Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wish list for Model 3 OTA updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has produced a wonderful product that is more intuitive than anything else I have experienced on the market. We are enjoying the freedom from buttons and the continual software updates. I do have a wish list of "software only" upgrades.

1) Voice-activated climate controls. Windshield wipers, seats, and fans are some of the few items left that require manual interaction with the touchscreen. I like the automated wipers and understand Tesla's approach to using existing sensors to eliminate adding parts to the vehicle. Currently, there are four manual setting. There seems to be a need for a 5th interval. Front heated seats are easy enough to access on the main. Access to the rear is a little distracting. A set of canned voice commands here for wipers, seats, and fan controls would be awesome.
2) Pedestrian warning. The Chevy Volt got this one right by adding a gentle sound by pressing the end of the right steering stalk. Currently, the Model 3 uses this for the windshield wiper. Would be nice to add this function with maybe a double tap here? Surely the easter egg/xmas sound that Tesla could add would be as cool as the Atari addon.

Convenience:
  • location-specific option to *not* auto-lock on walk away (don’t want to lock vehicle at home in my garage)
  • easier means to engage no A/C *and* no heat (just outside air)
  • do not run the A/C and heater when the car is not occupied (no butts in seats) unless specifically turned on manually. For example, when packing/unpacking car stop trying to heat or cool the entire garage.
Charging:
  • option to schedule charging to complete by given time
Media System:
  • often can’t start Bluetooth audio from car’s screen (play button disabled), have to start from phone
  • no access to playlists/songs/artists/etc via Bluetooth
  • would like access to Apple’s CarPlay
Autopilot:
  • needs to lower speed *before* reaching lower speed zone, not after!
  • following distance should not be used for stopping distance in stop and go traffic (stop closer)
  • needs to react much more smoothly to cars merging ahead or changing speed
  • speed change on freeway exits is way too abrupt
  • doesn’t hold position in freeway lane when a lane merges in from right
  • can’t trust traffic-aware cruise control due to occasional and dangerous phantom braking: want interim option for “dumb” cruise control where it will not brake for anything, so I can trust it on long highway cruising and not have to be constantly alert for completely unexpected braking

Reactions: Glamisduner
Charging:

Just to add a tiny bit to this. I owned a Ford Fusion Energi PHEV. One of my favourite options was something called "My Go Time".

You set the time you would be needing the vehicle (2 times per day) and the preferred cabin temperature you wanted. The car would heat or cool the vehicle for you to be ready at that time.

So, I would wish for a "Tesla Takeoff Time", where we set what time we need the vehicle and cabin temperature. The vehicle then calculates what time to start charging and heating or cooling.

It is a feature I miss.

Vin

Whoops, and how could I forget:

Efficiency – reduce “vampire drain” as much as possible while vehicle is not in use:
  • difficult to leave vehicle at airport or backpacking trailhead, etc.
  • terrible waste when multiplied by all vehicles worldwide
  • see RAV4 EV electronics (even with Tesla battery system plus over-the-air remote access and key fob detection), it used much less energy per day than any Tesla so far

Last edited:
Convenience:
  • location-specific option to *not* auto-lock on walk away (don’t want to lock vehicle at home in my garage)
  • easier means to engage no A/C *and* no heat (just outside air)
  • do not run the A/C and heater when the car is not occupied (no butts in seats) unless specifically turned on manually. For example, when packing/unpacking car stop trying to heat or cool the entire garage.
Charging:
Media System:
  • often can’t start Bluetooth audio from car’s screen (play button disabled), have to start from phone
  • no access to playlists/songs/artists/etc via Bluetooth
  • would like access to Apple’s CarPlay
Autopilot:
  • needs to lower speed *before* reaching lower speed zone, not after!
  • following distance should not be used for stopping distance in stop and go traffic (stop closer)
  • needs to react much more smoothly to cars merging ahead or changing speed
  • speed change on freeway exits is way too abrupt
  • doesn’t hold position in freeway lane when a lane merges in from right
  • can’t trust traffic-aware cruise control due to occasional and dangerous phantom braking: want interim option for “dumb” cruise control where it will not brake for anything, so I can trust it on long highway cruising and not have to be constantly alert for completely unexpected braking
I agree completely with the geo-fenced lock on walk away. Likewise wish I could leave it unlocked in home garage.

Also, with latest update, the seat heaters are remembered until turned off. Turn the seat heater on and the drivers profile “Save” icon spins for a sec, and unless you turn it off, it comes on next time you power up the car.

I also want to be able to schedule leaving time on the charging panel configurable from the phone app. If my plans change, do I again want to go to the garage, “unlock the car” (see above) and then change the leaving time?