Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Phone Charger by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email that mine shipped!
Ordered 6/4. Arriving Tuesday!
2C5A8723-8F2D-4380-8771-D3348AC2CE39.jpeg

CB47F9A0-1A2B-4EC9-9182-AD1B83DD7EC1.jpeg

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Just got it delivered today. I’ve included some pictures of the box, the charger, and the setup in my car. I’ll start testing it out tomorrow. So far I have it with a splitter on the right side and my phone (iPhone X) seems to be charging fine on either side.

It comes with a bottom piece (it slides in just like the other bottom piece) that serves as a lip to hold the phone.

I’m able to lift up the tray all the way without issue. This is probably because the top of the charging mat is tapered.

Initial impressions: it’s a bit of a dust magnet but the fit is snug.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Attachments

• A8BD657C-7D77-4E4E-8C2E-2DD299090A7A.jpeg
    A8BD657C-7D77-4E4E-8C2E-2DD299090A7A.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 172
  • A3E58424-C11E-4AFD-870F-A10B7522050C.jpeg
    A3E58424-C11E-4AFD-870F-A10B7522050C.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 156
  • FCB439F8-437F-43E8-910E-794CE3FE5CD0.jpeg
    FCB439F8-437F-43E8-910E-794CE3FE5CD0.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 146
  • C2499114-B8C7-487A-8527-BDDE7E9DE50B.jpeg
    C2499114-B8C7-487A-8527-BDDE7E9DE50B.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 53DAEC8F-1990-47E0-B26D-4DD1DAF75CC7.jpeg
    53DAEC8F-1990-47E0-B26D-4DD1DAF75CC7.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 160
  • B9D8DD90-9E2E-4441-AE4A-88D53551DE71.jpeg
    B9D8DD90-9E2E-4441-AE4A-88D53551DE71.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Just got it delivered today. I’ve included some pictures of the box, the charger, and the setup in my car. I’ll start testing it out tomorrow. So far I have it with a splitter on the right side and my phone (iPhone X) seems to be charging fine on either side.

It comes with a bottom piece (it slides in just like the other bottom piece) that serves as a lip to hold the phone.

I’m able to lift up the tray all the way without issue. This is probably because the top of the charging mat is tapered.

Initial impressions: it’s a bit of a dust magnet but the fit is snug.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.
Got mine too a day early, no need to post photos since you already did

I got mine today and ran extensive charging speed tests using the Ampere app on my Pixel 3.

I used direct plug into the usb, usb with splitter, usb Qi 3.0 capable 12v aux, and Qi 3.0 capable battery pack. I tested the official Tesla model, the Taptes model, and the Jeda 2.0 model. I found that the draw was almost identical among all of the units. The max 640ma on the aux but most could get around 600ma and all of them would very up and down during the charge. I found that none of them charged particularly fast, which is a shame. The Tesla has a very rubbery thick pad similar to the Jeda, but maybe a little more premium. I plan on keeping the Tesla model and selling the other two. I didn't have the Nomad to compare, so if someone has it, check using an app and maybe that would complete the testing. One difference in the Tesla, is that it comes with a new shiny black lip. It has a small overhang that the the phone slightly slips under. This can keep it from bumping up and falling into the console. The Tesla does not have a horizontal charger, so if you really need it, go with the Jeda. I think the Tesla does have a larger charging spot, so it is easier to start charging by just dropping it into the plate.

My pick is the Tesla, but if you want cheaper, the Taptes charges around the same rate.

Todd in Torrance

Finally had time to unpack the Tesla charger I received yesterday. Looks very well made, with a very grippy anti-slip surface. The underside is molded to fit into the car's tray perfectly. The two nubs at the bottom go into the channels that normally hold the plugs. You place the charger in the tray, slide in the replacement piano-black trim piece, and the charger sits perfectly firm without any wiggle at all. Very nice. You can of course close the lid with a phone on the pad, and also easily lift the tray with the charger to access the USB ports in the front compartment (this was a bit cumbersome with the Taptes, since the top edge wasn't beveled and it would scrape against the underside of the lid).

