Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not say that the MXM4s are noisy at all, so if the Hakkas are quieter than those, that really would be something. The MXM4 tires may have other flaws, but noise is not one of them.

That said, I always find it curious how widely divergent accounts of tire noise are. Go to any tire review site and you often get very different assessments on that score for the same tire. I never have been able to figure it out.
I also have an August 2018 model 3 with the wide open grill to the trunk which I think makes the car noisier in general than newer builds but for what it’s worth the tire noise is greater with the MXM4 than the Hakka’s.

First post here. We have a 2020 Model 3 Long Range (loving it) and are preparing for our first Ottawa winter. I did a bit of research and got the impression that the Tesla stock Pirellis for winter are not ideal for the more extreme conditions we can get here. I ended up getting Yokohama Winter V905. It is a bit of an unusual choice and have no idea how they will turn out. So far they seem fine - they handle nicely and are pretty quiet. But the temperature is freakishly up to 20 degrees Celsius today and for the next days, so I am certainly not go to be able to test them in winter conditions just yet.

Winter did arrive, and with us being through a good deal of it already, I can say that the Yokohama tires have been excellent, in a variety of winter conditions. The only thing that I can't give an assessment on is efficiency (in terms of rolling resistance) as I do not keep detailed data on that (sorry).

I see your TR's Type 71 wheel, and will raise you with my recently ordered Type 30 wheels.
Type 30's are Tesla 64.1mm hub-centric, lighter, and a little cheaper.
Looks are clearly subjective.
I ordered my set shod with 235/45R18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

YMMV,
a
I’m literally about to buy the Type 30 MSW package on tire rack … I also live in NYC! Can you pretty please post a picture of them on your car? Also, such a relief hearing you say the center bore matches the stupid step on the performance negating the need for hub rings… that’s a huge huge bonus!! I’m hoping the 18s look good on my pear white performance… thanks bud!!!

I’m literally about to buy the Type 30 MSW package on tire rack … I also live in NYC! Can you pretty please post a picture of them on your car? Also, such a relief hearing you say the center bore matches the stupid step on the performance negating the need for hub rings… that’s a huge huge bonus!! I’m hoping the 18s look good on my pear white performance… thanks bud!!!

Just found it in my picture archives:
TM3 with winter wheels.jpg

After 2 winters, the tread on the tread on 235/45R18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 is down to 3-4/32nds. Basically, they are now all-season tires, and will be replaced for the coming season with another set.
Wheels have lasted perfectly fine, and are still perfectly round and well balanced. They have picked up a few parking curb rashes, but that's life.

Truth be told, the 235mm Xi3's were too narrow for my taste, providing zero rim protection. As luck would have it, Michelin's had discontinued that particular tire model size.

So now I will be replacing my winter tires with either 245/40R18 Michelin Xi3's or Blizzak WS90's (Blizzak's are my all time favorite winter tires), or 255/45R18 Xi3's.
Or another winter tire model altogether - there is still plenty of time left for research on the latest winter rubber developments.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
Trying out Continental Vikingcontact7's. The reviews are just amazing.
I’m also loving the reviews of these tires. Almost pulled the trigger on them the other day, but my go to tire place said they won’t honour the warranty on the tires since the speed rating doesn’t match the OEM speed rating. Slightly pissed, but haven’t ruled them out yet. At a T rating it’s more than sufficient!

Trying out Continental Vikingcontact7's. The reviews are just amazing.
They are really good. I ran them on my 2019 model 3 sr for one season (im selling these with aeros tpms and caps in the marketplace here) and will buy another set for my 2021 sr+. I've used a lot of different winter tires, I'd put these up there with the hakka r3 at the top.

(moderator note)

Inform:

This thread was originally created because "what size tire should I use?" threads tend to overwhelm this subforum (along with "what size rims should I get / what aftermarket rims did you buy" etc threads).

These questions are still posted with extreme regularity, however I have noticed a decline in the number of people who seem to answer the questions in this sticky thread. With that being the case, I am going to unsticky this thread (not delete it, just remove it from being a sticky) and let it rise and fall on its own.

Additionally, I will no longer be consolidating "Tire and Rim" questions into the respective threads.

I’m also loving the reviews of these tires. Almost pulled the trigger on them the other day, but my go to tire place said they won’t honour the warranty on the tires since the speed rating doesn’t match the OEM speed rating. Slightly pissed, but haven’t ruled them out yet. At a T rating it’s more than sufficient!
The tire shop where I bought my winter tires a year ago for our Model 3 LR (Yokohama Winter V905) indicated that it was ok to go down a rating from W to V, at least for winters. But maybe T rating is a step too far down.

T is technically fine. T is rated for up to 118mph. I don’t think I’ve ever gone that fast in my Tesla. Especially in winter.

