Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the time of year when this forum starts to get new winter related posts. Thankfully there is already a wealth of information in the forum.
We’ll take it as read that few people read the manual and the advice it contains for cold weather.
Let’s start with probably the most common query as temperatures drop -

Where did my miles go?
Put very simply, batteries don’t like the cold. They like to work at an optimum temperature and your car will do all it can to keep them at this temperature. That means it will use some of the energy in your battery to heat them up and to keep them warm. This obviously uses more energy than in summer when the ambient temperature is higher. It also takes a wee bit of time to get the batteries warm so they will be less efficient before they come up to temperature. You’ll also lose more energy when charging in winter as the batteries have usually got to heat up to charge as efficiently as possible. If you are heading to a Supercharger the car will automatically preheat the battery during your drive. This can seem to be a bit variable, but depends on a host of factors such as outside temp, battery temp, distance etc. Even if you are not heading to a supercharger to charge, you can trick the car into pre-heating by selecting a supercharger as the destination in the navigation. The car should start to preheat and when you arrive at your non-supercharger charger the battery will charge faster due to it being a bit warmer.

Keep an eye out for the snowflake icon on the screen. this indicates that the battery is cold and the car has reserved some of the capacity. You’ll probably notice it when your battery capacity or miles remaining jumps up. This is the car releasing the reserved capacity now that the battery is warm.

Aside from batteries there is at least one other component that likes to stay warm - the driver and possibly passengers. If it’s cold outside more energy will be needed to heat the cabin and therefore there will be less available to drive the wheels. This also applies when you’re sitting in the car while charging.

Also the weather can have an impact on your efficiency too. While in the UK & I we can get heavy rain in the summer, it is much more common in winter and is therefore more noticeable. Thankfully Tesla have started to incorporate the weather in trip range calculations, but I’m not sure it will accommodate the 4 seasons in one day we get here.

What does all this mumbo jumbo mean to you? It means that you will get less range with your car than you did in the summer. There are lots of threads that delve into this deeper if you want to understand how it impacts you.

Incidentally ICE cars are impacted by cold weather as well. They are just so inefficient that the loss due to the cold is less obvious and a lot of the waste is heat which can be quite useful at this time of year.

What Tyres?
As the weather starts to deteriorate people’s thoughts will start to drift (no pun intended) to the best tyres for winter use. If you can afford them and can be bothered with changing them, then winter tyres offer the best performance in sub 7C temperatures. Nowadays though you also have very good all season tyres. Again plenty of threads that deal with the pros and cons of each type and what size is needed for various Tesla models. Just don’t make the mistake this driver did by thinking that AWD makes your car invincible.

Your tyre pressures will also be affected by the cold weather. Pressure drops by about 1-2psi for every 10C drop in air temperature. Therefore if you pumped your tyres up in the summer, by the time winter comes - and don’t forget those cold autumnal mornings - you could see quite a substantial drop in your tyre pressures. It is also not uncommon for each tyre to have different temperatures especially first thing in the morning. I often see this when one side of the car has been heated by the sun and the other is in shade. I’ve even seen just one tyre heated by the sun and the rest at a much lower pressure. Keep an eye on them and follow best practice for winter use.

Windscreen washer
The size of the fluid reservoir can be found in the manual. What you put in it has already been discussed and this is largely a matter of personal choice. What you used in your last car will likely work in your Tesla, it ain’t that special.

Ice, ice baby
Frosty mornings also bring frozen windows, doors, charging ports etc. There are some precautions you can take to mitigate the impact of these, but there are also some good threads in the forum about what can go wrong and how to get in your car if something is frozen.

Cold windows can sometimes lead to condensation on the inside and occasionally ’steam/smoke’ when charging. It’s not unusual for the tail lights in particular to be affected. Lots of posts about what Tesla consider to be ‘within spec’ for this.

You may also hear your car making more noises than usual. This is likely the heat pump moving heat around the car and battery. It’s even mentioned in the manual along with some sample sounds.

If you have an LR or Performance you’ll have 4 wheel drive, but that doesn’t mean you can drive like Hannu Mikkola in snow and ice. Without decent tyres, see above, you’ll just slide in a potentially expensive manner. A RWD car with winter/All season tyres will out perform an AWD car with summer tyres in these conditions.

If you have any other links to existing threads then please post them. Most of all, use the search function, it's not our first winter :)

49588601437_2eacee773a_b.jpg

"Tesla Model 3 Bola B16" by Bola Wheels is marked with Public Domain Mark 1.0.
(Note: Above Image added by TMC admin)

You consumed 2kwh of energy in 17minutes heating the car? seems like a lot. That is a power consumption of 7KW.
Not sure of the output of the heaters / heat pump but. to put it in context the most powerful fan heater you can buy domestically is 3KW. So this would be the equivalent of running 2 of those at the same time and you would still have 1kw spare. Can the car really consume that much pre heating?

I will check tomorrow but I think I get similar (M3P). Expecting -3c here tonight and normally hit defrost after getting out of the shower - giving me 15-20 mins to be dressed and out the door. While plugged in at home I don’t think I see a battery loss but on the 3-pin at work I do. (Leave from work to get to work 5 days a week and commute at weekends) that’s probably made things as clear as mud 😂😂

The heating system will take whatever you feed it.

When I have the heating/defrost on while plugged in and max charge limit hit. The car pulls 7.5kw from my charger just for the heating system. She is power hungry , however she is a lot more powerful than 2x fan heaters, she can throw out a LOT of heat for the cabin and battery’s.