Some measurements:
- The Tesla pad is about 12mm thick at the bottom half (for comparison, the Taptes is about 7mm thick)
- There is about 178mm vertical room between the lower base where the phone rests and the underside of the lid when fully opened; for comparison, the Taptes has about 167mm room, so the Tesla pad has about 1cm more vertical room to fit large phones)

The center of the charging coils is about 72mm from the bottom of the pad, so it fits e.g. my iPhone 8 with thin case (about 140mm tall) almost perfectly. However, interestingly the coils in the charger don't have a circular shape like in the other chargers, but are oval, which probably means the charger will deal a bit better with phones of varying sizes. There is also a metal shielding behind the coils that the other chargers don't have.

Here are some pictures of the back side and the interior:

charger1.jpg

charger2.jpg

charger3.jpg

So it IS different from the others on the market?
Contrary to the various rumors they are all different. ;)

I think the Tesla pad has by far the best fit, and as written above it will probably transmit power more efficiently to phones of different sizes due to the large oval coils (which may result in faster charging and less heat). My recommendation would be: if you are willing to spend $100+ on a Qi charger, don't need horizontal charging and don't use a thick case, get the Tesla. Otherwise get the Taptes gen 2. Jeda and Nomad will have a hard time selling at the current prices IMO.

Odd question, but is the trim piece included because the stock trim is too narrow to allow a phone to sit on the charger and rest between the trim’s lip? I’m planning on getting Tesla’s charger when it’s back in stock, but will have to find somewhere that sells matte black vinyl for the trim piece if phone fitment while charging is an issue with the stock trim.

After using the charger for a day it seems to be working as intended. I charged on each side of the pad and my phone didn’t move while driving.

I also previously used the Nomad and Jeda (ver. 2) so I figured I’d give a quick comparison.

Comparing it to the Nomad charger is a pretty even match. It doesn’t have the indicator lights when a phone is charging (or fully charged) but I’d say that’s a matter personal preference.

Comparing it to the Jeda is a different story. It doesn’t charge horizontally or have the ability to charge with a wired connection but overall I prefer the fit and finish over the Jeda. I also experienced overheating issues with the Jeda, so I definitely prefer Tesla’s version.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Odd question, but is the trim piece included because the stock trim is too narrow to allow a phone to sit on the charger and rest between the trim’s lip? I’m planning on getting Tesla’s charger when it’s back in stock, but will have to find somewhere that sells matte black vinyl for the trim piece if phone fitment while charging is an issue with the stock trim.

The trim piece is thicker (higher) to allow for the thickness of the pad. Will also accommodate a case. As for the vinyl. This sample will work:
https://www.amazon.com/MATTE-BLACK-...fix=3m+1080+matte+,aps,155&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

There are lots of other options on Amazon by Vvidid. Personally I bought a 5’ x 1’ roll.

Contrary to the various rumors they are all different. ;)

I think the Tesla pad has by far the best fit, and as written above it will probably transmit power more efficiently to phones of different sizes due to the large oval coils (which may result in faster charging and less heat). My recommendation would be: if you are willing to spend $100+ on a Qi charger, don't need horizontal charging and don't use a thick case, get the Tesla. Otherwise get the Taptes gen 2. Jeda and Nomad will have a hard time selling at the current prices IMO.

If not getting the Tesla one for perfect fit then there are some super cheap options to be had, I got mine off of AliExpress for $32 Canadian shipped! Came from China in two weeks. Works great. Paying upwards of $50 US for a Taptes, $100+ for a Jeda or Nomad seems crazy to me..

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Do those who have the Tesla Charger see it as having more room for a taller phone than the Nomad? My N8 barely fits the Nomad. The N10 is supposed to be even taller.

I can’t say for sure because I no longer have the Nomad but the Tesla charger may have more room. This is because the Nomad charger has a built-in lip while the Tesla charger does not. The Tesla charger uses a separate piece so there may be more room vertically. I’d say if your phone fits the normal Tesla wired charging mat, it has a decent chance fitting the Tesla wireless charging mat.