Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring for Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electrician stated for a 60 amp service he could not legally use Romex (NM-B)
Well, the way that's stated is false. There are some jurisdictions that forbid the use of Romex for anything. Period. (Chicago is one example.) So EVERYTHING has to put in wires in conduit.

He said that Service Entrance cable was rated for I believe 65 amps where Romex was only rated for 55 amps.
Again, not really accurate, because no one is mentioning the wire gauge.

This is just about using a correct wire type AND GAUGE that meets the criteria for the circuit rating. 4 gauge Romex is thick stuff and has a rating of 70A. Of course it can be used for a 60A circuit.

For some reason, some people get really obsessed with 6 gauge only and then make incorrect blanket statements like "Romex isn't allowed." No, that's just too thin a version of Romex.

Reactions: Thp3
Well, the way that's stated is false. There are some jurisdictions that forbid the use of Romex for anything. Period. (Chicago is one example.) So EVERYTHING has to put in wires in conduit.

Again, not really accurate, because no one is mentioning the wire gauge.

This is just about using a correct wire type AND GAUGE that meets the criteria for the circuit rating. 4 gauge Romex is thick stuff and has a rating of 70A. Of course it can be used for a 60A circuit.

For some reason, some people get really obsessed with 6 gauge only and then make incorrect blanket statements like "Romex isn't allowed." No, that's just too thin a version of Romex.
Yep, I used 4/3 romex for my 60 amp breakers, and boy was that stuff expensive, worked on my 75 amp breaker to code also.
At least they passed it.

The other warning I have is to make sure your connections are all torqued properly - a bad connection can negate properly sized wire and be a fire risk.
Not saying you are wrong in any way (because I am sure the correct torque helps to make connections safer), but I have honestly never seen an electrician use a torque wrench. Is that really common practice in other areas?

Not saying you are wrong in any way (because I am sure the correct torque helps to make connections safer), but I have honestly never seen an electrician use a torque wrench. Is that really common practice in other areas?
I can't say how common the practice is; the torques are specified for various devices and the NEC states all devices must be installed per the manufacturer instructions/specifications. There is also a level of experience involved - after you have done enough you have an idea of how tight is tight enough.

Interesting

I am getting my Wall Connector installed Tuesday of next week. My electrician stated for a 60 amp service he could not legally use Romex (NM-B) He is going to use 6 AWG “Copper Service Entrance” cable for the run from the breaker panel, though the attic. Then conduit down the garage wall and transition to flex to the Tesla Wall Connector. He said that Service Entrance cable was rated for I believe 65 amps where Romex was only rated for 55 amps.

He charges actual material cost and bills his labor rate for the actual number of hours it takes. He said he estimated it at 3 hours and that would be $800 total. If would likely only take 2 hours and if so the charge would be less. It’s 50 feet of Service entrance cable, conduit where it comes down the garage wall from the attic and any other parts needed.

I’ll post update after it’s installed.
Update as promised.

Electrician removed existing 40/30 amp Eaton EVSE

Electrician used 6-6-8 Southwire copper CU SEU (service entrance cable) and wired it to a 60 amp breaker. 2-blacks plus stranded ground. He claimed couldn’t use 6/3 NM-B over 55 amps but it was ok to use Copper SEU cable protected with a 60 amp breaker.

He did several tighten/wiggle steps of the stranded wire before setting final torque on the connections.

cable was $4.50/ft, needed 50 feet
other parts = 60 amp DP breaker, pvc conduit to run up on garage wall exterior, cable clamps, tap cons, wall anchors plus misc hardware
2.5 hours labor @ $120/hr plus $69 trip fee = $309
——————-
$667 total

Last edited:
Update as promised.

Electrician removed existing 40/30 amp Eaton EVSE

Electrician used 6-6-8 Southwire copper CU SEU (service entrance cable) and wired it to a 60 amp breaker. 2-blacks plus stranded ground. He claimed couldn’t use 6/3 NM-B over 55 amps but it was ok to use Copper SEU cable protected with a 60 amp breaker.

He did several tighten/wiggle steps of the stranded wire before setting final torque on the connections.

cable was $4.50/ft, needed 50 feet
other parts = 60 amp DP breaker, pvc conduit to run up on garage wall exterior, cable clamps, tap cons, wall anchors plus misc hardware
2.5 hours labor @ $120/hr plus $69 trip fee = $309
——————-
$667 total
That's a great price! 👍🏻
Which are of the county are you in?