You consumed 2kwh of energy in 17minutes heating the car? seems like a lot. That is a power consumption of 7KW.
Not sure of the output of the heaters / heat pump but. to put it in context the most powerful fan heater you can buy domestically is 3KW. So this would be the equivalent of running 2 of those at the same time and you would still have 1kw spare. Can the car really consume that much pre heating?
Yes. It’s been shown that non heat pump cars can peak at iirc 13kW. That’s also why you can be plugged in at 7kW and still consume some battery - no heat pump car. No idea about heat pump cars.

Heating up thermal mass of battery will be a lot harder than a small bit of space heating. That space heat’s pretty quickly but battery is a longer task.

One of the reasons why I would really like Tesla to allow pre conditioning wholly from battery. If you are plugged in then it consumes a lot of potentially dirty peak rate energy.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Got caught in a big dump of snow on my way home to East Sussex from London today. Impressed how well off road assist worked on my MY LR. Made a big difference, and was able to carefully make it up some hills that other folks could not get up.

I will probably get some snow socks to leave in the car though. Summer tires no good on snow.

Got caught in a big dump of snow on my way home to East Sussex from London today. Impressed how well off road assist worked on my MY LR. Made a big difference, and was able to carefully make it up some hills that other folks could not get up.

I will probably get some snow socks to leave in the car though. Summer tires no good on snow.
To be clear you were on summer tyres?
Did you enable off-road for the whole trip or just when you sensed difficulty in a patchy area?

Wondering what I should be doing for my commute if it holds like this In the morning…

Have you been on motorway speed at some point?

To be clear you were on summer tyres?
Did you enable off-road for the whole trip or just when you sensed difficulty in a patchy area?

Wondering what I should be doing for my commute if it holds like this In the morning…

Have you been on motorway speed at some point?
On the Hankook tires that came with my Model Y. I turned on off-road assist as soon as I was driving on snow and had it on for the entire way home.

And no - this was driving on soft snow. A22 from East Grinstead southwards. Mostly somewhere between 7-15mph.

On the Hankook tires that came with my Model Y. I turned on off-road assist as soon as I was driving on snow and had it on for the entire way home.

And no - this was driving on soft snow. A22 from East Grinstead southwards. Mostly somewhere between 7-15mph.
Btw, would not recommend driving on snow with summer tires unless you have to. Regardless of the 4wd and off-road assist working better than I expected.

Reactions: KennethS
AF84C494-31C8-440F-A0B5-27F2C03CFCBF.jpeg

Another miserable weekly commute in M3P… started this morning at 92%, finished on 14%. Last long trip was at 19 degrees (no heat pump) until the last 30 miles when climate was off…

Gives me 100% range of 202. Which is, the way my work is going, unusably crap

And to preempt the why dont you sell it brigade, WBAC is now down to £31 for a 2020, 21k M3P.

It’s great being an early adopter.

View attachment 883898
Another miserable weekly commute in M3P… started this morning at 92%, finished on 14%. Last long trip was at 19 degrees (no heat pump) until the last 30 miles when climate was off…

Gives me 100% range of 202. Which is, the way my work is going, unusably crap

And to preempt the why dont you sell it brigade, WBAC is now down to £31 for a 2020, 21k M3P.

It’s great being an early adopter.
If prices are down then presumably whatever you replace it with will also be cheaper. Its the delta that matters not the price. Not sure what you would get though. Unless you are going back to ICE. Other than a newer Tesla with a heat pump there arent many other EVs that will do much over 200miles in the sub zero temps we had last week.
As the former owner of a non heat pump car. I always found, when commuting alone, setting the heater fan speed to 1 or 2 and heated seat on 2-3 gave me better efficiency than auto everything with no loss of comfort. Used to get 290-300 on long cold winter journeys but that was in an LR.

If prices are down then presumably whatever you replace it with will also be cheaper. Its the delta that matters not the price. Not sure what you would get though. Unless you are going back to ICE. Other than a newer Tesla with a heat pump there arent many other EVs that will do much over 200miles in the sub zero temps we had last week.
As the former owner of a non heat pump car. I always found, when commuting alone, setting the heater fan speed to 1 or 2 and heated seat on 2-3 gave me better efficiency than auto everything with no loss of comfort. Used to get 290-300 on long cold winter journeys but that was in an LR.
LR’s plainly the sweet spot. We need an acceleration de-boost option!

My findings from last night (not plugged in) which were better than expected.

9.10pm 100% temp -1 range 266 miles

Heat car 10 mins (from app not scheduled departure) 99% then drive 2 miles 98%

9.25pm parked for night 98% temp -1

11.25pm checked still 98% temp -1

9.25am this morning parked 97% temp -2 range 260 miles

My findings in a brand new (3 day old) M3 RWD, driving 116 miles on motorway at -1 degree this morning. Left at 100% charge and preconditioned whilst plugged in. arrived at work with 49% battery left, giving a total range of 210 ish miles at 70mph ish. I am pretty happy with this actually and car is plugged into 3 pin charger at work to get me home later tonight.

My findings in a brand new (3 day old) M3 RWD, driving 116 miles on motorway at -1 degree this morning. Left at 100% charge and preconditioned whilst plugged in. arrived at work with 49% battery left, giving a total range of 210 ish miles at 70mph ish. I am pretty happy with this actually and car is plugged into 3 pin charger at work to get me home later tonight.
I am sure that is not the best way to calculate your range. There are various threads related to how to calculate the approximate range. Though Tesla’s calculations have improved over time still there are other more rigorous way to calculate range and efficiency.