View attachment 491278 View attachment 491279 View attachment 491284 View attachment 491281 View attachment 491282 View attachment 491283

Sweet looking ride! How is acceleration with those Michelins? I've heard that the Xice have issues with traction...

Sweet looking ride! How is acceleration with those Michelins? I've heard that the Xice have issues with traction...
Definitely less traction. Had a few moments with heavy acceleration where I unintentionally induced drifting. I think wet (above freezing) conditions are not great either with sudden acceleration. Have not had snow again yet since I put these on, so really hoping they shine as snow tires. I really feel like I notice the difference in weight, and the extra rubber instills confidence in dealing with potholes and bad roads.

• Informative
Reactions: Nauman87
I learned a good lesson the last January, I got stuck in the 4-5” snow, when the CHP pulled me out and teased me on my new M3 dual motor with new tires. I bought the discontinued WS80 from Tire Rack this summer for $90 each and bought the set of aero for $800 with TPMS to Mount it on. Hope it works well when it hits Lake Tahoe this winter.