Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

with most cars being able to use Tesla SC will Level 2 AP on other brands make u leave Tesla behind?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With many auto brands being able to use Tesla Superchargers soon and some brands now allowing you to drive Level 3 hands off in traffic on freeways I would be hard pressed to select another Tesla. I have owned a 2016 Model X and a 2022 Model X Plaid. I have paid for Autopilot twice. After 7 years and 200k miles of Tesla its getting a little tiring being stuck in traffic and getting nagged by the handson system which doesnt seem to work very well unless you express jiggle the wheel and now getting nagged by the camera. I have been a great Tesla fan and gotten family and friends to buy Tesla but I have to say that at least in traffic/highway use the AP is falling being the competition. I dont use AP on side roads as I dont find it very reliable. The company seems to be happy with the status quo in highway use. I disagree? I prob will get a MB w Level 3 next time with Tesla SC access.

I haven't found another vehicle that has AP that works as well as 2016 Mobileye. Would be nice to have a subjective comparison of all AP options out there.

I could see myself going to MB if all other things were equal, solely for the improved service experience.

Reactions: CDrury
I would be willing to consider it. For me, the problem with AP/FSD is not the nags (for some reason I never have a problem with this--I just keep my hand on the wheel with a slight amount of pressure which is not a big deal for me). What IS a big deal for me though is the constant unnecessary lane changes, even when I select Minimal Lane Changes. That, and the cost (I did buy into AP in 2018, and my wife's used Model Y already had it on it). I think the competition's offerings are almost as good (and in some ways better) than Tesla's for much less cost.

I could see myself going to MB if all other things were equal, solely for the improved service experience.
Personally prefer cars where I don't need service ;)

5 years of Model 3 - I've had 4 services. 2 done at home. 2 in service center with minimal fuss.
I haven't found another vehicle that has AP that works as well as 2016 Mobileye.
I think that is just nostalgia.

I had a Model 3 and understand your perspective. I prefer cars that have every option, all the bells and whistles, and those cars historically require more service.

I have FSDb on my 2020 and it is not as good in many situations as my 2016. It's capabilities are impressive, don't get me wrong. It's just not an enjoyable experience to use for my use case.

The continous nagging really makes it a bear to try to be a good beta tester and use it frequently. It used to be much better, now its so bad I won't drive on the freeway cross country with it, I flip it back to regular AP and put tape over the camera and it works much better. I do know about holding toque with 1 hand (tiring) and paying attention to the road with my eyes (obvious). My issues are always 'please apply toque to the wheel' (then I apply just a little bit more in the same direction and it disengages since I was already holding a couple of pounds of torque). No strikeouts, just continuous unabated annoying nags.

2 of my friends have had similar experience with their Y's, we formed a pact: on a bogus nag we yank the wheel to disengage then leave a comment "hit pedestrian in crosswalk". One of my friends was swearing like a sailor in the comment feedback, that's what gave us the idea to get them to *maybe* pay a little more attention to the invalid nags with something they might care about (vs being sweared at). We also started doing it with the recently crazy wiper behavior: force a disconnect then claim an accident to get them to pay attention to the long term issues that make it hard to use in practice. I'm sure they use automated tools to find scenarios in the beta telemetry/video so this is pointless but it makes us feel a little better all the same.

A little polite transparency from Tesla would go a long way. Just acknowledge there's a specific problem with a given release and its being worked on, maybe set some expectations and/or give some background info. Today any attempt at feedback or info queries are met with an indifferent and hostile blank wall.

This isn’t just about lane changes and nags. It is also about expanded options. I always felt I had no choice in EV’s based on the Tesla charging network. Nothing compares. Soon there will be a lot of options in EV’s using NACS inc. BMW, Mercedes, Fisker, Lucid etc.
Agreed. Once that situation changes and lots of EVs in the US come with NACS sockets, the next time we shop for a car things will be very different indeed.

This isn’t just about lane changes and nags. It is also about expanded options. I always felt I had no choice in EV’s based on the Tesla charging network. Nothing compares. Soon there will be a lot of options in EV’s using NACS inc. BMW, Mercedes, Fisker, Lucid etc.
Yes - thats why I was surprised Tesla opened the network and even more surprised the stock price shot up so much on the news !

