Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wondering why my new model 3 is on such old firmware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning model 3 crew. I picked my car up 2 weeks ago, 9/19 build, 477xxx vin. It is running firmware 2019.27.103. After reading around on here it looks like that is several versions older than the latest. I have wifi on, updates set to advanced, and even parked at a service center for a couple hours on their wifi. Havent received anything. The car runs good, no issues, just wondering when I'll get some new features?

Morning model 3 crew. I picked my car up 2 weeks ago, 9/19 build, 477xxx vin. It is running firmware 2019.27.103. After reading around on here it looks like that is several versions older than the latest. I have wifi on, updates set to advanced, and even parked at a service center for a couple hours on their wifi. Havent received anything. The car runs good, no issues, just wondering when I'll get some new features?
Have you tried scheduling service and choosing Software Update?

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865
I've posted this exact same info quite a few times in various threads, so I apologize to you peeps that have seen it before.

The following is complete supposition on my part. I have zero information to back this up, but it sounds like a darn good theory...

When I picked up my car in August, I called my SA and asked him to make sure that the most current software was installed on the car before I picked it up. He replied that it was standard procedure (and part of the delivery checklist that they have to complete internally on each car) to make sure that the software was up to date.

There is a big (well, little in actuality, but big as far as software goes) difference between the cars that have been delivered starting September 1, and cars delivered earlier. The September 1 cars and newer have to have the Pedestrian Warning System activated.

IMO, the .27.xxx software we are seeing on the cars that have been delivered since September 1 is a fork of the software that specifically supports the Pedestrian Warning System.

As such, it is the most current software version that supports your car. I wouldn't be surprised to see cars that are on this different code fork be combined back into the rest of the fleet with v10, which started rolling out yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Also, keep in mind that there is little evidence to show that, even though your version number is .27, your car is missing any significant (if any) functionality or feature set. Just because the latest non v10 version was .32.x.x for non PWS equipped cars, and yours is .27.xxx, the two forks were developed using their own numbering system, and as such you can not compare the version numbers to determine equivalent functionality.

I'd be willing to bet that your car has the same functionality and feature set as a non Pedestrian Warning System car that is running .32.2.2.

Also .32 and .27 are a mere 5 weeks apart

This isnt like you were given a 6 month old software.

Just compare this to any other company where the car could have sat in a lot for months and also will never get updates

Just relax, connect to wifi and enjoy features when they show up

I'm curious if the firmware is flashed after the car is assembled or if the electronics are flashed with firmware as they are manufactured prior to installing. So, in this case maybe the electronics were produced a month or so before being installed on a new car

I'm curious if the firmware is flashed after the car is assembled or if the electronics are flashed with firmware as they are manufactured prior to installing. So, in this case maybe the electronics were produced a month or so before being installed on a new car
I don’t think the firmware is updated after the car is assembled. At least not in my case. I bought my M3 at the end of May, it has a build date about 2 weeks earlier, and my firmware upon delivery was from around Dec of 2018.

Mine was delivered on 9/14 and was also at .27... biggest issue I had was the car kept dropping out of FSD/Autosteer... way more often that I thought was acceptable. About a week later, the car notified me of an update to .32. After I applied that update, the Autosteer issue went away. I haven’t used Autosteer since the v10 update a couple days ago.... hoping for additional improvement there.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Mine was delivered on 9/14 and was also at .27... biggest issue I had was the car kept dropping out of FSD/Autosteer... way more often that I thought was acceptable. About a week later, the car notified me of an update to .32. After I applied that update, the Autosteer issue went away. I haven’t used Autosteer since the v10 update a couple days ago.... hoping for additional improvement there.

Cheers!
That’s great to hear that firmware .27.xxx cars are getting v10! Does your car have the Pedestrian Warning System? I’m assuming it does since you had .27.xxx firmware, but want to be completely sure.