Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ill have to find the article but UBC just patented a cool wireless ev charging system. Seriously simple and one of this palm face ideas!

Essentially under the pavement is a rotating magnet. On your car is a receiver that is also magnetic or something like that. The magnet rotates under the car causing the car side to rotate turning a generator like the regen system.

Ill have to find the article but UBC just patented a cool wireless ev charging system. Seriously simple and one of this palm face ideas!

Essentially under the pavement is a rotating magnet. On your car is a receiver that is also magnetic or something like that. The magnet rotates under the car causing the car side to rotate turning a generator like the regen system.

Here it is:
Magnet-based wireless EV charger could be smaller, safer, and cheaper

However, I wouldn't call it simpler than induction charging, nor safer. So instead of generating heat when it misbehaves, it imparts kinetic energy to whatever nails, screws and other metal objects happen to be lying on top of it? Uhh...

Been so busy I forgot to post this email I received the other day:

PP.JPG

Takes you here: Prelaunch | Plugless Power

Kit currently only for the Leaf and Volt (which is fine, at the charge rate, it would be useless for us anyway except for a trickle at a drive through or quick run into starbucks)

There's another thread on this already. But yea, it is slow. But that said, I think this is the future of EV charging for the daily driver. I could imagine a scenario where everyone's daily charging needs would be met with a wireless home charger like this and one would only plug in to a rapid charger when traveling or for occasional heavy driving days. While I am certainly in agreement that plugging in daily is not taxing or time consuming, one could argue the same way about using a metal key to unlock and then start a car...a proximity key isn't essential, but is certianly a nice convenience. A wireless system like this would completely eliminate concerns about remembering to plug in for those who are prone to such things (yes, I have teens who's first car will be electric!).

I certainly think that this Bosch solution has many flaws, but it is a nice first step and I think we'll see improvements over the next several years keeping or exceeding the pace of EV acceptance.

Looking at this example of EV bus wireless charging experiment in Japan, it looks certainly doable and require a little more R&D. For parked cars.
There must be another set of technologies for moving cars though.

日本経済新è￾ž
This experiment was (in Japanese) use 35 kW wireless charger to charge an EV bus with 35 kWh battery. They said the mist difficult thing was to align the bus perfectly on the wireless charger, but the female drivers all said it's much easier than plugging it in. Power loss is only 10% of 35 kW.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

10% loss is terrible?
You think charging with HPWC at 20 kW is more efficient? Really?

This low-power WC could easily loose less energy than higher power conductive charging.
Of course low-power conductive charging looses the least but I have yet to meet one that charges at low power because of higher efficiency.

Is Wireless EV Charging the Better Way?

Design News - Is Wireless EV Charging the Better Way?

10 kW! Not bad.

Wireless car charging will take a small step forward early next year as New York University installs roadway-based magnetic resonance chargers that look like manhole covers.

The chargers, weighing approximately 50 pounds apiece, will be embedded in the pavement and sit flush with the roadway. Electric vehicles that park above them will be able to recharge at power levels as high as 10 kW, meaning that a large plug-in hybrid battery could theoretically be refilled from 20 percent to 80 percent in as little as an hour.

”What we’re making here is the fueling station of the future,” Steven Monks, chief operating officer of HEVO Power, told Design News. “Drivers don’t want to get out of their cars to charge up when it’s raining. And many aren’t comfortable holding a 240V line. This works better with their expectations of electric vehicle technology.”

Item on msn.co.uk today

Wireless charging roads
F21BFD435EEA118B429E5D6C9DAF8A.jpg

Studio Roosegaarde
Wireless charging roads could help reduce the cost of manufacturing EVs

We’re already starting to use wireless charging for electric buses in places like Korea, Germany and Italy, but newer, smarter, charge-equipped roads are being envisaged for electric cars, too. The advantage this would have for electric cars is that they wouldn’t need a massive battery because less storage is required on the go, which would in turn help trim their cost. A special lane reserved exclusively for electric cars would also work a bit like the high occupancy vehicle lanes in the US – their lack of congestion giving car buyers another reason to go electric.

Another and better way of charging wireless. :cool:

Charged EVs | Fraunhofer Institute develops front-end wireless charging system

Most wireless EV charging systems use an induction coil on the underside of the vehicle and a floor-mounted charging station, but researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Systems and Device Technology (IISB) in Germany are developing an alternative method that makes the connection at the front end of the vehicle. This addresses a number of problems.
According to the Fraunhofer team, the underside approach requires larger, more powerful coils because of the gap of up to 15 cm between car and ground, which drives up costs. With the front-end system, the car is positioned almost touching the induction source, allowing for the use of smaller coils: 10 cm instead of 80 cm across.