I always felt I had no choice in EV’s based on the Tesla charging network. Nothing compares. Soon there will be a lot of options in EV’s using NACS inc. BMW, Mercedes, Fisker, Lucid etc.
Except that NACS adoption is only the tip of the iceberg. They need access to chargers. Tesla is opening up 12,000 chargers to competitors sometime in 2024 (over the course of 2024?), but Tesla vehicles have access to many more. So it looks like Tesla is trying to broaden the appeal of EVs for all manufacturers while retaining their competitive advantage - and making money off the other EVs. I don't expect Tesla to kill the golden goose that makes their vehicles so attractive, so they'll always have many more chargers reserved to Tesla owners.

With so many bad trip charging experiences, there was a risk that all the other manufacturers would taint the EV marketplace and hurt the whole evolution to EVs.

Tesla did the right thing by sharing his charging technology with the world.

Tesla is rolling out new Supercharger locations that ever before. They have gotten $Billions from the government to put them along the highways.

This will give the entire EV industry a great boost.

Tesla can build additional Supercharger locations faster that all the rest of the competitors combined.

Reactions: KJD
Except that NACS adoption is only the tip of the iceberg. They need access to chargers. Tesla is opening up 12,000 chargers to competitors sometime in 2024 (over the course of 2024?), but Tesla vehicles have access to many more. So it looks like Tesla is trying to broaden the appeal of EVs for all manufacturers while retaining their competitive advantage - and making money off the other EVs. I don't expect Tesla to kill the golden goose that makes their vehicles so attractive, so they'll always have many more chargers reserved to Tesla owners.
This is probably referring to the fact that V2 superchargers will not work with non-Tesla vehicles. I wouldn't really call those stations "reserved." V2 is less desirable to Tesla drivers as well since they cap out at 150kw and share output between neighboring stalls. That said, they're still better than nothing in a charging desert. I'd wager that the early non-Tesla NACS cars will still need CCS >> NACS adapters for charging coverage in remote areas on other networks until Tesla either replaces their V2 superchargers with V3/V4 or builds new V3/V4 stations to cover the area.

Reactions: Rocky_H and JB47394
I will say the hands free driving (Assisted Driving Mode Plus) in my BMW iX is really good. Its apparently divided highway only but is completely hands free. You half press the turn signal lever and it will scan the adjacent lane and when clear will change lanes for you. It uses the driver facing camera to make sure you are facing forward/watching the road and will chime if you look away too long. It can also be used in stop n go traffic hands free down to full stop and will restart on its own. Im happy with it. Was part of the $2300 Driving Assistant Pro package, which includes forward/reverse/parallel auto parking too. Now when I can charge at Tesla superchargers at Bucees at some point will be great.

Reactions: KJD
The continous nagging really makes it a bear to try to be a good beta tester and use it frequently. It used to be much better, now its so bad I won't drive on the freeway cross country with it, I flip it back to regular AP and put tape over the camera and it works much better. I do know about holding toque with 1 hand (tiring) and paying attention to the road with my eyes (obvious). My issues are always 'please apply toque to the wheel' (then I apply just a little bit more in the same direction and it disengages since I was already holding a couple of pounds of torque). No strikeouts, just continuous unabated annoying nags.

2 of my friends have had similar experience with their Y's, we formed a pact: on a bogus nag we yank the wheel to disengage then leave a comment "hit pedestrian in crosswalk". One of my friends was swearing like a sailor in the comment feedback, that's what gave us the idea to get them to *maybe* pay a little more attention to the invalid nags with something they might care about (vs being sweared at). We also started doing it with the recently crazy wiper behavior: force a disconnect then claim an accident to get them to pay attention to the long term issues that make it hard to use in practice. I'm sure they use automated tools to find scenarios in the beta telemetry/video so this is pointless but it makes us feel a little better all the same.

A little polite transparency from Tesla would go a long way. Just acknowledge there's a specific problem with a given release and its being worked on, maybe set some expectations and/or give some background info. Today any attempt at feedback or info queries are met with an indifferent and hostile blank wall.

Rather than yank the wheel, just move the volume thumbwheel up/down a notch. Moving the cruise speed thumbwheel also works.

With many auto brands being able to use Tesla Superchargers soon and some brands now allowing you to drive Level 3 hands off in traffic on freeways I would be hard pressed to select another Tesla.
But how useful is their L3 feature with all of the included restrictions? I thought I read that when it was being reviewed for an article that they could only engage the L3 feature for about 10 minutes of a one hour highway drive. (So about 16% of the time.)