Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper blade options for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking on Amazon for the Bosch Icon, I am getting a flag that says they don't fit my 2015 MS. Should I ignore? Will the blade have the necessary attachment option with needing to replace the arm?

I bought the 18 inch and the 28 inch, listed up thread, (and below, for your convenience) and they fit my 2014 P85D even though Amazon said the 18 inch would not. I did not need any other parts or attachments of any kind.

You want the Bosch ICON 28OE (driver) and 18OE (passenger) wipers. Make sure they are the "OE" version and not the "A" or "B" ones.

Links from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade, 28 (Pack of 1): Automotive
Amazon.com: Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18 (Pack of 1): Automotive

I bought the 18 inch and the 28 inch, listed up thread, (and below, for your convenience) and they fit my 2014 P85D even though Amazon said the 18 inch would not. I did not need any other parts or attachments of any kind.

Out of curiosity, I'd looked to see what Amazon offers "specifically for my vehicle" and no Bosch blades of any type come up -- only other brands.

Auto parts guy says the 28AOE is the same as the 28OE but just has extra parts. HOWEVER, early on someone on here mentioned to avoid the A & B. So, is there a 28A or 28B that should be avoided but the 28AOE is OK? Or is the 28AOE the one to be avoided?

Did some research and found that the recommend Bosh ICON wiper for the front left is the 28AOE. Digging a little further is seems that the spoiler for the 28OE is designed to be used for either left or right side whereas the 28AOE spoiler is specifically designed for the air flow at the Left side location. Bosh does say either will work but they specifically recommend the 28AOE. This is the first replacement for my early 2013 MS40 (we don't get much rain here in southern Calif!). For the front Right side the 180E is recommended as several posts here have already noted.

Last edited:
I may have posted this before - I tried both the OE18 and OE19 on the passenger side and I prefer the OE19. Better clearing of the top of the windshield at the passenger side near the center. Thanks for the info regarding the 28AOE!

I had suffered through some extremely annoying chatter/skipping on a Feb 2015 delivered MS85 when the wiper speed was anything other than wide open. I applied Rain X to help the issue but it did nothing. After reading some comments on this forum said to strip the windshield of any additives so I cleaned the window ad nauseam and finally gave up. Sent car to service to address this issue and they blamed it on the Rain X which I think is absurd. I've used Rain X on every vehicle I've owned for 35+yrs and never had this issue. They replaced the blades at no charge with the Bosch blades (same as what came on the car) and said they cleaned the window and repaired the problem. Of course, the rain stopped for over a week so I had to take their word for it. Finally had rain last weekend and the problem was just as bad as when taken to dealer. Frustrating!!

So I took matters into my own hands and hit up Autozone and purchased the Rain X Quantum blade for the driver side (28" QBW-F) and it was a perfect factory fit and used the same clip system (PTP). This blade is impregnated with the Rain X product and applies it during operation.

Bad News... The smallest size it's available in is 19".

Good News... The "Expert Fit" line is the exact same blade without the Rain X product being impregnated.

Bad News.... AutoZone doesn't carry the expert fit.

Good News... Walmart does

So I went to Walmart and picked up the B-17-2 model and it again fit with perfection.

Now the wipers move with silky smooth perfection at any speed. It's amazing how something so simple can be SO annoying. I reapplied Rain X to the whole windshield and it had no affect on the wiper blade performance. If you don't care about the using the Quantum blade then you can just go to Walmart and save yourself a trip and purchase the Expert Fit model.

PRO TIP - When installing the Quantum blade leave on the yellow plastic strip that protects the rubber blade in place. Once installed then slide it off. Otherwise, your hands will be a mess. Trust me.

Video of chattering. Performed this way no matter how wet the window was.

[video]

View attachment 89188

View attachment 89189

View attachment 89190

Checked on the Rain X Quantum today (as I like the Rain X blades). The Rain X Quantum QBW-F is a 26" blade, I don't think they make it in 28". It will obviously work, just a bit smaller than the 28", but as far as I could see at AutoZone, the letter sizes are E are 24", F are 26", I would assume G is 28" but the rack ends at F.

I ended up buying the Bosch Icon instead, the 28" AOE on the Driver side, 18" OE on the passenger side.

Checked on the Rain X Quantum today (as I like the Rain X blades). The Rain X Quantum QBW-F is a 26" blade, I don't think they make it in 28". It will obviously work, just a bit smaller than the 28", but as far as I could see at AutoZone, the letter sizes are E are 24", F are 26", I would assume G is 28" but the rack ends at F.

I ended up buying the Bosch Icon instead, the 28" AOE on the Driver side, 18" OE on the passenger side.

