Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers speed control idea with double tapping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't it be great if we could change the speed of the wipers by tapping, like with headphone buttons?

Speed up - 2 quick taps
Speed down - 1 quick tap followed by 1 longer press

With a quick beep from the car to acknowledge the change.

Yeah I know I could tap the speed on the screen, but it's really not easy to do that while driving, and Auto mode... well it's just not very good and may never be.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
That brings up weird memories of my first VW Golf in '95... The intermittent wipers would "learn" their cadence based on when you activated the one-wipe feature. So many people complained that wipers were broken (because they didn't understand how that worked) that they removed the feature, if memory serves me right. Sometimes great, innovative ideas are lost on people. That car also had a gas flap that would automatically lock with the car (doors) and people would tear it open because they didn't understand. Same thing, it disappeared on the following years. It was a great, misunderstood feature.

Reactions: brkaus and XPsionic
Wouldn't it be great if we could change the speed of the wipers by tapping, like with headphone buttons?

Speed up - 2 quick taps

Yeah I know I could tap the speed on the screen, but it's really not easy to do that while driving, and Auto mode... well it's just not very good and may never be.
Just what are you proposing that we tap to adjust the wiper speed?

Speed up - 2 quick taps

I had for a while advocated a context button on the left stalk. Once you push the button for 1-2 seconds the left scroll wheel briefly adjusts wiper speed up or down, then automatically reverts to the volume control.

Others thought it was too complicated an idea. Maybe could be a setting added to the UI that turned on or off context-sensitive buttons.

I had for a while advocated a context button on the left stalk. Once you push the button for 1-2 seconds the left scroll wheel briefly adjusts wiper speed up or down, then automatically reverts to the volume control.

Others thought it was too complicated an idea. Maybe could be a setting added to the UI that turned on or off context-sensitive buttons.
That would also be brilliant. I just want some kind of physical way to adjust the speed without having to look at the screen or use voice commands.

• Love
Reactions: Vines
I know you want the ability to be added by Tesla themselves, and it would be easy for them to do it.

If you want this bad enough to install an aftermarket device and get additional features as well, then there are two options:
1. S3XY Buttons S3XY Buttons by Enhance | Buy Tesla Buttons | Tesla Accessories
2. Bonus Module (or one of their other modules) BONUS Module - For Tesla Model 3/Y
Nailed it on the ingenext module. I’ve had it in my 22’ M3 LR literally a few days after purchase and it’s a great feature alongside the ABoost unleashed power :)

I love that Tesla solved this for us with the context-sensitive wiper button. I actually like their implementation better than what I had in mind.

For those that do not know, when you push the wiper button now it briefly allows you to change the wiper speed with the left scroll wheel, just push left or right .

Reactions: Destiny1701
context-sensitive wiper button. I actually like their implementation better than what I had in mind.

For those that do not know, when you push the wiper button now it briefly allows you to change the wiper speed with the left scroll wheel, just push left or right .
Has anyone seen a demonstration video in changeable conditions, to see how this functionality works?

Curious how versatile the settings are IRL?

Has anyone seen a demonstration video in changeable conditions, to see how this functionality works?

Curious how versatile the settings are IRL?
I haven't seen one, but I was used to pressing the wiper button when I needed a wipe. Now after that I can select it to be faster or slower.

Honestly to me it is much more annoying that I cannot turn off the auto wipers while in autopilot. They consistently wipe across bone-dry glass, and sometimes won't stop for a while.

I haven't seen one, but I was used to pressing the wiper button when I needed a wipe. Now after that I can select it to be faster or slower.

Honestly to me it is much more annoying that I cannot turn off the auto wipers while in autopilot. They consistently wipe across bone-dry glass, and sometimes won't stop for a while.
If only there was a Cheap off the shelf sensor that has been proven to work...

They could have easily used the sensors, and trained their model, then when it actually worked just as good, then pull the sensors and pocket the savings while patting themselves on the back.

As it is, there are still many significantly dissatisfied with that systems operation, with only a vague promise they will make it ...better...

• Love
Reactions: Vines and Ami-Sven
You can also assign changing the wiper speed to the left scroll wheel "hold" function.
This is what I was interested in seeing demonstrated how the scroll wheel functionality works now.

PNW, and every kind of occlusion from mist to downpour and rapidly changing back and forth, as well as spray to contend with even when its not raining and sunny at times...

Having functional wipers that are intuitive, at your fingertip without taking eyes off the road with Fine speed adjustable is really important to me! And I am sure others...it feels like a safety concern TBH to require looking at a screen to modulate the wipers or operate them.

Does the scroll wheel only allow adjustability between the existing discrete step that are exposed in the GUI, or is there better fine control via the scroll wheel ...hopefully?

Probably a strange request, but possible someone would make a video to demonstrate the way the wipers work now with the scroll wheel adjustment, hopefully in rapidly changing conditions?

I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition (that's a mouthful!) that had better rain sensor wipers than my 2020 M3. Maybe Tesla should just start using that sensor in their cars. It's ridiculous that anyone should have to bush a button at the end of a stalk and then have to turn the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to adjust the wipers.

Reactions: Vines