I have never seen a clear answer on that issue. Some posts have suggested that having a tire with a lower speed rating than OEM is an issue even if you don't go nearly as fast at the maximum specified under the rating. I am not sure why - maybe because the tire still has to withstand fast acceleration below the max speed?? Other posts suggest it is not a problem. Some tire shops will install it. Others refuse. I wish this was more clear. I would like to install a specific tire that only has a V rating when my all-season W rated Michelin Primacy tires need replacing, but I am not sure that it will be possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
I have never seen a clear answer on that issue. Some posts have suggested that having a tire with a lower speed rating than OEM is an issue even if you don't go nearly as fast at the maximum specified under the rating.

That, logically, makes no sense.
If the tire is rated to run upto a certain speed threshold, you have nothing to worry about unless you exceed it.
So, if you plan to regularly drive at triple-digit speeds, make sure to roll on R-rated or better tires.
Upto 130mph? Get H-rated or better.
Upto 155mph? W-rated or above, please.

Don't just take other peoples advice at face value. Understand the logic behind their reasoning, and if THAT makes sense to you, then you may choose to adopt it.

I am not sure why - maybe because the tire still has to withstand fast acceleration below the max speed??

Tire speed rating is correlated with sidewall stiffness.
Rating is assigned after a test where the tire is loaded and pressed over a rotating drum (dynameter style) and then run at ever increasing speeds upto the specified threshold.

What happens if you exceed the speed rating for a length of time?
The sidewall starts flexing too much, which may, eventually, lead to its failure (aka a blow-out).
So don't do that, and you'll be just fine.

Other posts suggest it is not a problem. Some tire shops will install it. Others refuse. I wish this was more clear. I would like to install a specific tire that only has a V rating when my all-season W rated Michelin Primacy tires need replacing, but I am not sure that it will be possible.

V-speed rating is good upto 149mph.
If you can contain yourself to stay below those speeds, you will be perfectly fine.

If your tire shop gets snooty with you (e.g.: 50% of Costco shops), find another one.

HTH,
a

Reactions: MatildaModelY
The Michelin X-ICE tires worked perfectly fine for me. I never regretted getting them.

I LOVED my X-Ice i3 winter tires for the two winters that they had lasted me (still longer than summer PSS's). Great over dry cold roads, good on ice, OK over fresh snow (I have another car that's better over snow on Blizzak WS80's).
I was going to get another set this fall, but found out the hard way that X-Ice i3's have been discontinued and replaced with X-Ice Snows. So, I rolled the dice, and got a set of Nokian Hakka 3's. They are still sitting, waiting to go onto the car.

Will report on the differences later, once I've exposed them to proper winter conditions.

That, logically, makes no sense.
If the tire is rated to run upto a certain speed threshold, you have nothing to worry about unless you exceed it.
So, if you plan to regularly drive at triple-digit speeds, make sure to roll on R-rated or better tires.
Upto 130mph? Get H-rated or better.
Upto 155mph? W-rated or above, please.

Don't just take other peoples advice at face value. Understand the logic behind their reasoning, and if THAT makes sense to you, then you may choose to adopt it.

Tire speed rating is correlated with sidewall stiffness.
Rating is assigned after a test where the tire is loaded and pressed over a rotating drum (dynameter style) and then run at ever increasing speeds upto the specified threshold.

What happens if you exceed the speed rating for a length of time?
The sidewall starts flexing too much, which may, eventually, lead to its failure (aka a blow-out).
So don't do that, and you'll be just fine.

V-speed rating is good upto 149mph.
If you can contain yourself to stay below those speeds, you will be perfectly fine.
If your tire shop gets snooty with you (e.g.: 50% of Costco shops), find another one.

HTH,
a
Thanks. I really appreciate your input.

I LOVED my X-Ice i3 winter tires for the two winters that they had lasted me (still longer than summer PSS's). Great over dry cold roads, good on ice, OK over fresh snow (I have another car that's better over snow on Blizzak WS80's).
I was going to get another set this fall, but found out the hard way that X-Ice i3's have been discontinued and replaced with X-Ice Snows. So, I rolled the dice, and got a set of Nokian Hakka 3's. They are still sitting, waiting to go onto the car.

Will report on the differences later, once I've exposed them to proper winter conditions.

Any reason not to get the new version of the Michelin X-Ice? I have not done a lot of reading on them, but what I have read indicated that they are good.

Any reason not to get the new version of the Michelin X-Ice? I have not done a lot of reading on them, but what I have read indicated that they are good.

I didn't have enough information about them to draw a conclusion at the time when I went shopping a month or two ago.
Around here, in NY/NJ area, 95% of the driving I do in the winter is on frozen but snow and-ice free roads. A few times a year we get a foot of snow, but it gets cleared from the roads very quickly and completely. Thus, stability, responsiveness, and performance on frozen asphalt is a priority for me. Traction over ice (daily snow melting followed by refreezing at night) is also important. Snow is the least of my concerns, and when we get a foot or more, I am taking another car with WS80 Blizzaks on it anyway. Model 3 just doesn't have ride height to go over 1/2 a foot of snow, never mind a full foot, anyway.

Frankly, I'm not sold on the Hakka 3 hype, but was curious enough to try them out for myself.
If I lived further north, Michelin X-Ice-Snow or Blizzak WS90's would have been my tire preferences.

YMMV,
a

• Helpful
Reactions: chinney