Those blades only worked briefly for me then right back to garbage. I'm down to a 24" Bosch Icon blade on the drivers side and application of Rain X 2 in 1 cleaner/treatment every 2-3 days. Seems to be doing the trick. Chatter free wiper performance for up to about 30mins of a driving rain.

Another member is reporting the Michelin Stealth blades work great but you need to contact Michelin to get the adaptor piece for the passenger side blade to attach. It's included on the drivers side blade.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Those blades only worked briefly for me then right back to garbage. I'm down to a 24" Bosch Icon blade on the drivers side and application of Rain X 2 in 1 cleaner/treatment every 2-3 days. Seems to be doing the trick. Chatter free wiper performance for up to about 30mins of a driving rain.

Another member is reporting the Michelin Stealth blades work great but you need to contact Michelin to get the adaptor piece for the passenger side blade to attach. It's included on the drivers side blade.

Hmmm.... I'll let you know how the Bosch Icon blades work. Hasn't rained since I put them on. The blades I replaced were definitely worn out so can't be any worse than those.

I have used the Costco Goodyear blades on my other cars with pretty good results. I usually end up using the Rain X window wash and it appears to sheet off the rain and keep the blades from chattering.

May be worth looking into. They don't sell it at Autozone though. Saw some at Target the other day.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the wipers. I pinch down on the clips under the wipers and even push that center square and can't seem to remove them. Anyone got some tips or maybe even a video on how to remove them?? I've taken wipers off before but this one has me stumped.

BTW I order some Valeo wipers and will chime back on how well they work.

Having a lot of chattering with the wipers. Are the wipers recommended in this thread relevant to 2016/17 models? Are they the same ones that come standard / installed at service intervals. Looking for a better wiper than the included ones at delivery

It should all apply. I am still using the Rain X 2 in 1 and Bosch Icon blades (with a smaller drivers side blade). The Rain X is good for about 20mins or so of light rain then it starts back up with the chattering. By far my biggest hang up with my wife's Model S. It drives her crazy as well.

Here in the Seattle area wipers tend to be a big deal :biggrin:. The stock blades weren't getting the job done to my liking so I opted for these which have worked quite well: ICON Wiper Blades | Bosch Auto Parts

The key is to get the 28OE (driver) and 17OE (passenger). I made the mistake of getting the non-OE version first and it has the wrong type of attachment. Here are handy links to the correct ones:

Amazon.com: Bosch ICON 28OE Wiper Blade, Up to 40% Longer Life - 28" (Pack of 1): Automotive
Amazon.com: Bosch ICON 17OE Wiper Blade, Up to 40% Longer Life - 17" (Pack of 1): Automotive
These inserts fit stock Tesla Wiper frame?

Here in the Seattle area wipers tend to be a big deal :biggrin:. The stock blades weren't getting the job done to my liking so I opted for these which have worked quite well: ICON Wiper Blades | Bosch Auto Parts

The key is to get the 28OE (driver) and 17OE (passenger). I made the mistake of getting the non-OE version first and it has the wrong type of attachment. Here are handy links to the correct ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-28OE-ICON-Wiper-Blade/dp/B005JU61D6
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-17OE-ICON-Wiper-Blade/dp/B00F9VNPC0
Bosch recommend 28OE and 18OE not 17 OE (Icon)

• Helpful
Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
Glad someone resurrected this posting...

I have since moved to the Michelin Blades and they worked better than any other blade I've tried but still chattered after some continued use. Not as bad as the Bosch Icons though. I did have to call them to get the correct adaptor to mount the passenger side blade. The person I spoke with happened to be located in south FL as well and after I explained all my drama with these blades he sent me another pair in a different size for me to experiment with. I will mention their adapter didn't fit snug into the wiper arm and had an annoying click when it transitioned from one direction to another from the clip having some slop. I fixed it by wrapping the adaptor with clear packing tape so it locks in tight. I told the person I spoke to about this and they were going to revisit the design so who knows if it that issue has been fixed.

HOWEVER!!! The bigger news is that I found a SOLUTION!!!!!

After 2 years of fighting with Tesla Service in West Palm Beach I finally got enough rapport going with the SA and he got approval to replace my wiper arms even though everyone he spoke with said it would make no difference. Well guess what??????

IT FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!

I still have rain X on the windshield and it there is ZERO chatter now despite the years Tesla blamed the poor performing wipers on my rain x application. They work as good as a Chevy Malibu now. Which is to say they are perfect. I do still run a 24" driver side blade and have not tried going back to the OEM size so YMMV.

This has made life in FL so much better.

Unless your arms were defective or bent or they made a change in the design, I fail to see how this could solve the issue. I changed to the Bosch Ikon blades yesterday and those solved the problem for me. It was raining throughout the day yesterday varying from sprinkling to heavy and they worked without any chatter. Smooth and quiet. I have Rain-X on my windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: David29