Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wither AP1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen any reports of recent FW updates for AP1 cars.

Are they actively being worked on? Or are we 'stuck' with no further improvements.
It has already been declared hundreds of times that hold HW1 cars will still be getting updates. Surprised you missed it after so long. In fact I'm sure a simple Google Search could answered your main question.

I haven't seen any reports of recent FW updates for AP1 cars.
Are they actively being worked on? Or are we 'stuck' with no further improvements.

Two things in play here.

1. Software development for AP1 is mature at this point. The software is stable and working, improvements are minimal. The updates for AP2 are currently to catch AP2 up with AP1 and may seem much more frequent with batches of small releases. I have not noticed any update to my AP2 that my AP1 didn't already have.

2. While Tesla has stated AP1 will still be worked on, I would not be at all surprised for their efforts to be concentrated on the new autopilot systems. I would not tie this to hardware, but rather software that's been brought in house vs AP1 previously being outsourced. There are articles stating AP2 development was delayed due to the lack of knowledge transfer from MobileEye (AP1) Any new developments would have to be vetted through both processes, which could be costly. This also means the current priority is development work to transfer and enable AP2, especially with M3's gearing up to hit the road.

When that happens, I would not be surprised to see AP1 "new development" be limited to maintenance and safety features. Elon has publicly acknowledged the limits of AP1 hardware were being approached, so there may be very little new features; but we can take comfort in knowing that it won't be abandoned.

slightly off topic.... but while my AP2 90D is in the service center getting "cameras aligned" because my TACC stopped working.... Tesla sent me off in a loaner P90DL with AP1.

I must say (sigh) that AP1 does a very very good job! I love how the display tracks up to six vehicles, depicts trucks nicely, does signal-initiated lane changes well, handles freeway stop and go beautifully, etc. This on a rainy day on the I5 curves near Portland.

Someday we AP2 owners will get parity then better (I hope). But there's no denying that if I only had AP1 I would be a very happy camper. Kind of makes me wish I'd gone for an inventory car and gotten "free" P and/or L via the discounts vs waiting for AP2 and pre-purchasing EAP and FSD like I did....

Reactions: umeshunni
Sure - but the last update for AP1 was in Dec 2016 - 3 months ago. This qualifies as the longest I've seen us go without an update since I got the car back in May.
Elon Musk did tweet that they were focusing on getting AP2.0 on par with AP1.0 (and rightly so). Sounds like they still have a little ways to go before that happens.

So, I wouldn't expect any updates (even if they have them ready) until they get AP2.0 issues sorted out because it could really piss off all those AP2.0 customers.