Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired - What Tesla Needs to Fix Before It Gives Us a New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this is something that can be changed after delivery. One can easily see the Speed control arm but the wiper/turn signal is not visible at all. I agree that the wipers are not very effective and are noisy. I guess if this all we have to complain about we are fortunate. I have the wipers set to low rain automatic so it is annoying but not too big a deal. Got a notification of a software update to be delivered tonight. Any ideas what this one is about?

My new babe has very quiet wipers. I used them today for the first time and was surprised how they seem to be completely silent. No electric motor noise at all. I have the revised stalk layout and wonder if they decided to upgrade other aspects too.

I just got my notice for the SW update today. Yay! Can't wait to see how it feels. The car was delivered with 5.14 on 9-30. Well after 6.0 came out. I'm curious as to what version I'll receive. I guess I'll know in the am. Though it says it's only a 45 min update, which seems like a small one.

Last edited:
My new babe has very quiet wipers. I used them today for the first time and was surprise how they seem to be completely silent. No electric motor noise at all. I have the revised stalk layout and wonder if they decided to upgrade other aspects too.

Now that you mention it yeah my wipers are very quiet. Now if only it didn't leave a streak in the middle of my view (car is going in on the 20th for something else so going to ask them to look into that as well, from what I've found it's a known issue that SC has fix for).

+1. Paradigm busting is what Tesla does. Love it!

It's true that functionality / practicality can't be sacrificed just to bust a paradigm, but, sometimes it takes a while to learn the virtues of a new one ;).

I'm thinking some day there will be more "programmable haptics" behind touchscreens and even more customizability... the future looks bright.

Sure door pockets and a pop-down sunglasses holder might be nice... but I'm happy with what is there.

Essentially, all I feel for the Model S and what Tesla and Elon Musk have done, is gratitude.... what an utterly amazing car and company.

I just toured the Tesla Fremont Factory on the 9th (day of the D reveal)... those guys at the Factory are working *hard*... for every Tesla customer, and to change the world.

I have a ton of respect for them and what Tesla is doing.

Is that a problem too, that to turn the car on you sit in the driver's seat and depress the brake rather than using an "on" button? I remember when you first got the car many of us had to convince you that it's ok to just get out of the car, that you didn't need to turn it off by going to the control screen to shut all systems down before you got out of the car. This car was designed with a clean sheet. It takes some getting used to, like not having to turn it on, or turn it off before you get out. That's part of what makes the Model S so compelling.

- - - Updated - - -

+1. Leapmotion stuff is amazing... yup... surely stuff like that is eventually coming to cars and other places -- a bit like Minority Report or Iron Man ;),

Similarly, and in the spirit of "a man's reach should exceed his grasp", I wonder if the kind of technology used by Leapmotion could be used to teach one's car to understand gestures without even having to touch the touchscreen. Probably too distracting now, but with more refinement in the autopilot software (so the driver can look away momentarily, in the absence of a HUD system), maybe not in the future.

Now that you mention it yeah my wipers are very quiet. Now if only it didn't leave a streak in the middle of my view (car is going in on the 20th for something else so going to ask them to look into that as well, from what I've found it's a known issue that SC has fix for).

My wiper noise is horrible. They sound like they are hitting a wall when they come up and reach full extension. It's a big thump! It's so bad I won't drive it in the rain. Other new cars were just as bad and service tech said that was normal. Really...it's not normal on my Hyundai. Did you guys get a newer improved version? Mine was ordered in March and delivered in June.

+1. Paradigm busting is what Tesla does. Love it!

Essentially, all I feel for the Model S and what Tesla and Elon Musk have done, is gratitude.... what an utterly amazing car and company.

As do I. More than I can say for the good fortune of actually being able to afford such an amazing item. Thank you for your wonderfully positive words and intention.

Last edited:
Let me add one aspect of this no-button UI. I do unlock with Park button every day, and turn off lights every day at home as my condo's mechanical parking has a big mirror (almost all mechanical parkings have one) and it's blinding. I also raise suspension very high every day as my office parking has steep slope (getting out only). The problem is that unlock, suspension buttons are on far left on RHD cars and hard to reach. Also "charge port open" button is on far left.

So as I wish Tesla modify and fix control panel for RHD cars, I think 1 or 2 customizable physical buttons to cover various usages would be nice.

Let me add one aspect of this no-button UI. I do unlock with Park button every day, and turn off lights every day at home as my condo's mechanical parking has a big mirror (almost all mechanical parkings have one) and it's blinding. I also raise suspension very high every day as my office parking has steep slope (getting out only). The problem is that unlock, suspension buttons are on far left on RHD cars and hard to reach. Also "charge port open" button is on far left.

So as I wish Tesla modify and fix control panel for RHD cars, I think 1 or 2 customizable physical buttons to cover various usages would be nice.

If you have 6.0 it should remember your suspension setting by GPS and automatically raise the car.

UI changes for RHD vehicles is a good suggestion. Have you shared with Tesla?

I've been noticing that same issue. It seems like the streak is only where the wiper arm presses on the wiper itself, but given its at eye level if definitely bugs me. Would be curious what your SC does. I was there recently to get the cup holders installed and asked them to look at it but doesn't seem they did anything.

I've been noticing that same issue. It seems like the streak is only where the wiper arm presses on the wiper itself, but given its at eye level if definitely bugs me. Would be curious what your SC does. I was there recently to get the cup holders installed and asked them to look at it but doesn't seem they did anything.

They said they cleaned the windshield to make it smoother and replaced the wiper blade. Wasn't raining hard enough on the way home to tell if it solved anything.