Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed 18” sottozero 3 t0’s yesterday. Did a 70 mile trip and was really impressed coming from 20” zero g wheels with PS4. Wh/mi is way down and they still felt pretty sticky on the road. Got a set for about $820 new from onlinetires.com

20201121_132257.jpg

Installed Blizzak LM001 225/45/18s in Seoul, South Korea. Only a little noisier than the stock Primacy tires on the highway and not noticable on the normal roads. About a 5% range drop probably because they're not ecogreen or low resistance tires like the stock Michelins. Well worth the range tradeoff.

Expect to see a bit more drop off as the temps drop for Korean winter.

Nice. It is very solid winter tire, based on everything I read. It was a strong contender in my own recent choice, although I ended up going for the Yokohama Winter v905.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that sometimes the most recent winter tire releases from some of the tire manufacturers are not available outside of Europe. I would have had even more interest in the Blizzak LM005, which is supposedly an updated version of the LM001. It was released by Bridgestone a couple of years ago, but I could see no availability in Canada. Similar for the Yokohama product, for which the latest release, albeit only earlier this year, is the v906. So far that tire is only available in Europe. What gives with that?

We have even less choices in South Korea. Winter tires are kind of a novelty for people who value safety or value their expensive imported cars. Some people still use summer tires in winter!

For the M3, choices were the older Michelin Xice Xi3, expensive Pirellis or the domestic manufacturers in Kumho and Hankook. The domestic winter tires rate terribly and weren't much cheaper than Blizzak.

Europe just gets the best stuff since they're the biggest market for winter tires?

I was going to say that North America is a pretty big market too. But then I realized that I am looking at it too much from a Canadian perspective. Winter tires are pretty prevalent in this country, but I am forgetting that there are vast parts of the United States where nobody buys winter tires. Canada by itself is a pretty small market.

Anyone have any experience with the Pirelli Sottozero T0 Tesla Noise Cancelling System variant of the Sottozero tire? I'm expecting delivery of a M3P any day now, and looking to change out to 18" tires, and considering the Sottozero. The Tesla specific variant is about $60 more per tire on Tire Rack. Curious if it's worth it (e.g., quieter, better range, etc)? Thanks!

Is there a huge difference between RWD and AWD on snow (3+ inches)? Nervous about my RWD in the winter.
For stopping, there is almost no difference. For handling, there is some difference but it's not huge. For accelerating from a stop or going up a hill the difference is huge. I agree with the prior poster though; I'd rather have good snow tires on a RWD car than an AWD car with all seasons.

• Informative
Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
I would not say that the MXM4s are noisy at all, so if the Hakkas are quieter than those, that really would be something. The MXM4 tires may have other flaws, but noise is not one of them.

That said, I always find it curious how widely divergent accounts of tire noise are. Go to any tire review site and you often get very different assessments on that score for the same tire. I never have been able to figure it out.